Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would you rather have, doily or regency holder?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
With all the talk lately regarding doilies I wonder which is rarer and which is more desireable image

Or would it be the black NGC slab?

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the original NGC black slabs are the rarest in regards to pop#'s... Thats a guess though.

Erik
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on the coin inside as the holder frenzy apocalypse could happen at any moment image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll just have a coin that's accurately graded by our hosts. Given a preference, I'd like one without scratches so I can see the little trinket inside and I prefer the holders that fit in the blue boxes.

...... but I 'spect that's not what you're looking for. image
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Black NGC
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭
    Regency
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

regency, by a lot shot, for just a standard common coin inside.

specific coins in specific grades, varieties etc could change my preference.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    In order:

Black NGC
    Regency
    Doily
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you left unsaid "..given the same coin" Stef so going with that notion I will say Doily.
    The Regency kinda says
    image..to me
    and black is not my favorite look.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a image one!!!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder what would happen if Drummer made up his mind to get out of the race?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order:

Black NGC
    Regency
    Doily >>

there are others i contend would go before doily.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order:

Black NGC
    Regency
    Doily >>

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regency.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Regency
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    The regular doily market is reaching saturation. Do a search on eBay, there are at least 16 doilies currently for sale. A year ago you'd be lucky to find 2 or 3 at any given time. And the greater fool theory has worked itself out on common doilies like Morgans. At the prices they're asking now, the current doily owners will get to enjoy their treasures for a while longer. The rare ones will still sell, unless the asking price is outrageous.

I've already got a few NGC blacks, and a PCGS Regency. Given the choice for another one, I'd take another NGC black.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have cracked out 2 of the 3 for dimes I need. Haven't found a dime I need in a Regency yet, but if I do.......crack crack crack! image

I collect coins....not holders.image
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll just have a coin that's accurately graded by our hosts. Given a preference, I'd like one without scratches so I can see the little trinket inside and I prefer the holders that fit in the blue boxes.

...... but I 'spect that's not what you're looking for. image >>

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whichever is easiest to crack. I find both unattractive and feel they detract from the coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In order:

Black NGC
    Regency
    Doily >>

Ditto.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    I would say the regency holder is more rare, but the doiley is more collectible/expensive.
    Taylor
    Just do it.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a nice coin.

jom
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fun to own a regency or 2 but storage is a real issue.

There are some really tough holders out there and the NGC black ranks highest on the list followed by the tougher type coins in Doily holders.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Which would you rather have, doily or regency holder?

Whichever is easiest to crack. I find both unattractive and feel they detract from the coin. >>

This.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say the regency holder is more rare, but the doiley is more collectible/expensive.
    Taylor >>

WRONG!! A Regency holder will set you back 4-6x a Doily premium if not more. I know a dealer asking $1000 for a 61 Lincoln Proof in a Regency holder.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The regular doily market is reaching saturation. Do a search on eBay, there are at least 16 doilies currently for sale. A year ago you'd be lucky to find 2 or 3 at any given time. And the greater fool theory has worked itself out on common doilies like Morgans. At the prices they're asking now, the current doily owners will get to enjoy their treasures for a while longer. The rare ones will still sell, unless the asking price is outrageous.

I've already got a few NGC blacks, and a PCGS Regency. Given the choice for another one, I'd take another NGC black. >>

Of course, a lot of those up now are looking for crazy money for them and some have been relisted multiple times. Not to say that I never paid crazy for one or two, but I don't have unlimited funds.
  • Options
    DAVEatHLRCDAVEatHLRC Posts: 177 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In order:

Black NGC
    Regency
    Doily >>

image >>

dITTO.
    Please visit Dave Wnuck Numismatics LLC at DaveWcoins.com
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd rather have a nice coin.

jom >>

95% of the coins in doilies are of the nothing special widget variety. Hard to believe that as young as the TPGs were, that people were submitting such common stuff. Then again the coin boom had just tapered off and these were submissions that were part of a backlog. It certainly is a plus to have a nice coin in one, but the allure is mostly holder.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all the talk lately regarding doilies I wonder which is rarer and which is more desireable image

Or would it be the black NGC slab? >>

The first generation black NGC slab is by far the rarest and most valuable. The slab typically adds $2000 or more to the value of the coin inside when sold at auction. The PCGS regency is a distant second and the doily is a distant third.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Regency
    Black Slab

There was a regency on eBay with a Tailbar Morgan. I really wanted it but didn't pull the trigger... image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as crooner ? Regency
    as cronies ? NGC black
    as corniest ? Doily

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the above. I LIKE my coins in Capital Plastic Holders - they are OLDER than the above mentioned plastic, they display coins better in a variety of colors and you do not have to have so many "Boxes" to store the collection in.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>None of the above. I LIKE my coins in Capital Plastic Holders - they are OLDER than the above mentioned plastic, they display coins better in a variety of colors and you do not have to have so many "Boxes" to store the collection in.

WS >>

How well does Capital Plastics grade and authenticate your coins? What kind of guarantee do they offer concerning the coins they hold?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade my coins just fine thank you and after 45 years in plastic they look just fine to me...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok . . . Lindedad threw out the gauntlet.

This is buried deeply enough it won't ever get seen by anyone. State Track the last two days, so this response took a back seat.

First . . . it's "Drunner" -- as in "Distance Runner" -- as in SLOW GUY (but I have cranked out 22 marathons and two ultras, so take THAT!). Coach of the nation's premier distance athletes. Well, maybe.

Second . . . at altitude, had kids do 1:54, 4:13, and 9:22, and girls at 2:18, 4:56, and 10:52 today. So . . it is DRUNNER . . not Drummer . .

OK . . . subtle dig at the state of collecting Doilies if I were to "go". Hmmm . . . . well, all I can say is the reason you have not seen me quite so vociferous on the Boards is twofold. First, two of my main competitors here advised me (wisely) to back off on the hype -- too many were joining the fray and the Doilies were getting a bit "pricey". Secondly, I have found the best way to get the "good ones" is not to buy duplicate #6 of an 1884-O on eBay, but instead, to cultivate the right sources. So . . . it took me a while, but I did. The last year of Doily sales "in the public" have gone on -- surprisingly -- without me! Wow . . . . the world did not end, and the Doily market exists! I have added proof Type, unique Doily pieces, and some fun stuff, without fanfare. Oh . . . still at it. Just got a 1933-D Lincoln in MS65RD (look that one up in your Census !!!!)

The state of the market is just superb. Funny how there is so much antagonism here, but in the local yokel show, or mid range Vegas show, a simple Doily Frankie in MS64 is $150. Huh? Why is that? Obviously the crashing Doily market!

Supply and demand . . . buckos !! Not all of us are going to collect esoterical die varieties visible only on EM microscopes, moderns that are indistinguishable in MS68, 69, 70, or even . . 71, or crusty, skinned, dirty, coins of whatever metal is the flavor of the day. Some of us like history. It just happens to be a different type of history. I like plastic history! image

Oh well . . whatever. Fun stuff. Up to the ranch to work on some roads tomorrow. Hey . .maybe one of my sources will call with that elusive 20c. piece I still need for the Doily Type Set!

Yeeehaaaawwwww . . . enjoy your coins (with apologies to HRH)

Drunner
    Unapologetic Doily Collector (Still - yeah, can you believe it???)
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot .

The 1933-D Lincoln was CAC'd, for those who only look at the hoi polloi . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drunner is a good student indeed!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Update answer: Regency with an Octagonal Pan Pac inside.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    regency
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It all depends on the coin inside as the holder frenzy apocalypse could happen at any moment image >>

This. image

But OK, I'll play. All coins being equal, I'd rather have the doily.

The Regencies are interesting but ugly. Cool-ugly. Very strange.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It all depends on the coin inside as the holder frenzy apocalypse could happen at any moment image >>

This. image

But OK, I'll play. All coins being equal, I'd rather have the doily.

The Regencies are interesting but ugly. Cool-ugly. Very strange. >>

That's why Regency slabs are so popular with collectors---they're radically different compared to the other PCGS slab styles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file