Home Sports Talk

Bay Area Pro Sports...Back to Square One...49ers, Raiders, Giants, A's, Warriors and Sharks all Cove

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
Yeah, yeah, I know, the Giants are the defending World Series champions but this year so far just feels like one big letdown for all six of the Bay Area pro teams. The baseball season is long from over but both teams have serious issues before even thinking about the postseason. In NFL football, after one gigantic letdown what happens this season will remain to be seen. As for basketball and hockey, I don't keep my hopes up. So let's keep track of all six Bay Area pro teams because my instinct is this is going to be one big, fat disappointing year for all our teams.

SF Giants: The starting pitching largely sucks as does the offense most of the time. Somehow, some way this team is in first place in the division, largely due to corresponding sucking by the rest of the division. After getting destroyed by the last place AL East team, they're lucky they have the rest of the division to par with.

Oakland A's: After so much hype in the winter, they're below .500 with an inconsistent offense and starting pitchers in their sophomore slumps. The Rangers are strong and the Angels will pick it up. The question is, will the A's?

GS Warriors: Seriously I had no idea so many people in the Bay Area cared about NBA basketball up until an hour ago. Starting this hour? Not any more.

SJ Sharks: Like filing taxes and the blooming foliage outside, spring just wouldn't be spring without the Sharks sucking in the playoffs. The team could go undefeated in the regular season and yes, they would still get bounced in the playoffs. When the team gives up the tying goal then the go-ahead gold in a span of about 45 seconds, you deserve go home. My best friend is a Sharks season ticket holder but it's all the same for those folks: year after year they have the illusion that "this is going to be the year!" No it won't be because it never is. I don't doubt the Sharks will make the playoffs year after year but I'll probably kick the bucket of old age before I see the Stanley Cup paraded through Caesar Chavez Plaza. How about blowing up the team and rebuilding? Can't do that because San Jose isn't Toronto. That one time in the last decade that the Sharks missed the playoffs, season ticket sales dropped 47%. It's in the ownership's best interest to field a weak playoff team rather than a team that could go the distance. The season ticket holders call it faint hope. I call it a con game.

Raiders: Matt Flynn or not the Raiders will likely be the worst team in the NFL next season, which will earn them the first pick in the 2014 draft. That is if they haven't traded away that pick already. If not they'll do what they normally do...draft another first round bust like they always do. Never mind JaWalrus Russell, how about the other underachieving first round picks like Huff, Heyward-Bey, McClain, Gallery and others? If history can predict the future it's not a good sign.

49ers: After getting humiliated in front of the world and exposed as a team with no secondary and an overall overrated defense, it's back to square one for this team. The media can sugar coat it all they want but the truth is the Super Bowl loser is no different than the 30 other teams that didn't take home a Lombardi. Overall I like the picks from the 2013 draft, but the issues with the secondary weren't addressed as comprehensively as many of us wanted. This team better improve drastically from last year because just about every other team in the league has improved leaps and bounds. They have a tough schedule in 2013 so not much will separate a division champion from the division cellar dweller. It's take home a Lombardi next season or else. There is no middle ground.

This week it sure has felt like 1994 - November 2010 all over again. Futility is rearing its presence in the Bay Area. Let's discuss.
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>This week it sure has felt like 1994 - November 2010 all over again. Futility is rearing its presence in the Bay Area. Let's discuss. >>

November 1, 2010 was pretty awesome though.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mindset of "if your team does not win the title the whole season is a failure" is one which can deprive a fan of the joy and pleasure of watching your team play well and be successful. For Bay Area teams the 49rs had a great run in the 1980's and 1990's. Then they were average to lousy for many years. The past two years with Jim Harbaugh at the helm the team has been very, very good. The Giants went decades without winning a World Series title, sometimes being lousy. Now the Giants have won 2 of the last three titles. The A's were very good last year after being lousy. The Warriors changed ownership and the team seems to be headed up after years of futility. They were very enjoyable to watch this year. The Sharks have been in the playoffs year after year but just can not get to the Stanley Cup finals.

None of these teams will win a title "Today". So what, enjoy the ride and remember how bad things have been for the pro sports franchises in the SF Bay Area over the past 10-15 years.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense to the OP, but his constant pessimism over the week to week or even day to day ups and downs of the hometown teams he supposedly roots for has become rather predictable to the point of satire at this point.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense to the OP, but his constant pessimism over the week to week or even day to day ups and downs of the hometown teams he supposedly roots for has become rather predictable to the point of satire at this point. >>

Since Monday 5/13/2013...

Team #1 has gone 1-3, which includes two games where they were collectively destroyed by a last place sub .500 team. In tonight's game they committed 4 errors over a span of 3 innings.

Team #2 has gone 2-2. For the season they're below .500.

Team #3 went 0-2. Their season ended last night. They improved over last year, which isn't saying much.

Team #4 has gone 0-2. In last night's contest they gave up not only a tying goal but also the winning goal in a span of about 35 seconds.

Collectively since Monday the four active teams have a combined record if 3-9, including 0-4 in playoff contests. If you want to paint a rosy picture using that information please be my guest.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    WTCG is a troll, plain and simple.

The Golden State Warriors run was one of the most enjoyable sports stories of the year. The team was picked by every 'expert' to finish 13th or lower, and was two games away from the western conference finals. Everyone from the local to the national level loved the Warriors and their unique style of play.

The Giants' offense sucks? Hmm 8th in Runs Scored, and 11th in OBP and 14th in SLG hardly 'sucks'. BAA and ERA they are both 16th, again far from 'sucking'.

Going to the super bowl wasn't enough for this dope...nope he feels that if you don't win it all you've had the same season as the team who was the worst.

I, for one, am thankful that I'm no so ******* bitter to have this mindset. I wish it was possible to ignore posters, because if I never saw another post from this clown this board would be a much better place.

<< <i>WTCG is a troll, plain and simple.

The Golden State Warriors run was one of the most enjoyable sports stories of the year. The team was picked by every 'expert' to finish 13th or lower, and was two games away from the western conference finals. Everyone from the local to the national level loved the Warriors and their unique style of play.

The Giants' offense sucks? Hmm 8th in Runs Scored, and 11th in OBP and 14th in SLG hardly 'sucks'. BAA and ERA they are both 16th, again far from 'sucking'.

Going to the super bowl wasn't enough for this dope...nope he feels that if you don't win it all you've had the same season as the team who was the worst.

I, for one, am thankful that I'm no so ******* bitter to have this mindset. I wish it was possible to ignore posters, because if I never saw another post from this clown this board would be a much better place. >>

Fine, I'll give you that the Warriors were a feel good story, the same way their 2007 season was. After 2007 weren't they supposed to build on that success and become a contender in 2008 and beyond? What makes this season any different from 2007? They have some young, viable talent but what becomes of it remains to be seen. Considering this team's history I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

How do you explain the Giants getting swept by last place Toronto then giving up 10 runs while committing 4 errors in one game? Thank God for the other equally bad teams in the NL West. If you think this team is playing well you're out of your mind.

Call me what you want but I call it like I see it.

<< <i>
    Fine, I'll give you that the Warriors were a feel good story, the same way their 2007 season was. After 2007 weren't they supposed to build on that success and become a contender in 2008 and beyond? What makes this season any different from 2007? They have some young, viable talent but what becomes of it remains to be seen. Considering this team's history I wouldn't get too excited just yet.
    >>

No, this team is *completely* different than 2007. Since you're asking how they're different, you obviously weren't around then or you would know.

They have one of the youngest teams in the league, averaging just over 25 years of age. They just had a deep playoff run without one the best 3-point shooters in the game (Brandon Rush) injured since day one. They play a style of ball completely unique and, if they play Bogut/Lee with 4 3-point shooters, will be impossible to defend. They play surprisingly good defense (excluding Lee, of course) and rebound with the best of the league. Throw in the soon-to-be expiring contracts of Biedrins and Jefferson and you have a team that will have no ceiling.

<< <i>How do you explain the Giants getting swept by last place Toronto then giving up 10 runs while committing 4 errors in one game? Thank God for the other equally bad teams in the NL West. If you think this team is playing well you're out of your mind. >>

How? Because real sports fans know that a handful of games out of 162 are essentially meaningless. Where was this negativity when they were outscoring the Braves, you know, the NL East LEADING Braves 23-4 over three games and winning all three? I mean those three games are obviously less important than a series against Toronto.

Hmm and the team isn't playing well? First place in the NL West and Fourth in the NL overall is pretty damn good. I'm sorry you're such a bitter fool that you can't take *any* pleasure out of sports. Good lord man if you're this bitter and hateful and negative then why in god's name do you even follow sports? If, to you, the only measure of a good season is a championship, then sports must be MISERY to you. If a handful of games in May are enough to make you think the team is heading for the cellar? My god man you must be a *treat* to be around.

Call me what you want but I call it like I see it. >>

Just read your twitter feed. NOTHING but negativity about your sports teams. NOTHING. Nothing but hate. Nothing but bile. Nothing but negativity.

You, sir, aren't a fan of sports. You live for misery. Good lord you are a miserable, hateful person.

edit: Actually it's not just sports you're negative about...you hate *everything*. Complaining about service. Complaining about wait times. Complain, complain, complain. Jesus tap dancing christ you must be MISERABLE to be around.

Not a single comment about the Warriors surprising everyone and taking the sixth spot in the west. Not a single comment about beating the heavily favored Nuggets and advancing to the second round. Not even a comment when the Giants won the World Series.

Nope, all you post is hate, hate, hate. It may be time for some self-reflection and realize that maybe following sports may not be the thing for you, if you are unable or unwilling to take *any* joy from your teams' accomplishments.
    Sharks win tonight...where is WTCG?
    Michael Crabtree out for the season with torn Achilles. My ankle hurts just saying that. ouch.

The weekly roundup...

SF Giants: Surprisingly they've pulled off two straight wins against the Nats after a horrible road trip. Their offense is getting the hits and the offensive numbers look good on paper but the RISP hitting could be much better. The starting rotation was in a huge funk but now it looks like things are settling down.

Oakland A's: They've quietly pulled off 5 straight wins, including two in a row against the Rangers. Their starting pitching appears to be impoving, which will be key due to the sporadic nature of their offense.

SJ Sharks: They've tied the series with the Kings but nothing has been won yet I had the Kings in 5 games. It's a whole new series now but there's still a long way to go.

GS Warriors: The young team has some talent. Now it's the matter of turning that talent into something special. It's not the time for management to sell of bits and pieces of the team to the highest bidders.

Raiders: Charles Woodson signed to a one-year deal. Now there's someone on the Raiders people have actually heard of.

49ers: KingCrab...KingCrab...After a breakout season last season it looks like he's done for 2013 before preseason even begins. It's one thing to lose other WR's on the depth chart like Kyle Williams but when the team's primary receiver goes down for an entire season it's bound to cost a few wins. Boldin and company will likely pick up the slack to an extent but this not good by any stretch. The team finally has a QB who could actually exploit the deep threat then this.

Now it's reported that Crabtree might not miss the entire season. But when he comes back late in the season will it be too little too late?

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    In the last 3 years, your teams have won 2 World Series, been to a Super Bowl and NFC Championship Game, and had one of the more enjoyable postseason NBA playoff runs in while. The Sharks are 2 wins away from the Western Conference Finals. Who has it better than the Bay Area right now?

And btw...fans of championship winning teams shouldn't get too uptight over a 3-game losing streak in baseball...it's just bad form.

<< <i>In the last 3 years, your teams have won 2 World Series, been to a Super Bowl and NFC Championship Game, and had one of the more enjoyable postseason NBA playoff runs in while. The Sharks are 2 wins away from the Western Conference Finals. Who has it better than the Bay Area right now?

And btw...fans of championship winning teams shouldn't get too uptight over a 3-game losing streak in baseball...it's just bad form. >>

WTCG is the worst kind of 'fan'. Never happy, and someone to whom anything short of a championship is a lost season. A quick look at his twitter feed is nothing but negativity and bile. The Warriors had an amazing run, beating the heavily favored Nuggets and took the 4-time champs Spurs to 6 games, but not a single positive response out of his yap.

Ignore him, you'll be much better off.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the OP.....

Being a Toronto native, you have nothing to complain about.

Hockey.....Maple Leafs last won the Cup in 1967!!!!!

Baseball.....OK we won in 1992 and 1993 but we're the joke of the League since then (especially this year).

Basketball....Let's not even go there.

Football...we have the CFL...woohoo!!!!(actually, I do ebjoy the CFL over the NFL)

But, unlike the OP, I do find enjoyment in my teams.

The Leafs this year (one of the youngest teams in the NHL, gave the Bruins a huge scare and eventhough Game 7 was a tragic loss for the Leafs, I'm still proud of them and if anyone watched all 7 games, they were extremely entertainig).

The Jays are disappointing, but I still enjoy watching their baseball games, as I've always been a fan of the great game of baseball anyway.

I've always hated basketball, so I can't comment any further.

So I really think the OP should just enjoy his sports teams more and stop worrying so much.

Life is too short to waste it stewing over some 'home' sports teams that truly, doesn't personally give a darn about the OP and 99% of them haven't grown up in your home town anyway so waht's the great personal connection?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

<< <i>
    So I really think the OP should just enjoy his sports teams more and stop worrying so much.

Life is too short to waste it stewing over some 'home' sports teams that truly, doesn't personally give a darn about the OP and 99% of them haven't grown up in your home town anyway so waht's the great personal connection? >>

Someone like WTCG isn't happy unless he's jumping up and down ranting like a madman, whining and complaining like a spoiled brat because his teams don't win championships every year. The Warriors were an amazingly good story this year, out of nowhere, picked to finish in the lottery (again) and had a thoroughly entertaining run through the playoffs.

SJ Sharks: Right on cue it's the same old song and dance. Maybe it was their inability to win on the road. Maybe the HP Pavillion was built over an old burial ground. Whatever the reason, the Sharks losing in the playoffs is an annual ritual.

The good news for the ownership is the team won enough games to keep the season ticket holders interested enough to come back for one more year. With an aging core of players, team rebuilding becomes more inevitable. But since we're California not Canada, it's in the interest of the ownership to field an over-the-hill weak playoff team that gives off a false sense of hope rather than a team with growing pains but with good long term potential.
  • 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I agree with your point above about the Sharks. It's common for the Sharks to be bounced from the playoffs. They need to draft a franchise player, a young stud like Crosby or Malkin that immediately tears up the NHL. They need one to get them over the hump!

<< <i>SJ Sharks: Right on cue it's the same old song and dance. Maybe it was their inability to win on the road. Maybe the HP Pavillion was built over an old burial ground. Whatever the reason, the Sharks losing in the playoffs is an annual ritual.

The good news for the ownership is the team won enough games to keep the season ticket holders interested enough to come back for one more year. With an aging core of players, team rebuilding becomes more inevitable. But since we're California not Canada, it's in the interest of the ownership to field an over-the-hill weak playoff team that gives off a false sense of hope rather than a team with growing pains but with good long term potential. >>

Right, taking the defending champs to 7 games and losing 2-1 is the end of the world.

In the last three years, the teams you claim to be a fan of have:

2 world series titles - Giants
    1 super bowl appearance and one play away from a second- 49ers
    3 consecutive playoff appearances - Sharks
    Surprising, out of nowhere playoff appearance - A's
    See above, but in basketball - Warriors

A tremendous resurgence in bay area sports is happening, and the only person who thinks its a waste is YOU. The Bay Area is experiencing success in so many fronts is a bounty of year round sports successes, but again, the only one whining about it is YOU. The fact you are unable to take a single moment of joy from it speaks volumes about the entitled, spoiled 'fan' you are. The fact that you find anything short of a championship a waste makes you the absolute, worst type of fan, EVER.

TTT.

Not a single post anywhere on the Sports Talk forum during the 2014-2015 season by WTCG about the Warriors.

Best record in the league and 8 wins away from the title.

Crickets?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TTT.

Not a single post anywhere on the Sports Talk forum during the 2014-2015 season by WTCG about the Warriors.

Best record in the league and 8 wins away from the title.

Crickets? >>

He's only happy if his teams are losing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    He posted a lot in my Giants threads. Sadly, I didn't get much opportunity to brag on the Giants during the 2014 championship run, but....

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he had a lobotomy and got smarter.
    One more win by the Warriors in the 2014-2015 NBA season and the team will finally be worthy. Because one more win will bring a championship to the S.F. Bay Area.

Of course some may still grouse because the Warriors lost 15 games in the regular season and have actually lost 5 games (so far) in the playoffs.
    One more win and the 2014-2015 Warriors will win the title and finally be worthy.

However even with one more win and a title some fans may still grouse because the Warriors lost 15 games in the regular season and 5 (so far) in the playoffs.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny that those who complain the most about things have invariably accomplished the least.
    Well, the Warriors are finally worthy.

They have won the NBA 2015 title.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Too bad WTCG jumped off the Golden Gate already. He missed a great year in Nor Cal sports. LOL!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take it from a lifelong Cleveland fan, you guys don't know how fortunate you are. we have at least made it to the Championship round in Baseball and Basketball, but when it comes to Football things get confusing. my ultimate fantasy Superbowl matchup --- two teams who have yet to play in one but battled for the Championship almost every year during the 1950's, The Cleveland Browns vs. The Detroit Lions. in true fashion, Detroit would tie the game with a long field goal at the end of regulation and win in OT.

woe is me!!image