Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver Spot + What?

I have been thinking of buying a little silver now that it has dropped but I kinda got sticker shock at what they are adding to the price of silver. Like add $6. per common SAE (even in quantity)and even bars and generic rounds seem to have big markups.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what the markups used to be for these items when silver was $30 or $35 or $40?

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Comments

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I'm sorry I missed the question......that jumping avatar thing is......><JUYFDRSR$KL:*IUJIOK
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    physical premiums went up when paper price went down. Don't forget spot price is based on demand of paper future contracts, not on demand for the real stuff. Physical demand is currently high. Used to be able to buy ASEs for about $2-3 over spot. Get used to it as the physical market moves towards setting its own price. I suspect the spread will continue to grow. Only until everyone is trying to dump physical will the premiums remain high. If you think that will occur you probably should not be in the market for physical. I remain in the market.

Also affecting premiums is the fact that most physical currently on the market was bought at a higher spot price and sellers are trying to reduce losses.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    "Also affecting premiums is the fact that most physical currently on the market was bought at a higher spot price and sellers are trying to reduce losses". derryb

Bingo. Take care. jws
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been thinking of buying a little silver now that it has dropped but I kinda got sticker shock at what they are adding to the price of silver. Like add $6. per common SAE (even in quantity)and even bars and generic rounds seem to have big markups.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what the markups used to be for these items when silver was $30 or $35 or $40? >>

Try APMEX. You're going to spend about $2/oz over spot on smaller quantities unless going with 90%.

APMEX Silver Bars
  • Options
    IcollecteverythingIcollecteverything Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the answers.

I am especially interested in the ASE's because I know they are popular and I don't have any. I have some junk silver, bars and rounds but thinking about adding some more. I am thinking it may still drop some more but I don't want to wait now either because I think it will eventually head back to $30 pretty soon.

Last time I checked Apmex was a little over a month ago when the price had first dropped down to $23 something and there were out of about everything. Then I saw their markups jumped when they actually had some stuff for sale. Then I realized that the last time I bought from them I was in a different state, now I am in NY so I assume I will get whacked on sales tax by them?

Sorry the jumping monkey bothers you SUMORADA, anyone else?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry the jumping monkey bothers you SUMORADA, anyone else? >>

Sago, my cat, is a bit disturbed by it.

Whenever I have ebay buck coupons I use moderncoinmart on ebay for ASEs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Also affecting premiums is the fact that most physical currently on the market was bought at a higher spot price and sellers are trying to reduce losses". derryb

Bingo. Take care. jws >>

One billion zillion % agree.

Don't fall into the premium trap.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Also affecting premiums is the fact that most physical currently on the market was bought at a higher spot price and sellers are trying to reduce losses". derryb

Bingo. Take care. jws >>

One billion zillion % agree.

Don't fall into the premium trap. >>

You are 100% wrong. Maybe the little guys in bufu are thinking about it this way but anyone worth dealing with does not take that approach. All the biggest guys hedge. Meaning places like Apmex who have raised premiums are 100% immune as far as the price going down. Supply is just nowhere near the level of demand. If you want the physical product you are going to have to pay for it. Prices are up everywhere. NTR is weeks behind even at higher premiums. Monster boxes of Silver Eagles are backordered weeks at +4 wholesale. This is all the physical market calling BS on the paper market. You will get your lower premiums... when prices go back up and you will be paying more.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hyper moving avatar is very distracting and annoying to many, and likely causes some readers to either ignore your posts, discount your comments as less intelligent than they probably are, and/or actively dislike and avoid your posts. If that's the effect you're going for, it's probably working quite well.

Hint to readers, clicking "stop" or the X in your browser window will halt the irritating motion

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry I missed the question......that jumping avatar thing is......><JUYFDRSR$KL:*IUJIOK >>

Agree. It's very distracting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm sorry I missed the question......that jumping avatar thing is......><JUYFDRSR$KL:*IUJIOK >>

Agree. It's very distracting. >>

Me too.
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. It's very distracting. >>

Me too. >>

Becky---I don't consider you to be distracting except in a good way.image

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    OK, I will freeze the monkey or change to something else once I figure it out. Thanks to all who let me know, the last thing I want to do is irritate anyone. I have seen people post before that there were only certain times that you could change your avatar? I dunno. I could use a break anyway.

• Options

<< <i>OK, I will freeze the monkey or change to something else once I figure it out. Thanks to all who let me know, the last thing I want to do is irritate anyone. I have seen people post before that there were only certain times that you could change your avatar? I dunno. I could use a break anyway. >>

I believe avatar change day is the 15th of each month. Your avatar would be fine if it wasn't jumping around. It's hard to read your most informative posts when there's a jumping monkey next to it.image

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually you can go to "profile" and change it now.

If we are good and don't use objectionable ones, they have been Leaving it on.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been thinking of buying a little silver now that it has dropped but I kinda got sticker shock at what they are adding to the price of silver. Like add $6. per common SAE (even in quantity)and even bars and generic rounds seem to have big markups.

Can anyone help me out and tell me what the markups used to be for these items when silver was $30 or $35 or $40? >>

Whenever silver is flowing freely (relatively) 2 or 3 bucks.

Paper pm demand is down, but physical picked up with the price drop.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Icollecteverything

New avatar looks great.....................image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, much better!

So, if you collect "everything", do you just store it all here in the universe?

Not sure I'm comfortable being part of someone else's collection of human beings. But haven't really noticed so far, so it's probably ok. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, much better!

Not sure I'm comfortable being part of someone else's collection of human beings. But haven't really noticed so far, so it's probably ok. image >>

Now that was funny, got a chuckle out of me. image
  • Options

<< <i>Yep, much better!

Not sure I'm comfortable being part of someone else's collection of human beings. But haven't really noticed so far, so it's probably ok. image >>

Ahhh, busted......I don't really collect "everything". But i thought the name "OvertheryearsatonetimeoranotherIhavecollectedalmosteverything" would have been too long. I have not collected humans although at one time I did try collecting girls. I think my record was when I was 17 I had 10 or 11 girls in my dad's pickup one time.

Thanks again to all for letting me know about the spastic monkey plus the tips on silver.