Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Wrong Planchet Turkey AH1277/4 20 Para

A nice eBay cherrypick from a couple of weeks ago. This coin, a Turkish AH1277/4 20 Para (1864/1865) was listed (incorrectly) as a proof. It arrived today and weighs 5.5g and should weigh 10.8g. Probably struck on a 10 Para planchet at the Heaton mint in Birmingham.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. I like it!

How's the market for this kind of stuff these days anyway?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. I like it!

How's the market for this kind of stuff these days anyway? >>

No idea. I've got a lot of world errors that are not worth a lot, I just like them for what they are image
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Have you ever seen a catalog, from any country (other than USA) listing known mint errors?

The biggest obstacle IMO is lack of cataloguing. If there's no record then it's hard to set market value. In other words … who knows if this error is rare or not? Perhaps they struck a few thousand this way, after running out of the proper planchet size? Anything is possible without documentation yes?

I know the Heaton mint is/was extremely highly regarded so this particular example is probably rarer than I suggested but you get my point?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you ever seen a catalog, from any country (other than USA) listing known mint errors?

The biggest obstacle IMO is lack of cataloguing. If there's no record then it's hard to set market value. In other words … who knows if this error is rare or not? Perhaps they struck a few thousand this way, after running out of the proper planchet size? Anything is possible without documentation yes?

I know the Heaton mint is/was extremely highly regarded so this particular example is probably rarer than I suggested but you get my point? >>

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Perhaps there's something that exists but I am not aware of it. I collect (not surprisingly) Australian errors and there's a pretty active market for them down here. In some regards, it's quite a bit more active than the US error market because modern Australian errors are very scarce. The sorts of errors I see on modern US material like nickels and dimes and cents that sell for less than $20 would be worth multiple hundreds of dollars if they were Australian errors.

That being said, there's no catalogue of existing errors in Australia and certainly no price guide. My partner and I probably have as good an idea as anybody of the types and availability of Australian errors but there's new stuff turning up all the time.