Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What board members may win a PSA Set Registry Award in 2013?

I know this will not come as a surprise to anyone, but I think that it is time for DPeck100 to win a Modern Misc. Set of the Year for his 1982 A Wrestling All Stars set. When you consider that the Hulk Hogan PSA 9 went for $2600 and $1800 in auctions the last few months and the Andre the Giant is a Pop 2 in PSA 9, his Ric Flair PSA 10, and all the other cards in either PSA 9 and PSA 10...his set is amazing. The money required to put together a comparable set is quite expensive and it is amazingly difficult (impossible) to put together a comparable set unless DPeck would release some of his duplicates (which he will not). I was a bit surprised to see him not win last year, but believe this should be the year that his tremendous wrestling all star set(s) be recognized as they were in SMR. Perhaps others can chime in here about some others that deserve mention. I hope to learn about other great potentially award winning sets put together by posters here from the forum. Who do you got for an award for 2013?
BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Totally concur with your take on DPeck. Not only is the set amazing but he's done more to popularize that set than perhaps anyone ever has with any one particular set (sorry fkw)
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I agree.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

I would be lying if I said I did not want to win.

I definitely have my fingers crossed and will be anxiously awaiting the email when it comes out.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    you should find out next week- they usually let you know a few weeks in advance and ask you not to let on until the official press release.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    My 71 set has reached stall speed, just cant find the cards I need in 9 or 10 to complete...maybe 2023 image EO
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My 71 set has reached stall speed, just cant find the cards I need in 9 or 10 to complete...maybe 2023 image EO >>

Likewise with my '48 Leaf Master Set. The one's that I'm missing are 1/1's. Gonna be tough to get to the 95% threshold although I have a decent lead over #2.
  • Options
    I hesitated on the Hacksaw Duggan and he pulled the trigger on that one and the Sheik El Kaissey.

Once I saw that I instantly snagged the Buddy Rose to build my lead back up by one card.

The Sheik El Kaissey had become a pop 2 in the same submission. I remember buying my copy for $40.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    1982 A is where DPeck truly shows his dominance..........
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    King your 1954 and 1955 Parkhurst sets are extremely impressive. I have only handled one of those cards but it easy to see just how tough they are. I think any card from that set in the EX-MT range is very tough.

I just checked your sets and it looks as if you only need a few to complete the second series. Fill those spots so you can be 100% complete.

• Options
    DPeck,
    I am only four cards away from having the 1955 Parkhurst set entirely graded. I will be able to finish that one off this year for sure. I have the cards but just looking for a few more cards that could grade higher than the ones sitting in a card saver. I do have another raw 1955 set coming in which I am excited about. You never know though until they are in hand.

As for my 1954 Parkhurst wrestling set, I do think it is creeping into the territory of being an award winning set. It will probably not be this year but my hopes that it eventually will be, or the master set of the 1954 Parkhurst set with all the Lucky Premium backs in it once I finish that one off. The issues that I can tell which may cause pause to give this set an award is that my GPA is just 6.35 which does not sound impressive. On the other hand, if you took all the cards graded to date the best GPA of a set would be 7.02. Of course this does reveal that there is room for improvement but when you are getting this close to all time status to such a condition sensitive set, I am on to something. As you know I have bought countless Parkhurst sets over the years and now it seems the price is definitely spiking to buy them as there have been nice sales of some of the key cards graded. It will be more of a challenge for me to improve my set with the increase in competition, but anyone going for this set has a lot of ground to cover to reach the heights that I am at right now. I do not suspect there will be a huge find of raw material for these cards out there and if there was the issues with centering, wax staining, etc and all the issues with them would still be present.
  • Options
    Anyone hoping for poppage before May 31st for a set registry badge? I have had a bunch of my 1973s at PSA for a calendar month and I am hoping to get poppage so I could get a badge for the 1973 Wrestling Annual cards. At this point I am skeptical if I will make the deadline.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone hoping for poppage before May 31st for a set registry badge? I have had a bunch of my 1973s at PSA for a calendar month and I am hoping to get poppage so I could get a badge for the 1973 Wrestling Annual cards. At this point I am skeptical if I will make the deadline. >>

I'm also waiting, but I don't think I'll make it either. Loggage on Apr 1 for a 45 business day order. If I get poppage, I should ease by the current #1 in the set.
  • Options
    Hope you get your poppage, pretty much just a week left for you to pass the one set. Good luck!
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    bbuckner should win for his 1973 Topps Baseball set...toppled the almighty Spence.
  • Options
    I feel great when I have any trading card that is ranked higher than what is in the Spence collection. The time is near and I think I am going to run out of time with poppage and an award for 2013 for one of my sets. I sent in a few oddball cards and I am sure that did not enhance my chances of quick poppage. Good luck to everyone who has sets near or at the top!
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I dare say that those who follow the wrestling card threads here, and appreciate them, still have no real grasp of how incredible the sets put together by DPECK and Wrestling Card King are. Believe me when I say that the scarcity and condition sensitivity of these sets make them incredibly difficult in the conditions these collectors already have them. I am not sure what the strict criteria is for a set to win an award, but both of these gentleman deserve one.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Thanks Greg!

• Options
    I somehow missed the comments made by Greg. I know why though, as I was off to coach my nephew in the state wrestling championships for 8 years old and under image I do appreciate the compliment and the only thing I can do is to continue to advance my sets and hope that others try to do the same. I think when others make the attempt to complete the same sets, then they will realize how tough they really are. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Anyone know when the badges come out? I should be getting close to 20 this year for 2013 and wonder when they will be on my sets when I am in my registry......
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Congrats David!

BEST MODERN MISC SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR (1970 TO DATE) - dpeck100 - 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A

You've gotta head to the National now!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Well deserved, better a tad late than never.....awesome!!!
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Extremely well deserved. Maybe the most knowledgeable person about a single set I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

I was really excited when I got the email from PSA.

My #1 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A set has some really cool cards in it and I have not had an upgrade to the set in nearly a year and a half.

Congratulations to all of the other winners and I feel fortunate to be amongst them.

• Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Congrats David. Your love for the hobby and sport is #1. I always enjoy your posts and updates.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Well deserved, David. Congratulations!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! That's awesome!
  • Options
    I should get an award for "most obvious prediction" to come true, the date stamp on the first post of this thread proves it!
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Dave! image
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Dave, Great Set !

Congrats to all the 2013 PSA Set Registry Award Winners

Looking forward to Chicago

Logan
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Congrats to David and all the other winners this year!

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats David!

BEST MODERN MISC SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR (1970 TO DATE) - dpeck100 - 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A

You've gotta head to the National now! >>

We just booked our travel plans and will be heading to Chicago for the National!

• Options
    I think the cards look great!!!

• Options
    Make sure your wife thanks Andre and Hogan for the publicity!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats DPeck, but lets not forget Logan (Kingnascar) who also won "best overall specialty set of the year" which is on Pg 140 of the new SMR. Congrats to you Logan!!!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Of course not! He has won a bunch of awards.

Give me a few minutes and I will print a copy and scan his page in.

• Options
    Congratulations King Nascar!

• Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kudos Bobby and David.
    That is the first I have seen of my award printed in SMR. It looks great.
    I will have to pickup a couple of extra copies.

Less than 2 weeks till the National. I can hardly wait.
    Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Logan
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Congrats DPeck and everyone else who won!