Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin Capsules: Sizes, fitting and when is it too tight or too loose?

I am in the process of organizing my coins better than they are now.

I like the concept of coin capsules because they allow enjoying the coin up close at all angles without fingerprinting or damaging it in anyway. They store well in coin cases with tray compartments. Nice organization, display and storage at the same time with efficient use of space.

After giving my silver coins the acetone bath and wearing cotton gloves while handling them further, I placed them in coin capsules I had previously ordered.

1. The Air Tites for the silver eagles were really nice. The fitting was exact. Absolutely no wiggle room. The capsules are solid and smooth without obvious places where one would open it, super clear and does not detract from the beauty of a raw coin. However, while getting the silver eagles in the capsule, I noticed that it would be very hard to get back out because its such a tight fit. Anything to worry about? Also, I noticed very few cotton fibers get trapped while encapsulating the coin. Short of working in a clean room, this is hard to avoid.

2. I have silver 2 mark coins from Germany (1935-1939) for which I had Lindner sent me 27mm capsules saying they would work. They were too large. The coins are actually 25mm. Too much play room. Should I go for a tight fit next time (25mm) or simply use the 26mm?

3. I also have silver 5 mark coins from Germany (1935-1939) for which I had 29mm capsules. The fitting is exact and very tight. It would be hard to get them out in the future if ever needed. I am wondering if perhaps the 29.5mm capsules would not be better. Just a tiny bit of play should be good.

4. I had a 38mm capsules for the silver Philharmonic coin (diameter= 38mm). It was a good fit, with a very tiny bit of play. It would come out easy when the caps are opened, but inside, there is just some slight wiggle room. It may not even fit in a 37mm capsule, perhaps.

5. I have some silver Brittanias that are 38.6mm, so 39mm capsules would be my only choice and should be sufficient.

6. I have that 5 Mark silver coin from the time of the Kaiser. That has a tiny bit of play room in the 39mm. It does not rattle around, one can just feel there slight movement in there. Maybe that is the ideal fitting???

If you guys have anything to add for my learning, please do so.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check with a German supplier. they have plastic inserts which allows you to use uniform capsule sizes by using inserts that fill the extra space.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Re-organizing can be a lot of fun, especially going through those seldom-opened boxes and rediscovering your gems. Have fun and don't forget to post some pics! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE