Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What are the options for archival safe storage boxes for coins stored in 2X2 mylar coin flips?

I want to place some silver coins in 2X2 mylar flips and then have them all in a long rectangular box for storage.
I see a lot of cardboard boxes for sale that can hold these coins in flips. However, the cardboard environment is not ideal for silver. Gold is more resistant, of course.
What is good for silver is going to be good for gold, so I must think about the silver first.

So, what box should I use and who sells them?

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated. You guys are very knowledgeable. As you can see, I have been on Collector's Universe for quite some time for both coins and baseball cards. The resource here is just tremendous!!

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Barring finding any Intercept Shield 2x2 boxes, the blue Whitman plastic coin boxes should work fine.

Wizard has them
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any issues with my saflip boxes (red cardboard, hard 2x2 saflips). image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy 2"x2"x9" blue plastic (styrene, I believe) boxes with are completely inert and coin safe.

They used to be made by (the old) Whitman. They no longer make them, but another company does (in China, of course).
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    I have always had good luck with the blue Whitman style boxes in hard plastic, with the coins themselves in either stapled 2x2 cardboard holders with mylar windows or mylar flips.
  • Options
    Are those plastic blue Whitman box contain any bad chemicals such as PVC?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are those plastic blue Whitman box contain any bad chemicals such as PVC? >>

No, they are likely molded from a polycarbonate.......

hard plastic = good; soft plastic = "maybe" bad; soft, pliable plastic flip = 99.9% bad
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are those plastic blue Whitman box contain any bad chemicals such as PVC? >>

No, they are likely molded from a polycarbonate....... >>

The old Whitman blue boxes (no longer made) and the new Chinese ones that replace them are polystyrene.
    I think the new silver NGC boxes are also polystyrene.

The PCGS blue boxes are polycarbonate as were the old NGC clear brown boxes.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

I have used the Blue whitman 2x2 boxes for 20 years.
    They are inert and work great . Don't need any other product.

Cardboard stapled 2x2's can be a problem if the stables are not sinched down
    and the box is packed. Better to use mylar flips.

Krueger