Home Sports Talk
Options

Sacramento Kings sold, should now change name

Sacramento is the capital of California, but still, the place is boring and bland. California Kings sounds much better and could attract the cool crowd.

California Kings ! image

Comments

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    These home locations are getting broader and broader every time. It used to be one city then one region then one state now it's multiple states bundled together (Carolina Panthers). California Kings? Too broad. I prefer "West Coast Kings" or "Aeea West of the Mississippi Kings".

As for Seattle's chances for landing another NBA team, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. Wasn't the league talking about contraction just last year?
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The Kings haven't been fun to watch since Jason Williams was their point guard.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason Williams.

Good ole southern white boy, tatted up and ballin with the brothers.

AKA "White Chocolate". Almost as cool and hip in his day as "Vanilla Ice" was in hisimage
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason Williams.

Good ole southern white boy, tatted up and ballin with the brothers.

AKA "White Chocolate". Almost as cool and hip in his day as "Vanilla Ice" was in hisimage >>

Uh...OK....

My comment was a serious one. Jason Williams was a very good point guard in his first few years in Sacramento. He consistently made no-look passes that most point guards would never attempt and was often referred to as a young version of Pistol Pete Maravich....He was a very exciting, energetic player to watch and people came to see HIM play and he helped fill the arena.

The fact that he was white and/or southern should be irrelevant to you too, but you just HAD to comment on it. If you're still surprised to see white basketball players, I guess you haven't watched the NBA since the mid 70's.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>These home locations are getting broader and broader every time. It used to be one city then one region then one state now it's multiple states bundled together (Carolina Panthers). California Kings? Too broad. I prefer "West Coast Kings" or "Aeea West of the Mississippi Kings".

As for Seattle's chances for landing another NBA team, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. Wasn't the league talking about contraction just last year? >>

I kinda like that 'West Coast Kings' name.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Bring 'em back to KC..........Cali sux image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Sacramento is the capital of California, but still, the place is boring and bland. >>

Sacramento's fine. I grew up there, lived there for most of my life, and still work there. It's as large of a city as I can stomach.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

David Stern is evil. Please somebody make him go away.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason Williams was a very exciting player to watch.

He could be amazing and frustrating at the same time. His ability to handle the ball on the dribble, penetrate, pass, and shoot made him a dangerous player on the floor. He could make the opposing defenders look like fools. Very much like Pistol Pete Maravich. When he was playing well he could make his teammates better and could get the crowd out of their chairs and onto their feet screaming.

He could also be horrible, with bad passing, bad shooting and turnovers. Good or bad, he definitely had the attention of the crowd whenever he was on the floor.

The fact that he hailed from the south, that he had tattoos and that he is white has nothing to do with his ability to play hoops. He definitely was an exciting NBA player. I really liked his nickname of White Chocolate and I really liked watching him play. My prior post in this thread stems from my own experience playing hoops in high school and college. Can't get the on the court ribbing, teasing, talking smack out of my system. Does not matter who you are, where you come from or what the color of your skin is, if you can play, you can play.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    California is good- get rid of Kings and come up with something associated with the state

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Wasn't the league talking about contraction just last year?>>>

Although they probably should, the NBA never talks contraction...in fact, if Stern had his way, the NBA would have teams all over the globe right now.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sacramento is the capital of California, but still, the place is boring and bland. California Kings sounds much better and could attract the cool crowd.

California Kings ! image >>

We already have the Golden State Warriors so not sure the Cali Kings would work. Seems repetitive.

As for bland and boring... possibly but I can afford a MUCH nicer house here than most any other area in California. 90 minutes to the coast or the slopes. It's a pretty darn good place to live actually... at least the burbs are anyway. image

As for White Chocolate he brought excitement but trading him for Mike Bibby was a very good deal for the Kings.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sacramento is the capital of California, but still, the place is boring and bland. >>

Sacramento's fine. I grew up there, lived there for most of my life, and still work there. It's as large of a city as I can stomach. >>

Sure Sacramento is a cowtown compared to the Bay Area and Bay Area people think of Sacto as the sticks but compared to its competition of other cities in the Central Valley, Sacramento is the best city in its category. It's not a particularly exciting place but it is much better than most cities in other parts of the country, particularly those in the middle of the country. I've been to Oklahoma City several times and it is better than Oklahoma City.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    So you wanna go to Sleep Train Arena to watch the California Kings?

Geeze, talk about a snooze fest. image

• Options
    3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    ROFL, free clappers for the first 1000 fans!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    If they're renamed the California Kings, what's their mascot going to be? A mattress? image
  • Options
    holy carp, you're right. that would be an ongoing joke. (sleepers etc) I sleep on a california king, must have been on the brain. Well, that blows that idea
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The "Bobcats" name will soon be available.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>The "Bobcats" name will soon be available. >>

Sacramento is already home of the "Rivercats," Oakland's AAA team.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    In honor of their history during the Gold Rush, how about the Sacramento Panhandlers? :-)
  • Options

<< <i>In honor of their history during the Gold Rush, how about the Sacramento Panhandlers? :-) >>

A little too close to the truth there. image

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if the Sac Kings don't move to Seattle...
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>I'd be surprised if the Sac Kings don't move to Seattle... >>

You think the deal is falling apart in Sac? It seems pretty solid right now.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd be surprised if the Sac Kings don't move to Seattle... >>

You think the deal is falling apart in Sac? It seems pretty solid right now. >>

And that was after the NBA Owners agreed to a haircut going in, assuming it will pay off in the long run.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    It is overdue. This franchise moves every 10-15 years. They have been in Sacramento since the 80's. Maybe they should move back to KC or Cincinnati. Or maybe become the Sacramento-Omaha Kings.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>It is overdue. This franchise moves every 10-15 years. They have been in Sacramento since the 80's. Maybe they should move back to KC or Cincinnati. Or maybe become the Sacramento-Omaha Kings. >>

They have been in Sac since about 1985 so closing in on 30 years not 10-15. You are talking ancient history with the frequent move thing.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    They have been in Sac since about 1985 so closing in on 30 years not 10-15. You are talking ancient history with the frequent move thing.

Right. So, they missed a move. They need to move twice now to catch up. Also, four locations (five if you count Omaha) in the last 56 years is not ancient history. It is a trend. Find another franchise in the NBA, MLB, NFL, or NHL that has that kind of movement. And now it has new ownership (that has discussed moving the team). Should we be surprised if it happens?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>They have been in Sac since about 1985 so closing in on 30 years not 10-15. You are talking ancient history with the frequent move thing.

Right. So, they missed a move. They need to move twice now to catch up. Also, four locations (five if you count Omaha) in the last 56 years is not ancient history. It is a trend. Find another franchise in the NBA, MLB, NFL, or NHL that has that kind of movement. And now it has new ownership (that has discussed moving the team). Should we be surprised if it happens? >>

It seems it's ancient history when I want to use UCLA winning 10 championships in 12 years in other sports discussions but it's not ancient history that the Kings made some moves at the same time in HISTORY. Oh well... WHATEVER. The kings appear to staying in Sac this week so I'll be happy.
  • Options
    Is there even a single person still involved with the Kings front office that was around when the Kings moved to Sac?