Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

18 year storage of American Silver Eagles

These are both 1995 ASE in the original packaging of how the big dealers sent it to me. One is the Littleton Coin Co. which I am sure you would be familiar with. The other is from a German dealer, maybe MDM.

Both coins do not show signs of PVC damage, so the plastic used is archival. However, both are fitted with cardboard. The one from Littleton surrounds the coin too closely and that is why I think it started to tarnish/tone. The one from the German company also has a cardboard insert, but its not touching the coin and the coin does not have anywhere near the tarnish/toning of the one from Littleton.

I do not like the Littleton container and want to toss it and give the coin a quick acetone bath before putting it in an air-tite capsule. The flip from the German company is nice looking with that insert explaining a bit about the coin, but the cardboard I worry about. It looks attractive like this but the flip is larger than a 2X2 so I cannot store it with other 2X2 flips. That is what makes it awkward. I am also opting to go store it in an air-tite.

Any feedback or comments appreciated.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin being .999 silver is likely to tone, so giving it a bath is something you can do, but I don't think it is necessary.

I keep my silver eagles in plastic 2x2 snap cases and they have stayed as is.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I usually just put mine in saflip 2x2's. The coins I plan on preserving (toning-wise) go into slabs, or I buy them slabbed, unless of course I aim to let them tone over time ... which I haven't dabbled in very much.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Toned ASEs are worth more than nontoned...image
    Becky
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for contributing guys!

Silver near cardboard is bad news. That is the lesson learned. Once silver goes back to $50, none of this will matter. I just like having a pristine collection as much as possible. I am also learning a lot about chemical reactions along the way. One could have the best of intentions, then poof, look what happens.

2x2 mylar flips, square snap cases or round coin capsules would be excellent for silver coins. They just need to be far way from paper, tissue, cardboard or rubber bands. I personally like the look and feel of air tite capsules or Lindner capsules. Its easy to show kids the coins and one does not have to worry about mishandling at that point.

PS How do I make the picture bigger??
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I wrapped a silver eagle in a Taco Bell napkin for about 12 months and keep it near a head source. Watch the rainbow grow.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wrapped a silver eagle in a Taco Bell napkin for about 12 months and keep it near a head source. Watch the rainbow grow. >>

No joke? Hmm, there's a TB on the corner down the street from my neighborhood. I've never actually been, but wouldn't their napkins be the same as any other fast-food napkin?

Or were you implying the taco grease had something to do with it?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    santeliasantelia Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Maybe if we dipped the coin in Taco Bell grease..:-)
    Chinese cash enthusiast