Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Hall of Flakes

zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Baseball is known for having a lot of memorable flakes in its history.

Off the top of my head these guys were about as goofy as it gets:

Bob Uecker
Dizzy Dean
Jimmy Piersall
Bill Lee
Mark Fidrych

Who are your favorite flakes throught MLB history?

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I would think Harry Carey could broadcast the game.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Carlos Zambrano. The guy beat up several of his own teammates over the years, and then in 2011 he got ejected from a game after throwing at several Braves players. Zambrano then went and cleaned out his locker, left the stadium alone without his teammates and informed his agent that he wanted to quit baseball. What a crybaby loser.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I never understood the love for Zambrano. When I watched ESPN, I coulda swore he played for the Yankees based on how over hyped his ability was. As for his quitting, whatever. Not shocking for an overpaid Cubs' player to just quit....
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never understood the love for Zambrano. When I watched ESPN, I coulda swore he played for the Yankees based on how over hyped his ability was. As for his quitting, whatever. Not shocking for an overpaid Cubs' player to just quit.... >>

I dont know if id say his ability was over hyped. He was pretty darn good for a while for the Cubs. He had a winning record for 9 straight seasons, an ERA under 4.00 8 of those seasons, and made over 30 starts 5 times. He was an ace or good second pitcher in their rotation for many years. As for his goofiness, he certainly was entertaining with all of his antics. I hope someone signs him so i can watch his break stuff in the dugout again lol.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Ty Cobb definitely had a sociopath tendency or two.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What exactly are we meaning by "flakes"?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    This guy may be a bit extreme for "flake" in a fun way but Milton Bradley might have his own category when it comes to weirdness.
  • Options
    When I think of a "flake", I just think of someone who doesn't fit in. Someone with a low Social IQ.. doesn't quite qet it.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    In the "weird" player category, Turk Wendell is in the Hall of Fame.

• Options
    zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

<< <i>What exactly are we meaning by "flakes"? >>

I was thinking a "flake" is an oddball, goofy individual who marches to the beat of his own drum.

Ty Cobb, John Rocker, Carlos Zambrano, etc. are just classic bad boy a-holes in my opinion. (not necessarily flakes).
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    The Mad Hungarian was a blast to watch.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I never understood the love for Zambrano. When I watched ESPN, I coulda swore he played for the Yankees based on how over hyped his ability was. As for his quitting, whatever. Not shocking for an overpaid Cubs' player to just quit.... >>

I dont know if id say his ability was over hyped. He was pretty darn good for a while for the Cubs. He had a winning record for 9 straight seasons, an ERA under 4.00 8 of those seasons, and made over 30 starts 5 times. He was an ace or good second pitcher in their rotation for many years. As for his goofiness, he certainly was entertaining with all of his antics. I hope someone signs him so i can watch his break stuff in the dugout again lol. >>

correct, his ability wasn't overrated. It's makeup stuff time again because he's got anger management issues and stuff. By any measure he's right there with top of the rotation starters like Jack McDowell, Jason Schmidt, Chris Carpenter, Ramon Martinez etc who had a brief peak and then faded out quickly for whatever reason...generally health or in Zambrano's case, a large drop in velocity which killed the effectiveness of his sinker which was his key offering and subsequently his back of the rotation skills and attitude issues became more trouble than he was worth.
  • Options

<< <i>Carlos Zambrano. The guy beat up several of his own teammates over the years, and then in 2011 he got ejected from a game after throwing at several Braves players. Zambrano then went and cleaned out his locker, left the stadium alone without his teammates and informed his agent that he wanted to quit baseball. What a crybaby loser. >>

by several you mean one (in both cases), correct? If you can name someone other than the one punch he threw at Michael Barrett I'm curious to know who these others were. You do recall he didn't actually drill Chipper, correct? The guy he did drill, Uggla, wasn't a purpose pitch. It was a 2 seam runner. If he was throwing at him it wouldn't be a sinker. I'd also like to hear your take on why Zambrano is this bad dude but no mention of players who manically flail about with a bat and incite brawls or perhaps say people within the game who have been arrested for beating their wives...specifically former managers.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Stanley: What the [bleep] are you talking about?
    Gabriel: Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Carlos Zambrano. The guy beat up several of his own teammates over the years, and then in 2011 he got ejected from a game after throwing at several Braves players. Zambrano then went and cleaned out his locker, left the stadium alone without his teammates and informed his agent that he wanted to quit baseball. What a crybaby loser. >>

by several you mean one (in both cases), correct? If you can name someone other than the one punch he threw at Michael Barrett I'm curious to know who these others were. You do recall he didn't actually drill Chipper, correct? The guy he did drill, Uggla, wasn't a purpose pitch. It was a 2 seam runner. If he was throwing at him it wouldn't be a sinker. I'd also like to hear your take on why Zambrano is this bad dude but no mention of players who manically flail about with a bat and incite brawls or perhaps say people within the game who have been arrested for beating their wives...specifically former managers. >>

?? No, I meant what I said. Zambrano has had multiple fights with his teammates over the years (not just Michael Barrett). Derek Lee would be another example. Zambrano started an altercation with Lee in the Cubs dugout and the two had to be separated by Lou Pinella, who told Zambrano to go home and later explained that he'd rather play with 24 players instead of 25, rather than tolerate Zambrano's childish behavior. Your response to my original comment almost makes it sound like you think I was making something up? When it comes Zambrano, there is no need to exaggerate.

In terms of Chipper, I never said he "drilled" Chipper. I said threw at him. In fact, he threw at him twice.

In terms of your comments related to Bobby Cox- The guy won 14 consecutive division titles. It has never been done before in baseball and it will never be done again in baseball or any other sport for that matter. That is the feat that I celebrate. He, as well as many others, have had off the field issues.

• Options
    On a slightly less violent note, I recall that Zambrano and Mike Fontenot had this weird pre-game ritual they'd do, where Zambrano pretended to hammer Fontenot into the ground like a nail, then put him on his back and carry him around the dugout.

• Options
    Manny Ramirez would be my choice as the biggest flake
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

by several you mean one (in both cases), correct? If you can name someone other than the one punch he threw at Michael Barrett I'm curious to know who these others were. You do recall he didn't actually drill Chipper, correct? The guy he did drill, Uggla, wasn't a purpose pitch. It was a 2 seam runner. If he was throwing at him it wouldn't be a sinker. I'd also like to hear your take on why Zambrano is this bad dude but no mention of players who manically flail about with a bat and incite brawls or perhaps say people within the game who have been arrested for beating their wives...specifically former managers. >>

?? No, I meant what I said. Zambrano has had multiple fights with his teammates over the years (not just Michael Barrett). Derek Lee would be another example. Zambrano started an altercation with Lee in the Cubs dugout and the two had to be separated by Lou Pinella, who told Zambrano to go home and later explained that he'd rather play with 24 players instead of 25, rather than tolerate Zambrano's childish behavior. Your response to my original comment almost makes it sound like you think I was making something up? When it comes Zambrano, there is no need to exaggerate.

In terms of Chipper, I never said he "drilled" Chipper. I said threw at him. In fact, he threw at him twice.

In terms of your comments related to Bobby Cox- The guy won 14 consecutive division titles. It has never been done before in baseball and it will never be done again in baseball or any other sport for that matter. That is the feat that I celebrate. He, as well as many others, have had off the field issues. >>

yes but the OP's question is biggest flakes. Someone with anger issues doesn't equal a flake. ManRam, Fidrych, Spaceman Lee, Rex Hudler, Turk Wendell, Hrabosky, etc are flakes. I guess a semantic issue on the definition we were taught of "flake"....but even in the urban dictionary I don't think we'll find the definition you're using. I suppose you could use flake to describe his bailing on the team after the incident you cite but I don't think that's what you're alluding to. You seem to be targeting his anger issues. Regardless, his deal with D.Lee was an argument. It may have escalated to physicality had no one intervened but that's not a fight. It was an argument....something that happens all the time with teammates who are trapped together for 8 spins. I'm not defending Z's Cub tenure, but there's a perspective issue when you're tagging Z without landing on Clemens, Cox, Brett Myers, Elijah Dukes, Milton Bradley, Charlie Lowell(Marlins' pitching prospect who recently physically abused his girlfriend), Shawn Chacon, and perhaps the biggest piece of garbage in recent vintage - Josh Lueke well before Zambrano in the annals of baseball's top jags. I mean there are guys who have routinely and intentionally thrown at the heads of batters, rapists, women beaters, and a couple of guys who have physically accosted senior citizens while on the job and you're taking another run at a guy who threw behind Chipper...and once threw a single punch at an instigating (Barrett pointed at the scoreboard during their argument) catcher....a catcher who incidentally previously sucker-punched Aj Pierzynski on the field during a game. I get that Larry is your hero and all, but I've never seen anyone so angry over a non-beaning. Good thing you aren't a Piazza fan, otherwise you may have felt compelled to phone in death-threats to Roger Clemens. Z's a jag, no doubt, but I think you need to turn a few pages before landing on him on any baseball player-jag list.
  • Options
    My "flake" tag on Zambrano was twofold. 1) Players get in fights, but it is somewhat uncommon to have so many occurances with teammates. That's flaky IMO. 2) Also, Throwing a temper tantrum and Quitting on your team because you gave up 4 HRs in a game is almost unheard of in MLB. I just don't think he respects the game. That's flaky IMO too. But, to your point there are many other examples of other folks to point to as well and I'm not saying Zambrano is the flakiest.

My opinion about Zambrano has little to do with the fact that he was throwing at Chipper, but its probably why I still remember that game like it was yesterday.

• Options
    I don't know if "flake" is a good word to use. Maybe "weirdo" or "eccentric" would be a better term.

I've always known "flake" to mean an undependable person.

For Carlos Z, maybe "sociopath" would be the correct descriptor.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Moe Drabowsky
    Don Stanhouse
    Jay Johnstone
    Rick Dempsey

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    From what I've read, Rube Waddell may be the king of them all.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always known "flake" to mean an undependable person. >>

Agreed but also agree with mcadam's take of Zambrano being flaky. He may have been tops in the Cubs' rotation during his prime but one never knew when he would have another outburst. Here's a good timeline up to 2010. Then you have the Chipper incident, threatening to retire, the Cubs suspending him without pay, and so on...

Yeah, he was flaky.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts