Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Medal identification assistance - H-30-280 variant - LARGE IMAGES

I'm looking for any information related to this medal which I recently acquired.

At first glance, I thought it was a variant of the 1904 "America Welcomes The World" medal from the St. Louis World's Fair, listed as H-30-280 in the Hendershott reference. It has the same obverse (but in very sharp relief), however, the reverse is completely different. There is no text, and it only shows a wreath design. Overall, the strike is very sharp, with a mirror-like surface to the fields. The images, captured with my iPhone don't do it justice. I'd be tempted to refer to it as a proof-type strike with almost a cameo appearance.

With the medal in hand, I noticed that it has a Paris mint edge marking of a bee, and the word Cuivre (copper) stamped into the edge. What's confusing me is that the bee edge marking was used between ~1860 - 1880. In other words, well before the 1904 World's Fair.

Could this have been some type of early strike of this medal by the designer (DePaulis)? Does anyone know of a reference to his works which might shed some light on when this design was originally created, and what it was intended for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Mark

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depaulis died in 1867. Maybe you can identify the work from this:

Depaulis
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    its an unissued prize medal for a participant at the StLouis world fair or perhaps another fair , the engraving at the back would be something like this: third prize (copper) - company name - date - name of the fair.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I note from the list of works that there is one entitled, "Land and Sea Commerce." This may be what we are looking at. On the medal, you can see a portion of a wagon at the left and a ship on the right.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD