Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATED in 1st post I am giving a presentation to my daughter's 3rd grade and son's 5th grade cla

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
I've been invited to give a 30 to 45 min talk on numismatics at my children's school.

I wanted to reach out to everyone to see if you have any ideas or experiences doing this.

I will discuss, the history of money, how it got started, the meaning of coins, special coins and why they were made, a little about the manufacturing process, coin collectors and how they collect, and how I got started.

I am planning on giving out a grab bag of coins for each student....handful of wheats, indian cent, buffalo nickel, and I will bring a few silver dollars and silver certificates to give out as prizes for giving correct answers. I am also bringing dozens of the old whitman folders to give out as well.....thats how we all started!

For show and tell, and this is hard to contain myself...fewer isn't better...

These items should give instant gratification:
$1000 note
$500 note
various select notes, Educational, Indian, Gold Certificates, etc
Early Bust Coins
Large Cent
Saint
One Dollar Gold
gold nuggets
odd demons 2 cents, etc.

Any other ideas?
---------------------------------
Updated on 6/3

The talk for both classes went wayyyyyy better than I could have imagined.

I started with the 3rd grade class. I was given 45 mins. At first, the teacher couldn't believe I could talk for 45 mins about coins, so they suggested 20 to 30 mins. I said nope, no problem, I will keep it entertaining, I promise. For those that don't know me, I am a total jack*ss, I just let it fly and have fun. Then the day of the talk comes around, I'm thinking simple and sweet, is 45 mins toooooo long for a bunch of 8 year olds? Maybe I can keep them really engaged for 15/20 mins and I hope to fill up the rest of the time. But I am on a mission, the coin gods are calling me, I must spread the gospel!!!!! I must recruit new numismatics and cultivate fledging collectors.....all of this while trying not to embarrass my daughter (3rd grade) and son (5th grade).

I had prepared 70 something grab bags of coins, in each: a buffalo nickel , an indian cent, and a dozen world coins. For prizes I have out a total of 10 silver certificates and about 15 off center cents. All of this was a huge hit. At the beginning of each talk, I negotiated with the teacher on behalf of the class, that if everyone behaved and participated, that they get a bump to the next grade on their next history test, the teachers agreed.

The one obvious mistake a made: I brought too much. But its ok, I simply didn't show everything, and just focus on what I thought was going to be a hit.

Here's what I brought and what the kids liked....in order of how popular they were:

$1000 and $500 notes: no brainer
500BC Lydia silver coin: a huge hit
1776 Continental Currency Notes: they freaked out over this
3.3 oz gold nugget, with a cool story of how I acquired it, they stood in line to hold it in their hands!
Twenty Dollar Gold coin: after I taught them how to hold coins, another line formed to hold this in their hands...the correct way
A wildly rainbow bag toned Morgan, the girls really liked this.

I had placed about 20 notes on a large board and leaned it up against the wall, so everyone could get a clear view. The cool stuff, Bison, Large Eagle Silver Certs, etc.

They I had a tray of common, loose classic coins, Morgan, Peace, Barbers, bust Half, Pieces of Eight, "treasure coins" all coins they could touch and feel, the correct way.

With each talk, I asked a lot of questions, everyone was really into it, no one seem to think it was boring at all. Most were coin collectors, especially the state quarters but they'd tell me stories about their coins from other places where their parents have traveled, stories about wheat cents, and of course, silver pennies of 1943!

After a few mins of chit chat and giving everyone a chance to talk, I opened up a Powerpoint with about 10 slides. A picture of the half-disme, the story had them really engaged. A continental dollar, what it means, why are there 13 circles on the back??? etc type of questions. With each slide, a lot of kids just started raising there hands to ask questions.

In the third grade talk, we were all having such a good time, I looked down at my watch and I realized it had been an hour, and I was late for the 5th grade!!!! So they only got 30 mins. I am still stunned that I could have gone for over an hour, with a fully engaged 3rd grade class about coins!

Fifth grade was more of the same, they were very curious about all the coins in their grab bag. Asked a lot of questions about the metal contents of the world coins. The aluminum threw them off. There were a few kids that had Whitman folders, thats a good sign! One girl kept going on and on about her visit to the Carson City Mint, the tour there really made an impression.

My son is in the fifth grade, and he's not into coins. The scene was quite funny. Alex is sitting front center, two feet from me, with his arms folded. He had this look on his face, like DAD, PLEASE do not embarrass me, and you Dad, are about to find out how coins are not cool at all. He sat there watching his friends nearly knock over their desks because they are raising their hands so high and excited to answer questions, beg, yes beg, to be my assistant and bodyguard ( two positions I created in the talk), constantly ohhhh and ahhhh, ask questions about each coin I displayed, and proceeded to discuss coin collecting activities they have had with their Dad and families. The look on his face was priceless. Shocked and proud that I was his Dad. I guess he never thought that his Dad's hobby that he has grown up around would ever be so popular with his "cool' friends.

When the fifth grade talk was over, the last bell rang for the kids to leave, but every single child came up to me to talk and look at more stuff up close.

In the days after the talk, I had well over a dozen parents come up to me to say thank you, it was a big hit. One Father said it was great because his daughter showed him her sil cert she had won, which led to Dad's old coins, then some of Dad's old stories came out. He said it was a really close 2 hour bonding session with his daughter.

The teachers said it was the best in classroom experience they had ever seen!

A big shout out to a few forum members here, I appreciated all the advice, thank you. And a special thank you to the members who loaned me items from their collection to share with the class. That was very kind and double thank you. You know who you are!

Our hobby is alive and well. We just have to do our part to nurture them along.

Seth

Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Grab bag is a nice idea. Most kids have never seen an indian head cent or
    buffalo nickel.

They will find the large (size and denomination) bills interesting.

Half dime and 3 cent pieces are always interesting.

The change in the women on the coins is interesting in terms of fashion.

I find the "face forward" Jefferson on the newer nickels interesting.

Remind everyone that you DO NOT keep gold coins at home.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will do this with wifeys classes when she asks:
    Since I'm a half dude I would bring in some examples of every general type of half dollar I have, showing the design differences through the years, with metal composition comparisons too. Try to throw in examples of what each would buy too when discussing, along with historical events that the coins might have seen, who's pocket they might have been in, stuff like that.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about an ancient or two. You can even buy some very common late roman bronzes cheaply. Im sure kids would be floored to see something so old.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be concerned with showing anything of too high of value.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take my box of World Coins and tell them they can all pick one.

2 Cent Pieces always make an impression.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take gold chocolate coins, kids love to eat them!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have access to same, I would suggest that you add to your show and tell items a gold bar or silver bar which is stamped showing weight and purity. You could pass it around the class so the students can hold it in their hands. You could also explain the spot price of precious metals and have them calculate the value of the bar based upon the current spot price.

My youngest son went on a class field trip in 4th grade to the State Capital in Sacramento. Multiple stops during the filed trip, including the Wells Fargo Bank building in Sacramento. It is a huge, new skyscraper and on the ground floor is a museum with the Stage Coach and a mock up and an 1850's Wells Fargo Office in Sacramento. The docent leading the tour had the students go to the mock up office and he opened the big metal safe. He reached in the safe and pulled out a very large and very heavy bar of gold (probably 40 pounds or $640.00 ounces). At that time gold was trading at around $440.00 per ounce. The docent handed the gold bar to my son. My son's eyes lit up big time when he was standing in the middle of his classmates holding about $280,000.00 worth of gold in his hands.

If you do not have access to a gold bar, perhaps a heavy brick can be found and painted gold.
  • Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having done the exact thing myself, I found the $500 & $1000 notes a BIG hit. I'd recommend putting them in hard plastic holders. A gold coin or two and an 18th century Large cent are good attention getters. Tossing out a few Indian & Wheat cents, a few Buffalo Nickels and a Mercury dime would make you very popular.

It's a lot of fun and you might even have your kids come home from school and tell you the class thought you were the coolest dad ever!
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need to bring so many high end items. One rare item plus more inexpensive, common alternatives that still get your point across will work perfectly fine. Numismatists always forget that non collectors are always more impressed with the older the coin and the more exotic the source. Condition comes in a distant second and non collectors do not care about key dates. You're giving a talk to 5th graders and their teacher, not giving instruction at the summer seminar.

A decent uncirculated common date Buffalo Nickel will do just as much as a Bust Quarter will. Wheat cents work wonders as giveaway gifts.

Also keep your talk interesting while using relevant anecdotes the youngsters can relate to and care about. 5th graders' attention spans fade quickly and once you lose them there's no fixing that damage.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Don't bring currency unless you don't care if it's gonna get bent like 200 times...

I think a really brief, funny, light hearted way to present coin history would be cool- don't keep the presentation longer than 10 minutes. These are, after all, 3rd graders. What would be fun, though, is a "coin bingo": pass out bingo cards, and play several (3-5) rounds. For Bingo markers, use a bunch of wheat cents. As prizes, give out VF-F condition coins.

That will give each student a little time to actually look at the coins in their hands and such.

You can still do a show-and-tell in addition to the game.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some handfuls of "by the pound" foreign stuff and an old Krause catalog to stay in the classroom will get them going. As others have said, no need to take anything valuable. You want to show that the hobby is approachable. They'd be impressed by Indian cents from the 1890s. See what they're doing in history and if you can bring any coins that overlap it.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Seth. Have fun!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hello,

<<I will discuss, the history of money, how it got started, the meaning of coins, special coins and why they were made, a little about the manufacturing process, coin collectors and how they collect, and how I got started. I will discuss, the history of money, how it got started, the meaning of coins, special coins and why they were made, a little about the manufacturing process, coin collectors and how they collect, and how I got started.

I am planning on giving out a grab bag of coins for each student....handful of wheats, indian cent, buffalo nickel, and I will bring a few silver dollars and silver certificates to give out as prizes for giving correct answers. I am also bringing dozens of the old whitman folders to give out as well.....thats how we all started!

For show and tell, and this is hard to contain myself...fewer isn't better...

These items should give instant gratification:
    $1000 note
    $500 note
    various select notes, Educational, Indian, Gold Certificates, etc
    Early Bust Coins
    Large Cent
    Saint
    One Dollar Gold
    gold nuggets
    odd demons 2 cents, etc.>>

You are a great dad!
    I don't know why no one has said it but I will - I think your intended scope is way to large for 3rd grade, and perhaps for 5th grade in 30-45 minutes. Just re-read it, count the topics and divide into the time. you will be speed talking. Better to make a few points that are retained than a dazzling, dizzying display that will be either confusing or too condensed and thus bounce off. Having taught for a short for some time (little kids to adults, challenged too for a while) this is my advice. I would expect a common approach would be to tie in a coin with a historical event they know, placing collecting in a context, followed by a bit of why condition is important. And then a touch of show and tell. Your "want list" sound enough to confuse and turn off many kids, even 5th grade perhaps.

I can talk at breakneck speed about the weaves of linen appropriate for oil painting, the weights, yarns, wet/dry spun, stretching, tacks to be used and how, how to align and stretch, how to remove size and restretch for sizing, what a stretcher is, what glue is and how it is made, lead, oils and so on Not to mention the history of these things. But no one retains this - and they all want to paint in 12 minutes anyway. By making the information have a context and practical use, ie by showing why Monet canvases are cracked in the corners making a diamond shape (because he did not know how to stretch his purchased cheapo canvas at all), or that Rembrandt used the lowest quality lead when he bothered to make his own canvas, people say "ah! That is why..." - and even that is overkill for 85% or more people. My .02. Keep it simple.

Best wishes with this! I hope whatever you do has great success!

Eric
  • Options
    KrustyKrabKrustyKrab Posts: 25 ✭✭
    You could do a little magic and turn regular ATB quarter into the 5oz silver version (if you have one). Might be able to open with something like that to get their attention.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Seth,

I have done this twice, to grade schoolers in Tahoe, and my home town Houston.

You will overwhelm them with any details past basic.

Pass around some unusual coins--ones they have never heard of or seen. That might start with Buffalos, as they are so young

If you have some oversized coins, they would love it--Pan Pac 50's, Bolivian 5 dl, Big Panda.

A quiz is fun-- Name the first and last state quarter, and a prize

The speech is fine, and well worth while for a few, but get to the actual coins asap.

Good luck and have fun with your kids(and coins)
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    A point I forgot to add but BG picked up on is be prepared to have your coins handled and manhandled by dozens of dirty hands. Be prepared for slabs and coins to be dropped, thrown and soiled. Make sure your paper money is housed in those screw-together hard acrylic holders or don't be surprised if your UNC note becomes an XF by the time you're done. It's that way when showing 'n telling with adults so you can imaging it would be 100x worse with kids.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever you do, give them something tangible to go home with.

It might also be fun to bust open a dozen rolls of cents and have them search through them to find the 4 or 5 wheat cents you planted.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Make sure your paper money is housed in those screw-together hard acrylic holders and don't be surprised if your UNC note becomes an XF by the time you're done. >>

Fixed it for you. It's amazing what some kids are capable of.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Bring an error coin, that will blow their minds!!! image
    Error Cent
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    I've done this a few times. I have been brought for Show & Tell and for Career Day. My agenda has been:

1. Show 2,200 year old large, heavy Roman Bronze coin. Tell a little history and pass it around.

2. Bring a small Tupperware bowl of wheat cents and steel cents and a large magnet. Talk about steel cent history and magnetism and have a volunteer help with the demonstration. Give each kid a steel cent.

3. Show a blow-up picture of a 3-Leg Buffalo Nickel. Tell about Black Diamond and the chiefs purported to have posed for the obverse. Then, point out the 3-Leg and share the story and value. Give each kid a Buffalo Nickel.

4. If there's time, bring a large size bill and compare it to current size.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free Stuff. SHORT talk. Pass around a gold coin. Give them a 1975-date blue Whitman Lincoln folder. Keep it SHORT. Don't even bring up the subject of Standish Barry Three Pence Coins.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    I wouldn't bring all that valuable stuff, unless you want to keep it under a dealer's case. Chances are decent that something goes missing or gets damaged, and there will be bad feelings for all involved. The kids will see your temper and most will sour on the hobby from that incident, and you'll never want to do it again either. I see no need to tempt young kids with a $1000+ item, when a $20 value ancient or metal detector dug colonial will be just as interesting to most kids.

Ten minutes is about the right length for a presentation for kids. Talk about the oldest coin, the biggest coin, the smallest, the lowest grade worn dug coin, the new proofs. That would do for ten minutes. Maybe some shipwreck coins or metal detector coins if you have any. Kids are captivated by the idea of buried treasure and secret maps. For the rest of the time, games are good, but bingo a bit slow for 10 year olds and trivia too intellectual. Maybe a spin the wheel kind of game for prizes. Maybe some kind of coin toss game or coin shuffleboard. Topical coins (ships, animals, foreign) may be much more interesting to many kids than old coins.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    A giant ATB puck from your state (assuming it has been released) and matching state quarters for the kid to take home.

I agree with other posters, keep it short. Think 'Show and Tell' when you were in grade school.

After that, milk and cookies! Yea!
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,all the previous suggestions are great! However, I think you need to show them something they might already be interested in.Such as an baseball memorabilia theme. Have you ever seen/heard of the Statehood Quarter program with Baseball players on the obverses? They were sold in a baseball type cellophane pack. They would contain 1 or 2 quarters(I can't recall,if 1 or 2 quarters) with 5 cards of baseball players as well. The pictures of the player on the quarter,would be on the same state that the player plays for on their team. These I would think,would maybe peak the interest of the Statehood Quarter Program,then hopefully,in return have them notice and collect other coins? I'm from the Chicago area,maybe these are only sold in my area? I bought them at Walgreens. I don't think they are available anymore? Maybe Ebay?Good Luck in your endeavor to excite the youth.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you got everything covered. My only advice is:

Keep it simple and fun.

Most importantly, stress that you keep all your items in a SBD - just in case the wrong ears may be listening.

Let us know how it goes!
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't pass around any coins small enough to swallow.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this and it went over very well. We passed around one or two coins and laid the rest on the table for them to look at and pick up after the talk. The best coins to show are:

Ancient coin "A coin from the time of Jesus"
    8 real "Pirate treasure"
    British half pence from 1700's "Colonial money"
    silver dollar
    two cent "odd denomination"
    large cent
    copper nickel Indian cent "Civil War money"
    Civil War token
    bronze Indian Cent "replaced the tokens"
    large size bill ($1 silver certificate would be fine)

All should be raw and touchable.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Show one of the coins near the founding of our country that have the motto "Mind Your Business" such as the Fugio Cent which is always of interest whether to school child or adult. Fugio Cent or Continental Currency also have the motto. Accompany the coin with a brief summary from Wikipedia explaining how Benjamin Franklin designed our first Copper Penney.

The teacher will be thrilled to give you (or your kid) extra credit if you point out that the sundial and message on the Fugio Cent is another way of reminding, "Time Flies, do your work." Put that motto up on the blackboard, and with your visual aid to reinforce it, the students will remember it for the rest of their lives. Don't be surprised if at their graduation they reflect back on how the impetus to stop wasting time and get down to business instilled in them years ago was the spark that propelled them on to academic success.

Here is the link.Fugio Cent
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would talk about Walkers, cause that is what I am most versed on. Choose something that you know a lot about and like. That will make for a better presentation.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

"Ancient coin "A coin from the time of Jesus" "

Can you say that in school? Should you? No offense please.

Eric

• Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    Call and talk to Rod Gillis at the ANA.
    He'll most-likely be able to ship you a box of goodies!
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most coin collectors don't realize that something like a BU shield nickel might not
    impress kids because they don't know what most shield nickels look like. A well
    worn 2C piece might look like an old valuable coins where they'll ho hum a BU bust.
    By the same token some will be impressed by a BU clad coin from the '60's since it
    looks "different" than what they're used to seeing.

With kids the objective is to show them things that surprise them and this is easy
    to do with a world of coins dating back millinea. Most kids like to see gold and old
    coins. They love coins they can keep especially if the coins are different. They also
    love folders to hold the coins. The '40 to '58 cents can be given pretty cheaply if you
    can find used folders. Memorial cents are great since they can continue at home but
    this takes two folders and they might not appreciate the coins as much. Most kids
    respond fairly well to coins especially when the presenter has a little passion and
    can answer their questions about odd coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ancient coin "A coin from the time of Jesus" "

Can you say that in school? Should you? No offense please.

It's that guy from Mecca you can't mention.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have them play "guess the grade" and see how they do image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done this a variety of times for kids ranging from 4th to 8th grades.

I always start by asking the kids, "Who of you are interested in art?" You'll see a group of hands go up. Then you repeatedly ask after that, "Who of you are interested in science?"... "politics"... "math"... "history", finally ending up with "money". Invariably, after each question some group of hands will go up, and after the question about money essentially all hands will go up.

Then I state that coin collecting (or coins in general) covers all of those fields, and that is one reason why I like to collect coins.

After that it is up to you to decide where you want to take the talk. When I was talking in schools I'd track one series, in my case half dollars, and talk about Liberty and the evolution of what people thought was "Beauty" as exemplified by Liberty, and throw in examples of politics/history along the way. I'd always bring some Morgans too, as kids like the size. Also, that allows you to get into the story of how a school teacher was the model for the Morgan dollar. Depending on the length of time that I had, I might also bring in some toned Morgans to maybe do a brief mention about chemistry. The kids all loved highly toned Morgans. The toned Morgans were slabbed, while all the other coins were raw.

I live in CA. and went on a multi-day school field trip to the Gold Country when my youngest was in 4th grade. I brought along a raw 1849 gold $10 piece, and ALL the kids (and the adults) could not get enough of holding the coin. It helped to bring the history alive for them. Is there some sort of "magic" date for the State that you live in? If so, try and get a coin that links in to that date.

At the end of my talks I'd give each kid in the class a well circulated Buffalo nickel, as they are inexpensive, beautiful, and "different" from what the kids can find in change today. Much as I like Wheaties, I think that they are close enough design-wise to the currently circulating Lincoln, that they are not as "exotic" as a Buffalo. Sometimes I will leave a (circulated) common date Morgan with the teacher, and let him/her use it as a prize for a quiz given later that week.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You could do a little magic and turn regular ATB quarter into the 5oz silver version (if you have one). Might be able to open with something like that to get their attention. >>

I would love to learn how to do that.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I would love to learn how to do that. >>

Magic is easy.

Just get everyone to look at the wrong hand.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Updated in the first post!!!
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic.

I LOVE how you taught them how to handle coins and then let them feel and hold a $20 gold piece. There is something tangible about our hobby that was lost when we started entombing everything. I've owned a few dozen gold coins on and off but I've only ever held two or three of them. The weight and heft of the $20 coin will stick with them forever. Kids have their "idiot" moments, but in general they're so much more capable than we give them credit for.

Great job and it was probably the best history lesson they've had all year.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! Having your children proud of you is priceless.
  • Options
    Well Done! image

Eric
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool - well planned - enjoyed the read!! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great story!

makes me want to do the same thing. but I don't have a collection with those kind of chops.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Seth! Congrats on such a great experience! I am now inspired to do something similar with my kids' classes next year or the year after if I can. You had such great things to share. Holy cow, can you come to my house and do a show and tell? You certainly set the bar high!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Great story. Having some experience in classrooms (about nature/wildlife) its super easy to get caught up in the excitement of children. It's amazing what you can share about things that we love. Visual aids and tangible objects really get them engaged. Great story about your son sitting with you. Did he mention anything when you got back home?
  • Options
    Good to see the kids enjoyed the talk. Keeping grade school kids engaged for more than 10 minutes at a time is no easy task. I remember in 5th grade is when they spend the year learning about U.S. history so the Colonial currency was a great idea helped by ideal timing. Kids and non collectors can't tell the difference between a type coin and a key date so design and relevance go farther than value or conditional rarity.

Now the real test to know just really how interested the kids were...in a week's time inquire about how many of the grab bag coins ended up getting spent at the student store or nearby shops.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Show one of the coins near the founding of our country that have the motto "Mind Your Business" such as the Fugio Cent which is always of interest whether to school child or adult. Fugio Cent or Continental Currency also have the motto. Accompany the coin with a brief summary from Wikipedia explaining how Benjamin Franklin designed our first Copper Penney.

The teacher will be thrilled to give you (or your kid) extra credit if you point out that the sundial and message on the Fugio Cent is another way of reminding, "Time Flies, do your work." Put that motto up on the blackboard, and with your visual aid to reinforce it, the students will remember it for the rest of their lives. Don't be surprised if at their graduation they reflect back on how the impetus to stop wasting time and get down to business instilled in them years ago was the spark that propelled them on to academic success.

Here is the link.Fugio Cent >>

That was great to read the report provided as to how the class visits went. Nice to hear the Continental Currency was such a big hit. Did it include the "Mind your business " motto and did you get a chance to explain how with the sundial the message was, "Time flies, do your work and don't waste time and get down to business?"

Great touch getting the teachers to cooperate by upping the students' grades on their next history test. That alone must have added to your childrens' coolness quotient from their peers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file