Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

PCGS certifies unique Chinese coin

"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• A real Chinese coin in a real PCGS holder.
  • Damn, those Chinese are getting good. First the coins, then the slabs and now the websites as well.image
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Bahahaha! image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Don and the rest of the PCGS board. Definitely a cause for celebration image

Interesting distinctions between this unique example and its cousins:

<< <i>those [1911] coins have a raised "Ki" … and the dragon's tail … points toward the left. The 1910 coin was struck at the Hsusen Tung branch mint with an incuse "Ki" and the tail pointing to the right. >>

It seems to me, that "unique" coins (or patterns, trials, etc) are often distinguished by much smaller degree. Such as an extra tail feather or an extra die mark, or more/less relief, or even the easiest variation - the metal type itself!

But this is a completely different die!?

The mirror-image aspect reminds me of a recent post by Brg5658 here in this thread (scroll until you see his third post, with African pairs from Togo; you'll know it when you see it).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine there are a lot of unique Chinese coins out there.

Edit to add: I use the phrase "a lot of" in a relative way, of course.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, indeed! I find Qing coins, especially from this period, to be completely fascinating.

[pedantry] The "ki" (Ji) 吉 here is the mintmark, an abbreviation of Jilin (Kirin) 吉林, which itself is a Chinese phonetic rendering of the Manchu "girin." The Chinese characters here are used only for their phonetic, not semantic value. Thus, "ki" doesn't mean "lucky" in this context. It's like a "D" for Denver on US coins. [/pedantry]