Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Attn: Dpeck....1986 Monte Wrestling cards..worth picking up?

Just wondering if this set is a good investment. I notice the PSa cards are listed as hand cut...they come in packs so why hand cut?

-Claude

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a huge fan of this set.

A few years ago I bought a couple of boxes and the coalition was horrible. Fortunately on one of the boxes almost every pack had a few of the good Hogan cards.

PSA made a mistake years ago and graded a lot of hand cut cards from this set.

This set of cards came from Holland and each pack has cards that are stuck together like a photo strip with chads in between. I believe it is 8 cards to a pack.

I could not figure out how the first cards graded by PSA looked the way they did and then I realized someone trimmed them and PSA did not know better.

This is one of the best visual sets of wrestling cards but I just don't see it being a big winner.

If you are buying them really cheap then it is worth picking them up but I would not pay too much for a raw set or a box.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    A box generally runs about $50, not sure what price range you are looking at for one......

These seem rather plentiful now days...........

DPeck has an accurate assessment here.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info guys. I just picked up a box for $55...box has 50 packs.
  • Options
    I am not sure what your plan is for the box but you won't lose money at that price.

Many of the singles sell for $1 to $2.50 and if someone had the patience they could do really well selling them on EBAY.

The problem I had with one of the boxes is I literally only got three packs. It was something like 25, 21, and 4. As I said the packs were loaded with Hogan's so if it had to go that way it was better to get those cards. I was disappointed though as I thought I could put a set together and couldn't from 2 boxes.

There is a great selection of wrestlers in the set and it is the only set I am aware of with blood which is cool.

Good luck if you decide to open them.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA made a mistake years ago and graded a lot of hand cut cards from this set. >>

Since it could be proved that out of the pack they are NOT hand cut would it be worth trying to get PSA to change their labels on future cards? I would think the ones out of the pack and NOT hand cut would carry a premium.
  • Options
    I honestly don't know if PSA would change the label at this point.

The one's that have been cut have very clean edges and do not have the hanging chads or whatever you want to call it on the sides.

You have to break them apart from each other.

I know there were about 120 cards graded when I first purchased one of the hand cut PSA 10's and I see that number has increased to 267.

There are a few cards from this set that sell well graded so if you get some nicely centered one's they could be worth sending in.

The Hogan/Ali card so far has sold for the most in a PSA 10.
  • Options

Famed Wrestling photographer George Napolitano asked me on Twitter if I knew who made the cards because they used his photos from the Wrestling All Stars magazine he made in the mid 80's without his knowledge. After some extensive Google searching I have uncovered some very interesting information on the manufacture Monty Gum. They were manufactured in the Netherlands for distribution in Europe and mostly for the Middle East and that explains the Arabic writing on the packages. Here is the link to a site dedicated to Monty. You might have to right click on your browser and update it to English. Mystery solved!

http://www.montyplaatjes.nl/

• Options

@han_soto said:

@1966CUDA said:
    Thanks for the info guys. I just picked up a box for $55...box has 50 packs.

if opening, be prepared for the worst coalitioned box ever.

I got 25 of the same pack, 23 of the same pack and then 2 of one. I was so mad.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    sounds like a hot box for this product!

It was one of the strangest hobby moments I have ever had. Most were Hogan’s so that part was cool but I wanted to put together some sets and that wasn’t in the cards.

• Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

I opened a box of these several years ago. I ended up making two sets from my box with several doubles left over. Collation must have much better on the box I opened. I always was curious about PSA putting hand cut on these. In my opinion those should really be recalled since they where probably altered if they have smooth edges. I wouldn't buy any of the graded ones marked that myself as it is incorrect.