Home Sports Talk
Options

Bayern Munich = Amazing

ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Bayern Munich has played 16 away games in Germany's Top league. They have won 14, tied 2, with no losses.

The amazing stat is not that they have scored 38 goals, but only conceded four away goals in 16 away matches. That means they let up a goal ever four games on the road.

On top of that, they played the best team in Italy and Spain four times this year and beat those teams by a combined score of 11-0.

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Bayern is a machine. My only concern, though, is that with the acquisition of Gotze and (probably) Lewandowski that the Bundesliga is going to become a one team league. I've heard that Pep is going to get a transfer kitty of something like a quarter of a billion euros, which would mean that he could buy just about anyone he wanted (save Messi); if that does happen then we could be looking at one of the upcoming Bayern squads as the best club team ever assembled.
  • Options
    I can not find on google the greatest club results ever.

Bayern is currently 28 (W) 1 (L) 4 (Ties)

Their goal differential is 94-15

I wish there was a list somewhere of the greatest club records ever.

Interestingly I have been watching Bayern's season on GolTV this year.
    Just last week a Spanish network bought out GolTV, and now I have to pay monthly for the channel.

I think Robben is gone next year. I don't think Lewandowski is coming. I think Bayern is happy with Mario Gomez. Thomas Mueller, Frank Ribery, and
    Toni Kroos supply enough offense, as does Schweinsteiger. They don't need a Messi or Lewandowski type player. They are too strong on the wings with
    Ribery, Mueller, and now Gotze. They really don't need an imposing central striker, and Mario Gomez is very good with his foot and head.
  • Options
    I'm a huge Gomez fan, but Manzukic has gotten a ton of games this season, which makes me think Gomez is going to be shipped. I think the fact that Gomez isn't exactly committed to the defensive side of the game is part of the calculus, because if there's one thing this Bayern team does it's defend with 11. I know Pep has been giddy for Suarez, so that might be their big summer move (though his enthusiasm for Suarez may have waned since the biting incident).

I agree that Robben will get shipped. I still think Lewandowski is coming, though I suppose it's possible that he stays at Dortmund or goes to United (if Rooney gets shipped). In any event, one thing I"m sure of is that this Bayern squad is simply unbelievable, and will probably only get better over the summer. I'll be rooting for the Bumblebees in the UCL final, but even though I'm not a Bayern supporter I do have a ton of respect for how that club is managed.

BTW, here's a great article on Bayern's philosophy on season ticket prices- you can't read this and not feel a little envious, given what's happened to ticket prices on this side of the Atlantic-

link
  • Options
    I think I read somewhere that Barcelona is $18 million dollars in debt, and Bayern is running on a huge surplus.
    I think I read where Bayern pays everything in cash, and has no debt. I could be wrong, but I believe I read that recently.

I think you may be right about them getting Lewandowski (for the reasons you mentioned). I think Lewandowski is a better distributer of
    the ball (something that Robben and Gomez can lack).
    I can't see Suarez coming in. I think it's either Gomez, Manzukic or Lewandowski next year, but time will tell. Gomez may prefer going to Dortmund if
    Lewandowski is coming to Bayern. I think Gomez will not want to sit the bench anymore if Lewandowski comes, I have not been impressed with Manzukic even
    though he gets more playing time. I think Gomez has been better.

I think the coach did a great job convincing Frank Ribery to play this system. Once Ribery bought in, the rest of the team flourished.

I don't want to disrespect tika-taka, but I'm just glad that 70's football is once again ruling the day.

• Options
    If Gomez goes anywhere I bet it's to Juve. I know that's a little left-field, but Juve is desperate for a true striker, since it's clear that Matri isn't going to make the grade for a team with European Cup aspirations.

As far as striker movement goes, though, I don't think anything happens until the Falcao move is finalized. I'm hearing now that he's off to Monaco (?), which would be completely unexpected, though I guess they have aspirations and are loaded with petro dollars. If they do get him then that makes Rooney a bigger target for Chelsea, United may go in for Gomez or Lewandowski, etc. etc. But the Falcao domino, I think, has to fall first.

I can't wait for the UCL final on the 25th- I think this is going to be a fantastic game. At present I think Bayern and Dortmund play the most attractive football of any teams in Europe (I'm not a big Barca guy, and Real can play too negative for my tastes), so seeing them square off for all the cookies is going to be incredible. Though I do wonder how Gotze is going to approach it, given his imminent move to Munich.

• Options
    Looks like the chatter has Lewanduski joining Goetze at Bayern. If that comes true, then I expect both Gomez and Mandzukic to go.

That would give Bayern the flexibility of playing Ribery, Robben, Mueller, and Goetze at forward/midfield, with Lewanduski their main striker.

I imagine Bayern would look like this next year

Nueur

Alaba....Lahm...Boetang...Dante
    Kroos..Schweinsteiger....Martinez

And then any of these forwards to choose from

Ribery, Mueller, Lewanduski, Robben, and Goetze

I see absolutely no room for Gomez or Mandzukic. If any other forward were to go I would expect Robben, but Robben may want to stay even in a more limited role.

Anyway, I can't remember a better season then the one Bayern put together this year. The scary thing is that if they're still hungry, they could do just as well next year.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like the chatter has Lewanduski joining Goetze at Bayern. If that comes true, then I expect both Gomez and Mandzukic to go.

That would give Bayern the flexibility of playing Ribery, Robben, Mueller, and Goetze at forward/midfield, with Lewanduski their main striker.

I imagine Bayern would look like this next year

Nueur

Alaba....Lahm...Boetang...Dante
    Kroos..Schweinsteiger....Martinez

And then any of these forwards to choose from

Ribery, Mueller, Lewanduski, Robben, and Goetze

I see absolutely no room for Gomez or Mandzukic. If any other forward were to go I would expect Robben, but Robben may want to stay even in a more limited role.

Anyway, I can't remember a better season then the one Bayern put together this year. The scary thing is that if they're still hungry, they could do just as well next year. >>

The UCL Final was terrific, and while I was rooting for the Bumblebees I'm still glad I took the time to watch it.

Bayern is going to be a juggernaut next year. Assuming Barca and Real make upgrades in the summer window the latter rounds of the UCL knockout stage could be positively epic next spring.