Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Poll: Tale of Two Coins

It was a rare date in MS62, it was a rarer date in AU. NGC, it was a raw. It was eBay, it was a highly regarded auction firm image ... ...

OK here's the deal:
There was a very tough coin on eBay, in NGC MS62. It was pretty, but the price had already been bid-up past my comfort zone. Something in my gut told me to search the auction houses. Guess what? I found the rarer date for auction the same weekend! Unfortunately the rarer date was raw and only AU. The auction house is very well-known and trustworthy, so I had the utmost confidence that this was not counterfeit. Only problem, I wasn't crazy about the appearance of the AU. Even though it was the rarer date, and impossible in MS or proof, I just didn't love it. The MS62 coin was something I could definitely stare at for many years to come, but it was the more common date. Still a very tough coin, but not the piece de resistance!

Which would you choose? image
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    I would wait and see what pops up in the next 6 months. If you found 2 "close but no cigar" coins in a few days, then a few months/years should turn up many more.
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    If you do not like the appearance of the coin, its best to step away. Really! You will regret it if you buy it, especially if its a very expensive coin.

MS62 sounds to be a very high grade for the coin. Try and bid on that. Know your limits and proceed. If you do not win, another will show up in 6 months. They always do. For me, I would first want to get a beat up version of the coin to start out with, at melt value, of course. They are fun to have. Once the coin is for sale in the condition that you want, happy bidding.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    If you don't like the look of the AU you probably never will ... my advice is to wait for one you like better and can afford, unless the series/type is truly so scarce/rare that you won't see another one for years. In which case, go for the MS-62 example image

-Bjorn
  • YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the best you can afford.
    Personally, IF the coin is rare as a coin, I would buy the AU50 first and then hunt for a better. Chance is that NGC is slightly over graded?
    And who knows, they might grade your AU 50 as AU 58 or even better.
    sometimes miracle-like grades do happen to show up.
    I sometimes seriously question if "that slabbed 64" is really a 64?
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    All great posts! The last appearance of the rarer date was 2005, but I just couldn't get over the look. AU is typically the grade they are found in so I'll probably end up with an AU someday. I bid on the MS example and lost, but I didn't loose any sleep over it image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE