Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ever heard of WINGS sticker service?

So, my wife and I downgraded our cable TV package. I came home tonight and browsed our newly-limited selection of channels looking for some comedy. Something light and entertaining to unwind. Well, it was 11 PM … and we have the basic basic package ... "Rare Coins with Barry Chappell" image

Hey, I figured it'd be full of laughs!

Well … amongst all the hooey and horse excrement he did mention something worth posting about. Barry was hocking some NGC slabs with WINGS stickers. He said it was a Florida-based company called "World Identification and Numismatic Grading Service" and he claimed they were doing for World coins what CAC does for USA coins.

Thoughts? Anyone heard of WINGS before? image
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen it advertised in World Coin News recently.

Not seen it in person however.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    The acronym, WINGS, was created here by a forum member if memory serves correct. image

Go down to Hussulos post in this link. It is the World coin Version of CAC.

WINGS origin.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I commented before that given a choice of two otherwise equal coins, I'll take the one with the WINGS sticker. And if it helps me sell the coin that much faster when and if I go to sell, then yeah, that's a good thing, too.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of them- seen the stickers on slabs and I know nothing about them

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull up an older thread for more info.

Personally I stay away from those with a ten foot pole.

Biggest joke, and an insult to our intelligence!

JMHO
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    See I knew this would be worth posting image

Thanks for the linkage, Dan! image

I will say that IMO this is/was an inevitable product of necessity in regards to the market, CAC and a hole needing to be filled. The CAC market is so huge it was only a matter of time before someone tried to become "the CAC in world coins." Not sure how much value it adds to the coin, though. But I don't pay extra for CAC stickers either so … hmm to each his/her own!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pull up an older thread for more info.

Personally I stay away from those with a ten foot pole.

Biggest joke, and an insult to our intelligence!

JMHO >>

Do you have the same opinion of CAC?
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

pretty similar view to Lochness above - it might be justified somewhat in liteside arena but I'll be damned if I need some 3rd party to tell me if a Taler is PQ or correctly graded?? Hello, how low have we stooped? Are we that dumb and blind?

I mean when does it stop? Perhaps I need a service to confirm when I need to use the restroom? a service to confirm my tie is updated and matches current trends? That I'm paying 20 bucks is justified versus what Marshall's has it on sale for?

Whatever, I'm done with this rant .
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>pretty similar view to Lochness above - it might be justified somewhat in liteside arena but I'll be damned if I need some 3rd party to tell me if a Taler is PQ or correctly graded?? Hello, how low have we stooped? Are we that dumb and blind?

I mean when does it stop? Perhaps I need a service to confirm when I need to use the restroom? a service to confirm my tie is updated and matches current trends? That I'm paying 20 bucks is justified versus what Marshall's has it on sale for?

Whatever, I'm done with this rant . >>

Marcmoish, my question was because I agree with you. I don't think the little stickers are needed for US coins or World coins. Problem is people are lazy -- they can't grade, don't want to learn how, and want collecting coins to be like buying cleaning supplies with a Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

In my opinion, the fact that the market has responded to the CAC bean doesn't mean it's useful. It only means that the "market" is full of lazy collectors or speculators that pass coins with beans back and forth to one another like trading cards. I still won't and don't pay a premium because of the sticker. I will pay a premium for a premium coin (in a holder that may or may not have a CAC bean). I can determine "premium" for my self.

So to answer your rhetorical question, yes people are that dumb and blind...and they need the coddling of services like this. It's sad, but it's true.

On an aside, I do own one world coin with the "WINGS" sticker. At the time I bought it, I had never even heard of WINGS. I didn't buy it because of a sticker, I bought it because it is a strong example for the grade, and very attractive. The coin would be in my collection with or without that silly orange sticker. And, it will remain there for many years.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Problem is people are lazy -- they can't grade, don't want to learn how, and want collecting coins to be like buying cleaning supplies with a Good Housekeeping seal of approval. >>

I think it's more than that. Stickers and slabs reduce risk for investors, allowing them to purchase collectibles sight-unseen. The more levels of approval an item has, the easier it is to be assured of its current value in the marketplace.

Collectors may not need slabs and stickers. But those tools enable a much broader audience to participate in our hobby. On one hand this means it's getting tougher to find quality pieces due to competition in your area of collecting, but on the other hand it increases the value and liquidity of your collection.

Just my 2 kopecks.
    beautiful piece - and we don't need an oval gold thingy to tell us its a +, upper-end 64 or at worse a well graded 64 period!

Rip it off lol!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very familiar with WINGS and its founder, Lance Tchor. I can't honestly say that I've paid much attention to their grading standards, and can't say if they are as selective as CAC.

I do know that if WINGS is going to fly - I mean, er, people are going to flock to it - I mean, er, that it is proved to be something more than a bird-brained idea - it will have to create its own demand. I guess that's why Barry Chappell is planting the seeds on cable TV.

Anyway, anyone that stands behind his product deserves some respect for it, and I wish them luck.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure this isn't just a fly by night operation?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Don, I think Andy was not only very explanatory and chatty for his standards, but he also disapproved of your second guessing after all he wrote. image

My guess is that we'll eventually come across one of them, and we'll buy it or not. CAC is a serious operation and there was clearly a need for a service to separate the PQ coins from the dogs in the same grade, not to mention the doctored coins. The world coin market isn't like the US, but slowly slowly, we adopt all of their bad habits. The market has accepted it with open arms, and I don't think that CAC stickered coins are only in the posession of non educated collectors. If WINGS is trying to create something similar, good luck, although I have my reservations.

Boy, Preussen was touchy in that old thread whose link was posted by the boz. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Dumb question - what stops somebody from peeling off the sticker and putting it on another slab?
  • SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    Ethics....

imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimage

No seriously, I think that it's tougher than it looks. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure this isn't just a fly by night operation?

Dammit. I hate missing the low hanging fruit. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do know that if WINGS is going to fly - I mean, er, people are going to flock to it - I mean, er, that it is proved to be something more than a bird-brained idea >>

Laughed out loud with that one image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection