Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

A GB 2lb Britannia Question

I was looking at the mintage figures for these and all the proofs show a yearly mintage of 2,500 each. But when I see some eBay seller ads for these, some of them say "under 5,500 minted". That got me wondering: do you have to account for not only the single proof issues but also add on the number from the proof sets?

I got the Britannia bug recently and am trying to form a collection of all the proof issues. imageimage

Bob
Retired Air Force 1965-2000
Vietnam Vet 1968-1969

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I would not base any knowledge upon what "some" other eBay sellers say, especially if they're the minority of eBay sellers. Are you getting your 2,500 figures from Krause?
    I haven't looked it up but, in general no I don't add individual mintages to the sets mintages. If a proof coin has a mintage of 1,000 and they made 1,000 proof sets than I interpret that to mean 1,000 total coins were struck. If 2,000 were struck but only 1,000 placed into sets than I'd read "there are 2,000 coins, 1k loose and 1k in sets."
    However mints often melt whatever NCLT they don't sell. So if they struck 25,000 but only sold 2,500 than the remaining 22,500 could've been melted and re-struck the following year.
    OK enough rambling some may disagree but those are my cents ~Nick
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    This may help you figured it out.
    It seems to me the singles and sets make the total together.

Britannia Mintage
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009