Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sports Illustrated for Kids - Anyone ever complete it either raw or slabbed?

Has anyone ever completed the SI for Kids set either raw or slabbed? Or at least one of the sport subsets? I would think there would be very little value in slabbing the entire set other than to say you've done it...and if you have $$$$ to spend.

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't even imagine the scope of completing the set as it would be tough to complete in high grade. I picked up some Greg Maddux SI for Kids cards as well as the issues that have them, and the difficulty in separating them on top of the poor print quality and card stock make it quite the task to complete. I subbed a few of them, what I thought were best removed with no paper loss, but I have no clue what they will grade. If you are looking to give it a shot, good luck as there are uncut sheets out there.
  • Options
    sbfinleysbfinley Posts: 357
    I'd say I have have about 98% of of this set up to a certain year, depends on when the magazine folded. My mother renewed it ever year for me as a kid. I'll see if I can dig them out tomorrow for scans and pictures, but the majority are likely not gradable. I've been meaning to pull them out anyway to see if the Tiger is worth subbing. They honestly have not seen the light of day for 15 years.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    According to this website it looks like the magazine is still around churning out cards.
    Checklist
    It looks like there are almost 2500 cards already in the set. Crazy! I did a quick scan of the PSA registry and didn't see any sets/subsets started.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have started a set of 1989 on the Registry years ago. I do think a complete set would be the ultimate challenge for the "all sports" collector. They are tough to find, condition sensitive, full of stars from every sport, and well known.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I've thought about doing the baseball only cards, I have several hundred sheets so I'm sure I have quite a few.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    My dad is a dentist so he would save them for me as a kid and I put them all in a manilla folder. After not collecting when the Tiger card shot to $125,000, and finding out about it about a year or so ago I was pretty stoked to have one. Mailed it in and it came back a 7. I felt I got really good at seperating the cards too, but the centering wasn't perfect and there was a few slight surface scratches. I dunno if it was better to have it slabbed or to sell the entire sheet. But I remember my heart racing when I found it since it was right around the time my dad stopped saving them for me.

As for the other cards, I submitted a Bryce Harper minor league card for kicks though it was pretty OC, almost subbed a Gabby Douglas card for kicks too but didnt.

I thought maybe submitting the Jordans, especially the first few, but never did. Any one have a ballpark what those go for? A full set would be too much when there's plenty of other great cards to be subbed instead.
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    The cards being released now are part of the "fourth" set. Here is a checklist, you can also sort by sport and player.

SI Kids checklist
  • Options
    It sounds like a fun set to collect! I do agree for the money, there are other sets probably better suited at chasing to get them slabbed. This set would have to be for pure enjoyment as the cards wouldn't grade typically high in most cases I imagine....and probably not get your money back. It would be for the sake and enjoyment of saying you did it....or part of it at least.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    A few good rookies in this set. I actually sold a psa 10 usain bolt rookie for 150 bucks a while back. These are some other rookies outside if the big 4

1989 tony hawk
    1989 Kirach Kiraley
    2003 Shaun White
    2008 usain bolt
    The Williams sisters and Kelly slater but can't think of the year off the top of my head
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Great info! Looks like there are many different ways to do a PSA Registry set: 1)complete set, 2)specific sports, 3)by year, 4) by first, second, third, fourth subsets,5) rookie cards. Cool set no matter how you skin it!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    In addition to the ones you list, there are several XRC's in the set, including many of the WNBA (and pre-WNBA women) Hall of Fame players. Tennis players such as Hingis, Capriati, Lendl, and a personal favorite of mine, Mia Hamm has her XRC in the set. It really is a deep pool of players, with early year cards of Gretzky, Jordan, Elway, Magic, Bird, marino, Montana, Ryan, Ripken, and on and on.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Hank36Hank36 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    There's been a handful of women's ice hockey players in the set that I'd like to have slabbed--Natalie Darwitz and Maria Rooth. The problem is that I really have no idea of what the best method of separation is--I take it that you wouldn't want to use scissors (or risk getting a "trimmed" grade) but how does PSA judge perforated edges?

What I'd really get a kick out of would be to have a PSA 10 Britney Spears from the SI for Kids set. That would certainly be a conversation piece.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have researched the best method to remove them, and the best I have seen so far is to score the preforation with a hobby knife and then pull apart. Apparently, you need to show the preforation and this allows for a solid guide without damaging the card upon removal.
  • Options
    sbfinleysbfinley Posts: 357
    Went through basement and found good amount of these. They were loaded away all over the place with with 30-40k worth of junk 80's and 90's commons. I put them away with the rest of my jank when I went to college. No Tiger, but he has to be somewhere because I did find two other cards that came on his sheet. He could be in another of a dozen other monster boxes, but I'm done flipping Walt Weiss cards trying find to find him, at least for now. Found about 500+, but 150 or so were creased or ripped across the perforation so I tossed them. Any names besides the obvious that are worth pulling out? Would it be worth slapping some of the notables on eBay for $3-$4 or would they just sit in purgatory?
    Thanks
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    guess I'll have to add these magazines to my list of things to look for at garage sales this summer!!

al.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any names besides the obvious that are worth pulling out? Would it be worth slapping some of the notables on eBay for $3-$4 or would they just sit in purgatory? >>

I would be interested in any of the golfers (PGA or LPGA) or the 1995 Barry Larkin. I've picked most of the recent ones up for about a buck apiece + ship.
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I own the 1/1 BGS 9.5 Tony Hawk rookie. I can scan it later if anyone wants to see it. Great set with some cool cards put out over the years.

jbox
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see your Tony Hawk card jbox! I was thinking of shipping that one in. I also had the Mat Hoffman card, but in high school carried it around in my wallet till it completely fell apart. Hah.
  • Options
    The tony hawk is a cool card. It's actually really tough to find in good condition. The centering is tough and the color boarders make the corners tough. I only have it in a psa 6.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I spent a number of my early years as a skater during the Bones Brigade days. This is one of my favorite cards and is incredibly tough to find in nice condition. I really think this card is underrated considering what a huge icon Tony has been for a few decades.

• Options
    Awesome card!
  • Options
    Great card. I agree that this is an over looked card. The Shaun White card is also interesting. I guess how popular the athlete is doesn't matter if there is no interest in cards from that sport. Then again you couldn't give away basketball cards in the late 80s..so you never know
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know if PSA grades the baseball cards in the 2nd Sports Illustrated issue back in 1954? It has a mantle?

• Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    A few other rookies to look for

1992 Mia Hamm
    1993 Matt Hoffman
    1996 Annika Sorenstam
    1999 Serena Williams
    2004 Michelle Wie
    2004 Micheal Phelps
    2004 Maria Sharapova
    2007 Darren McFadden
    2008 Sam Bradford