Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you ship with? Tape and Label questions

I am going to be selling a good portion of my collection this summer and fall and I have run out of labels and tape. I bought a 100 labels from Label Universe about four years ago and they seem really expensive now. They worked great but at nearly 25 cents a label it is too costly. Where have you bought labels from to print from PayPal/Ebay USPS shipping?

I need tape too. For both boxes and recycled bubble mailers. I recently bought some crappy clear 1.6 mil rolls and the stuff just falls apart without a straight rip. Is 2.0 mil tape decent or should I go with something a bit higher. Lastly, does it matter clear or brown?
Or am I thinking too much into this and customers don't care about tape at all?

Troy

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    25 cents per label is way too high. You can buy 200 labels on ebay for a little over $9 w/free shipping.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to be selling a good portion of my collection this summer and fall and I have run out of labels and tape. I bought a 100 labels from Label Universe about four years ago and they seem really expensive now. They worked great but at nearly 25 cents a label it is too costly. Where have you bought labels from to print from PayPal/Ebay USPS shipping?

I need tape too. For both boxes and recycled bubble mailers. I recently bought some crappy clear 1.6 mil rolls and the stuff just falls apart without a straight rip. Is 2.0 mil tape decent or should I go with something a bit higher. Lastly, does it matter clear or brown?

Troy >>

well a couple of ways to do this. both are rather cheap. one would be to go to USPS and grab there priority labels. but that will only work if you ship priority mail. i would love to see someone attempt to recycle labels off of bubble mailers!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't sell much but i would never use that cheap clear tape. When i ship registered mail i am required to use brown tape. Using cheap clear tape may save a few dimes but it could cause problems in the long run.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Yes, 25 cents is way too high. I only bought a small amount. I am thinking it was 100 and with shipping it was crazy expensive.

Jay - when I print from USPS or Ebay/PayPal it sends to a full sheet. Will those labels work that you are talking about with a printer?
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't sell much but i would never use that cheap clear tape. When i ship registered mail i am required to use brown tape. Using cheap clear tape may save a few dimes but it could cause problems in the long run. >>

+1
    I cant help you out on where to get labels, but do yourself a favor and DO NOT CHEAPSKATE on shipping
    supplies!! Using cheap shipping tape will bite you on the bottom 9 times out of 10. Ive seen it happen
    over and over again!! What your selling is only as good as the shape it shows up to the customer in!
    You might get lucky every once in a while, but it will catch you.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I try to reuse as many boxes/envelopes/bubblewrap as possible. Just open things carefully and you can save a ton of money. Favre Fan, do you live in the Milwaukee area? I use clear packing tape, at American Science and Surplus you can find rolls for a buck each. It's pretty good quality and it goes a long way. I've shipped out plenty of items and haven't had any issues.

I don't make labels, I often write all the information on a piece of printing paper, and tape it on. (Is that too old school? I didn't have a printer forever and I've never encountered problems) I just make sure that the return address and shipping address are both covered so it can't rip off, get wet, etc.

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I use one of the thermal printers (think mine is a brother ql-570). I calculated per label cost at one point and it was favorable considering I don't need to buy ink as well.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently got a card shipped in a bubble mailer that was cut in half so that the seller was able to reuse it. Never and I mean never send a card that way.

The card was barely protected and the presentation was brutal.

We have discussed this before on this board but I use premium shipping products and if it costs me a $1 more then so be it. The card arrives safe and when the buyer receives the package they know it will be a quality transaction.

I don't sell a lot and if I did I would shop around to lower my costs a little but I would not skimp on shipping supplies.

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Troy,
    If your selling Packers cards and favre cards just do pwe in a penny sleeve,you will be fine!image
    On the other hand if doing cards of value,Im with dpeck and never cut corners,nothing worse than
    that clear tape that splits down the middle on ya,just stick with the stronger,better brown.My.02cents
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clear Tape

This clear tape works great.

I think it is closer to $7.50 at the store I buy it from.

• Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I use:

Labels

Two to a page and they go through my Canon printer with no problem. You will have to take the sheet and reinsert it to use the other end to be able to use both labels. They come out to about .05 each.

For tape, I use the heavy gauge Scotch Moving/Storage tape. I got a 4 pack from WalMart and used a $1.00 off coupon. Seems like it was still $8-10 dollars.

Tape

I use a 6"x9" self seal bubble mailer and I pack my graded cards between cardboard that is cut to size. I wrap my packing slip around the cardboard so it creates an additional small wrap/protection. Put the label on before inserting the wrapped cardboard/card into the envelope. It's easier while the bubble mailer is flat and not odd shaped with a card in it.

Good luck with your sales!
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>On the other hand if doing cards of value,Im with dpeck and never cut corners,nothing worse than
    that clear tape that splits down the middle on ya,just stick with the stronger,better brown.My.02cents >>

When it comes to shipping tape, I too am down with the brown... it has just the right amount of semi-transparency for eBay packages!

Snorto~
  • Options
    Agree with Dpeck. The heavy duty 3M Scotch clear tape is good stuff.

I wouldn't use cheap generic tape.

The brown water-activated paper tape is necessary for Registered Mail packages but other than that I don't use it.
  • Options

<< <i>Clear Tape

This clear tape works great.

I think it is closer to $7.50 at the store I buy it from. >>

At that price, it should probably tape the boxes shut by itself!

That's 54 yards for $7.50. I buy 6 rolls of tape (over 650 yards total) at Office Max for $9.99. Sure, I have to use two layers of tape sometimes, but it's no big deal. It works just fine.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>On the other hand if doing cards of value,Im with dpeck and never cut corners,nothing worse than
    that clear tape that splits down the middle on ya,just stick with the stronger,better brown.My.02cents >>

When it comes to shipping tape, I too am down with the brown... it has just the right amount of semi-transparency for eBay packages!

Snorto~ >>

Scott
    Dont even get me started on transparency and semi-transparency ,jeesh we could go on all night!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>I don't sell much but i would never use that cheap clear tape. When i ship registered mail i am required to use brown tape. Using cheap clear tape may save a few dimes but it could cause problems in the long run. >>

I agree. For my business I ship 2-3 times a week and Ive found 99% of clear tape SUCKS! Certain boxes it don't seem to stick to well so I end up using more and in the long run I went with a nice brown tape (3M) and a brown paper tape with thread if the package is about the size of a loaf of bread
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've been using the heavy duty Scotch shipping tape for years and never
    had a problem. Not sure of it's thickness, maybe 2.0 mil.

You can buy this at Sam's Clubs for $18-19 for six rolls. Each roll is 50 meters in length.

The thinner tape really blows. I've tried it to save a few bucks and it was always
    breaking apart and tearing on my tape gun.

Why not just print labels on paper and tape them to your mailers? The
    paper would cost you less than 3 cents per sheet. You might use a nickels
    worth of tape, plus the cost of the mailer. It would cost you roughly $0.22
    to print and tape on the label. Factoring in the ink jet cartridge cost, maybe a quarter
    per label.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Troy

I reuse all my bubble env and boxes. I use a razor blade knife to slit the end about 1" down from the end if I cannot open the glued flap.

Everything gets wrapped in heavy duty cardboard.

Print the ebay label and cut it from a piece of paper. Then use hd shipping tape. I tape both ends and completely cover the label.

That way its very hard to mess with the envelope. Have not had one messed with since.

You get free tracking when u use ebays checkout. Plus it gived ebay the info that item was shipped and delivered.

I have the tape gun and it maked shipping much easier.

The tape from staples or office depot is not as good as scotch...but it will work well in this scenerio.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been using the heavy duty Scotch shipping tape for years and never
    had a problem. Not sure of it's thickness, maybe 2.0 mil.

You can buy this at Sam's Clubs for $18-19 for six rolls. Each roll is 50 meters in length.

The thinner tape really blows. I've tried it to save a few bucks and it was always
    breaking apart and tearing on my tape gun.

Why not just print labels on paper and tape them to your mailers? The
    worth of tape, plus the cost of the mailer. It would cost you roughly $0.22
    to print and tape on the label. Factoring in the ink jet cartridge cost, maybe a quarter
    per label. >>

I agree on the Scotch tape. Regarding printing the labels on paper and taping them on, I do this most of the time; it is cost effective and works fine. A reason against it is if you have a high quantity of items end the same day and need to ship out a lot of packages all at once. In that case, it takes a lot longer to cut each label and tape it on than it does to peel one off a sticky backing. So if time is an issue for you, the benefit of label stickers may out-weigh the cost savings of printing on paper and taping the label.
  • Options

<< <i>Why not just print labels on paper and tape them to your mailers? The
    worth of tape, plus the cost of the mailer. >>

If that's what you're paying, then it would be cheaper to use a sticky label. You can buy 200 labels for $9.20 delivered (4.6 cents each), and no tape is required. Plus, it's easier.
  • Options
    WOW! I had no idea this would have garnered such a detailed conversation. Great information so far. Thanks.
  • Options
    Personally, I can't stand that cheap clear tape. I spent over 10 minutes picking that stuff off of a Winx Club DVD I bought recently
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I can't stand that cheap clear tape. I spent over 10 minutes picking that stuff off of a Winx Club DVD I bought recently >>

J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    i remember years ago when i first started selling on ebay i sent a package to an american customer (i live in canada) using clear tape. it never reached its destination. usa customs rejected the package at the border, and when i evntually got it back weeks and weeks later the customs note that was affixed to the package stated "inferior packing tape" as the reason for return. i have never since used clear tape--only the brown packing tape for me.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    If PSA is the best and they use the brown tape I guess brown tape wins out. That said I use the heavy duty clear tape, the really thick stuff, but I'm not a Power Seller or anything.
  • Options

<< <i>I am going to be selling a good portion of my collection this summer and fall and I have run out of labels and tape. I bought a 100 labels from Label Universe about four years ago and they seem really expensive now. They worked great but at nearly 25 cents a label it is too costly. Where have you bought labels from to print from PayPal/Ebay USPS shipping?

Troy >>

Troy
    Did you ever decide what BROWN could do for you? After a lil thought I think you should start
    a poll and see what the %'s are..image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I am going with Brown. So I can vote now.
  • Options

Using tape to stick labels on your shipment can be a lot of hassle. Instead you can use a thermal label printer which is capable of printing custom shipping labels and stickers. You can print the labels in different sizes as per your needs and there is no need to cut these labels manually as they are perfectly sized.

@Favrefan1971, $0.25 per shipping label is too costly and is a huge burden that increases your operating cost when you have to ship hundreds of products on daily basis and need shipping label for each. MUNBYN offers thermal sticker labels for $12.99 per roll which contains 750 labels ( costing just $0.017 per label ). You can get these labels from their official store.