Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

84 Topps in an 82 Box?

A shop owner I know posted this photo of a box he has for sale. He's selling it as an 84 Topps box, which is correct but it's in an 82 Topps box. I asked him how that happened, basically questioning if this is reliable to sell. His response "That is how they did it back in the day". I was around collecting cards "back in the day" and have bought many boxes of 82 and 84 Topps, as well as countless other Topps boxes over the past 35 years. Never have I seen Topps do this. Am I wrong?

Appreciate today-

Bill

Comments

• If there are 1986 cards in the packs, that would be a problem.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭
    It was common. BBCE had 85 topps baseball in an 81 box and I've seen that packaging variation elsewhere.

I've never seen 84 in an 82 box though.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Topps used 1982 boxes in 1985 changing the 30c tab with a 35c tab but I've never seen 84 packs in an 82 box.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I had a case of 1985 in 1982 boxes.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It certainly wouldn't surprise me. Lord knows there are plenty of legit packs out there that have the cards wrapped in a previous year's wrapper. Topps didn't waste a thing.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I can really confuse you. Topps football, 1981 topps can be found in 1979 wrappers. Topps did
    all sorts of stuff like that back before card collecting became "mainstream". Remember, way back
    when, a big portion of kids that bought packs of cards were actually after the gum. The cards were
    an added bonus. Nobody cared about the package.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Collecting since 1978 and still learning new things.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I can really confuse you. Topps football, 1981 topps can be found in 1979 wrappers. Topps did
    all sorts of stuff like that back before card collecting became "mainstream". Remember, way back
    when, a big portion of kids that bought packs of cards were actually after the gum. The cards were
    an added bonus. Nobody cared about the package. >>

Yup, and the 1983 Topps Football boxes Steve had available yesterday were in 1981 boxes. Apparently they should have made more wrappers and less boxes in 1981.

But, like you said, back then most kids didn't care about the boxes/wrappers.... it was about the gum... oh, and cards!

I mean, sure there was at least one kid who only cared about the gum... he apparently grew up to bid big money on eBay for the gum from BBG's 1978/1979 box breaks.

Snorto~
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭
    I own three boxes of 1985 Topps in 1981 boxes so definitely seen that before.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com