Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Gretzky memorabilia auction.

I'll bet this is the very helmet he's wearing on his rookie card..

Gretzky rookie era helmet

Has anyone been following this auction? There's a collector in Ft McMurray, Alberta (home of the Canadian oil sands) who's selling off his Gretzky collection. His '86-87 jersey is already over $126,000!

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if it will sell for more than his rookie card. The jersey price is more than I would have thought. Sure wish I hadn't passed on his 87 Team Canada game worn jersey for $15k. Of course, that was back in 1991. Lemieux'c was available as well - only 10K.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The '87 Canada Cup (at least the Canada-USSR series) was probably the greatest tournament ever. I wonder where those jerseys reside now?
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The '87 Canada Cup (at least the Canada-USSR series) was probably the greatest tournament ever. I wonder where those jerseys reside now? >>

You must be Canadian image

Yes, it was fantastic hockey, but many in the US put 1980 a notch above that image
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder if it will sell for more than his rookie card. The jersey price is more than I would have thought. Sure wish I hadn't passed on his 87 Team Canada game worn jersey for $15k. Of course, that was back in 1991. Lemieux'c was available as well - only 10K. >>

Would rather have Lemieux's jersey from that tourny, although I imagine the Gretz jersey is worth much more. That white uni has to be a 250K+ jersey.

The game winner is my favorite goal ever, and the most iconic hockey moment of my generation. Murphy was never getting that puck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruloAuFazcg
  • Options
    If I was super loaded I would buy his equipment bag and that jofa and wear them to a beer league game. Just for fun I may ask the auction house what size the skates are.
  • Options
    It doesn't show it on that youtube clip, but if you ever see the entire play from different angles, the refs missed an obvious interference/hooking penalty
    on Dale Hawerchuk. If Hawerchuk didn't hook the Russian at center ice, then that Russian has Lemieux checked on that winning shot. Refs ate the whistle in OT.

Obvious non-call that gave Canada the win
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't show it on that youtube clip, but if you ever see the entire play from different angles, the refs missed an obvious interference/hooking penalty
    on Dale Hawerchuk. If Hawerchuk didn't hook the Russian at center ice, then that Russian has Lemieux checked on that winning shot. Refs ate the whistle in OT.

Obvious non-call that gave Canada the win >>

Lemieux jumped the draw as well, he was halfway in the circle when the puck dropped.

Love that goal, so much going on.
  • Options
    Yeah, I love that goal too. What could be better then Gretzky-Lemieux against the hated Russians ?

Still, deep in my heart I know the goal wasn't legit, but a little part of me doesn't care.
  • Options

<< <i>You must be Canadian >>

I'll say this-- born in the States but am a dual citizen. As far as upsets go, then yes, the US over the Soviets in 1980 is the greatest American sports moment ever. But in terms of a balls-to-the-wall fight to determine the country of hockey supremacy on planet Earth, the '87 Canada Cup was IT.

(Though, yes, the ref who didn't call the Hawerchuk interference was thinking of nothing else than self preservation.)
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, I love that goal too. What could be better then Gretzky-Lemieux against the hated Russians ?

Still, deep in my heart I know the goal wasn't legit, but a little part of me doesn't care. >>

The goal is completely legit IMO. The Russian flopped and even if Lemieux is caught - which is debatable- Gretzky dishes to a wide open Murphy or scores himself.
  • Options
    hockeycrazyhockeycrazy Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Loved the 1980 team but for my money, that 1987 tournament was AMAZING! I have the Gretzky / Lemieux signed picture in my man cave. I am looking at it now as I write this. And I am smiling...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yeah, I love that goal too. What could be better then Gretzky-Lemieux against the hated Russians ?

Still, deep in my heart I know the goal wasn't legit, but a little part of me doesn't care. >>

The goal is completely legit IMO. The Russian flopped and even if Lemieux is caught - which is debatable- Gretzky dishes to a wide open Murphy or scores himself. >>

I agree. You could just feel a goal coming on that play.
  • Options
    It never gets old..

Gretzky to Lemieux

For those of you who are good at making "card that never were" I'd love to see some cards from the 1987-88 OPC made up with players from this Canadian squad in those uniforms. (Sort of like 1991-92 Upper Deck's Canada Cup subset.)
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Better is Hasek carrying the Czech team on his back and stoning about 3 dozen HOF'ers during the Nagano games to take the gold!
  • Options
    Gretzky and Lemieux were two of the greatest of all time.

Hasek had a dominant stretch in the NHL.

The 1980 team didn't have any dominant NHL'er (only Ken Morrow, Mark Johnson, Dave Christian, and Mark Pavelich had decent NHL careers).

What happened in 1987 was exciting. But with Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque, Coffey, Hawerchuk, and others on your team, it shouldn't have been that close.

What happened in 1980 was simply amazing. A bunch of nobody college kids beat a team that whipped the NHL's best. Nothing even comes close.
  • Options

<< <i>

What happened in 1980 was simply amazing. A bunch of nobody college kids beat a team that whipped the NHL's best. Nothing even comes close. >>

Except for David and Goliath.