Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Poll: What's the longest you've worked to complete a set?

image inspired by some recent comments about sets that were begun and then quickly abandoned.

I started one two years ago, still looking for the final piece.

One of our forumite liteside buddies told me he spent 50 years completing a set!
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll tell you when I'm doneimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Not done yet, but I crossed the 20 year threshold. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have collected ancient coins since I was about 14-15 years old, so I am well past the 20 year mark.

I hope that I never reach the point that I feel like I have every coin I want of that the theme I am working on is "complete."

(edited to add the following empty thoughts):

I don't really like sets or collections that have a clearly defined end point. To me having a finite number of coins that are pre-defined would feel limiting and (with no offense directed at or intended to those who collect that way) rather boring. Knowing that one can do additional research, study references and examine sales lists and in so doing expand the original boundary of a collection is rewarding in many ways. As your knowledge expands so does your collection, it becomes this almost living thing that you seek to grow and nurture. In return for the effort expended, the collector is provided an education in not only numismatics, but also history, geography, art and other areas. He or she is exposed to people, places, things and ideas that they might have never otherwise know existed. This makes the world in which they live a richer and more varied place and them a more fully informed person.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Aethelred, there must be some sets in the anncient world that you've worked on. What about the popular Twelve Ceasars set? or a Roman type set?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aethelred, there must be some sets in the anncient world that you've worked on. What about the popular Twelve Ceasars set? or a Roman type set? >>

I collect coins that relate in one way or another to the Bible or Jewish and Christian history during the "Biblical Period." I define that period as ending with the Bar Kochba revolt and with a few exceptions don't allow coins in the collection that post-date the revolt. I know that even such a wide open theme as that is finite, but I don't think of it is "set" terms.

Of course that is not to say that I haven't done sets. I have in the past and have had a good time with them, but I don't recall ever doing an ancient set. Having said that, I guess there are sets within my Biblical collection, like the Roman Emperors during my period of interest or perhaps the Roman Prefects of Judaea, the Seven Churches of Revelation or cities visited by Paul on his Journeys. It is all in how you look at it and until now I suppose I have not looked at it in that way.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope that I never reach the point that I feel like I have every coin I want of that the theme I am working on is "complete."

(edited to add the following empty thoughts):

I don't really like sets or collections that have a clearly defined end point. To me having a finite number of coins that are pre-defined would feel limiting and (with no offense directed at or intended to those who collect that way) rather boring. Knowing that one can do additional research, study references and examine sales lists and in so doing expand the original boundary of a collection is rewarding in many ways. As your knowledge expands so does your collection, it becomes this almost living thing that you seek to grow and nurture. In return for the effort expended, the collector is provided an education in not only numismatics, but also history, geography, art and other areas. He or she is exposed to people, places, things and ideas that they might have never otherwise know existed. This makes the world in which they live a richer and more varied place and them a more fully informed person. >>

This!

I am going on 15 years myself, but most of mine are R7 or above. And some are still being discovered!
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been much of a "gotta catch 'em all" set-builder. For the most part, the "sets" I have are all near-complete, with the key dates missing. Even my Australian set has most of the rarities missing.

I guess I lack motivation. I simply don't see the point of paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to buy a coin when I already have fifty more coins that are almost exactly the same sitting in my album. If I have hundreds or thousands of dollars to spend on coins, I'd rather buy things that are completely different to coins I already own.

So, for me, it was a toss-up between voting "0" and voting "20-50 years". In the end I voted "0".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
    OK well I don't plan to stop collecting just because a set is complete. Right now I'm working on Belize and Israeli type sets. I recently completed a set of Central African States essai.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's been 6 years so far and doubt ill actually finish one any time soon.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Type set of Swedish plate money from the 18th century - 15 years now and only missing the 1/2 Daler.

Took about a decade to complete the Siberian type set, the Polushka or 1/4 Kopek was very difficult to find in collectable grade.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The term set always conjures up images of the whitman blue "penny" albums a lot of us started with years ago and I'm not sure it works as well with a lot of non-modern darkside areas. A couple of long term, serious interests (25 years +) are Roman folles of RIC 6 (AD 293- 312 or so) and baroque papal, so these will never be complete altho I suppose I could cobble together a couple of "sets:" e.g., one of each mint that issued folles, all the rulers of the period, a silver papal denomination set, etc altho these were never my intent or focus.

That being said, I am also slowly putting together a "set" of Parthian and bactrian kings, a set of papal medals commemorating the jubilee/holy years since 1300 (missing 2), a set of papal silver annual medals from 1800 to date (missing about 20), and a "medal of each popel" set from 1417 (the typical start date of contemporary medals coinciding with the Mazzio catalogue). The last of these has already been "complete" twice, only to only to become incomplete with JP II's death in 2005 and Benedict's resignation recently. I consider the set now incomplete, again, until I can secure a medal of the new pope.

edited to add: As indicated in my tag line, I also collect NBNs from a couple of areas and aggressively have been putting together a "set" of all the small sized note printing varities. My Evansville set of 26 notes took less t,han 10 years to complete once I focussed on it. It may well be the only set I've ever completed (that stayed completed that is, LOL) My STL set of 70 varieties, more or less, has been going strong for 15 years and is still missing 3 notes even after buying out the collection of another collector (whose different, but still valid, definition of "complete" had 44 varieties); I've only added 3 notes to it in the last 6 or 7 years.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Being a theme collector, I've never tried to complete a set.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never completed a set :'(
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't have the patience to complete a set of any size. I ended up refocussing to provide an eclectic collection when I had serious problems adding to the previous denomination collections in a suitable condition. One big bonus with this is that if the design is different, I will make a space for it, and if I really like it I have an emergency category for the collection which is 'too nice to sell'. This allows me to keep multiple examples of the same basic type but with minor variations, which defeats the idea of minimising duplication.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly its not a World Coin set its a US set. Barber Dimes in XF-AU with great eye appeal. Three to go and already have the keys.
    Awesome, good luck to those of you who are so close and still in progress!

STLNATS, thanks for your honest and informative post. Sounds like you have quite a few intriguing sets!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few back burner sets, that, while I have not totally abandoned them, they are not my main focus at the time. This makes it take longer. I still collect Canadian halves for instance but have not searched for any in a while. I collect Newfoundland and Philippine coins, however I put them aside sometimes for years before I search again.. Some of the supposedly common coins are almost impossible to find - at least at a price that I feel comfortable paying. I am not about to give up, even though I have been collecting some of them for over 40 years. They aren't going anywhere at the present time. Who knows, maybe I'll never complete them.

Bob
    Bob,

I have a set of British pennies like that. Raw and lower grade. I used to love pulling them from junk boxes, hunting for my missing dates. I loved the satiny feel and the hunt. Never completed, not even halfway (um, it's an old country) but I haven't worked on it for over 10 years. Like you said, I may never complete it but that's OK image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose I have always had the thought that my sets are just a work in progress and are really not complete even if all the dates in the set are accounted for.

I suspect some will suggest this does not make sense- and it may not.

I see it as more of a mind set and always open to either upgrading or adding a variety or two... or three.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I haven't completed my set of morgans yet, and it's going on 10 years.
    The 50-year set mentioned in my OP was Morgans! imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I voted 10 to 20, but it's all relevant. I have completed two sets so far. One was the British 20th century type set, in choice/gem unc, and in two out of print Whitman albums. The first was from farthing to sixpence and the second was from shilling to crown. The downside was that these albums started with Edward VII and 1902 instead of 1901, but as it happens, at the same time, I also had a choice mint state 1901 set, that was housed in a cardboard page, and which I bought already complete, but couldn't resist upgrading two of its coins.

The second set that I have completed and could even add it to the registry, is the Ionian islands under British administration. It's not a big set, but it's incredibly tough in choice mint state and I've been lucky enough to combine mine with someone else's collection, who sold it and whose set was built over a much longer period including some truly impossible coins.

A third set of US commems had been started but never completed. I have also built and held a gold type US set in MS62-66, both Liberty and Indian, common dates, without the $3 or the Stellas of course. At some point, I sold those too.

I generally like buying out of print albums and completing them with choice mint state coins, instead of lower grades which is the norm. As such, I regret not keeping a Swiss 1850-1970 Dansco type set that I had purchased from LM. Clearly, there were pricey gem coins that I couldn't have laying around raw, especially since all these were side projects for me. But even if I had, I'd still have holes in it, for there were some tough ones included.

The last album-set that triggered my imagination, and on some coins that I have played a bit with in the past, was a Japanese Dansco type set album, the album itself a collectable. worth $150-$200. I have consulted a collector of Japanese coins of the forum and we both concluded that the item would sell near $800-$1000. It contained 55 out of the 74 coins, including 3 yens, in unc or aunc, (one of which chopmarked), 50 sens etc, plus a lot of other coins, but there was no image. The lowest grade was VF and we assumed with the other member that these must have been the tin coins and other Japanese issues that have a very low cat value, but are impossible to find in decent condition. The auction was in Australia, and I asked in advance the cost of shipping which would have been around $85.

JAPAN, partial type set in Danso Deluxe album, includes silver yen year 18 (1885) (KM.Y.A25.2); year 29 (1896) this with gin mark (KM.Y.A.28a.5), and another year 30 (1897) (KM.Y.A25.3); year 3 (1914) (KM.Y38); silver fifty sen year 33 (1900) (KM.Y25) another year 42 (1909) (KM.Y31); silver twenty sen years 31, 42; ten sen year 9 (1876) (KM.Y23), year 44; silver 1000 yen 1964; others mostly base metal (44). Silver yen extremely fine - uncirculated, others mostly very fine - uncirculated, one holed. (55)

I've decided to drop it, especially since my finances were in very bad shape, now just slightly better. Nevertheless, it goes on the "should have bought it list", when I saw that it only sold for $450. image

All said, I tend to agree with Aethelred.

Also, personally, I simply cannot dedicate myself in one set, one country. Clearly, I mainly collect post 1828 Greek coins, that could be broken down in several sets if one wants to, and some do. For the time being I've opted for a type set in gem or in the best available condition, avoiding however insanely priced rarities (and there are way too many), preferring instead to buy the same common date a second time sometimes, just because the toning or other characteristics are different. That and my numismatic library, half of which concerns Greek numismatics and the other half several other countries' coins are my main project. But like I said: life is full of things to do, and even coins to play with. I do not have the self discipline, to either become a scholar or an expert in moderrn Greek numismatics, and I get bored very easily, which is the reason why I enjoy other countries, or why I stop collecting all together for periods, the latter also directly related to my financial ability. After all the collection is there and always ready to take off were we left at.

D
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

<< <i>I also had a choice mint state 1901 set >>

I bet LM drooled all over this image

<< <i>The second set that I have completed and could even add it to the registry, is the Ionian islands under British administration. >>

I would LOVE to see pics of this! Wow. Lucky indeed.

<< <i>… the tin coins and other Japanese issues that have a very low cat value, but are impossible to find in decent condition. >>

And even if you manage to find a BU, you can't get a fair price because buyers will quote the low cat value. Perfect example of the disconnect between cats and reality.

<< <i>… life is full of things to do, and even coins to play with. I do not have the self discipline, to either become a scholar or an expert >>

You are very humble to make a statement like that, given your wealth of knowledge and experiences in the hobby. It's refreshing!

<< <i>… or why I stop collecting all together for periods … After all the collection is there and always ready to take off were we left at. >>

I totally agree! This is the best perk of the hobby.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Here's another interesting question: how long did it take you to decide what you wanted to collect?

Measured in time or in money spent...
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives

<< <i>Here's another interesting question: how long did it take you to decide what you wanted to collect? Measured in time or in money spent... >>

Changes / has changed over the years. I knew I wanted to collect darkside from Day 1, but called it something else at the time image

It's usually fast for me and before any money has been spent. I see something in the catalog, or at a show, or on the forum even - and I say "that's the next goal" ... then I start hunting and spending.

What interests me are the two dichotomies of collectors: (1) those who seem to abandon sets or care nothing for sets in general; and (2) those who abide by sets to the extent that they'll spend 50+ years painstakingly trying to complete it - and if PCGS decides to alter the set parameters halfway through, they need a coronary bypass!

I don't get that emotional, I believe I fall somewhere in the middle. I've put sets on hold - like Dimitri - not necessarily abandoned them, but I've also finished some and at any given moment I have 4-5 going on.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• weresteveweresteve Posts: 1,224
    I don't think that I will ever have a truly complete set even if all of the holes are filled due to the process of upgrading or adding new varieties to my many accumulations.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I won't be done till I sell it. Always upgrading.

1975 to the present, 38 years.

U.S./ Philippine Islands complete date set with proofs.

only two complete sets known in all UNC. Mine one coin short (AU58)

Krueger
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I will complete my set, but was told that when the last coin hits my hand I will suffer the consequences.image

On a lighter note, I will be 345 years old! So...image
    What are you collecting that takes 345 years?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I am being facetious. I am collecting aluminum pieces and not just coinage. I also collect private token issues which there are thousands.
    Oh image I thought perhaps you were predicting the end of a nation image as if to say, "my type set will be complete when __ country issues their last coin, at which point I'll be 345 years old."

Obviously there was too much poppy in my bagel that day image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's another interesting question: how long did it take you to decide what you wanted to collect?

Measured in time or in money spent... >>

Excellent question.

Because of the way I see my collection (Greek coins 1828-2000), I'm trying to create a comprehensible guide of the economic history of the country during this period, mostly through a mint state type set of coins. But banknotes are an almost inevitable part, if the goal is indeed the economic history, the monetary policies etc. So every time I got mixed with banknotes, generally speaking it was a disaster. I don't have the knowledge, time, money or experience to follow both hobbies. And yet, the disease is still there, I can feel it every time I come across a nice quality bunch of usually unc banknotes. I have recently purchased such a note on the internet (from 1955), graded PMG 66 PPQ, which is practically as best as it gets. The 66 is similar to coins, and the PPQ (EPQ for PCGS or vice versa) means that the note has never been messed with, even at acceptable levels, such as light ironing etc. A grade of AU58 EPQ for example, means that it is a note straight out of a bundle that has been slightly bent in the middle that made it lose its unc status but nothing else. An MS63 note without the PPQ might have been much more messed with than the previous example.

Anyway, there's been several times that I tried to incorporate notes in my collection. This late purchase illustrated my latest try, but the note got lost in the PO. I've had literally several hundreds of transactions with the sender,both ways, and nothing has ever been lost in a decade except for this note, that hadn't been sent registered. As a result, superstitious as I am, I took it as a sign that fate doesn't want me to collect banknotes, even when there's a way to avoid buying overgraded notes. For now at least, I'm off.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3