Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay sellers sell me N.Wales 4 stars & 1794 cent starred reverse for almost nothing - look at th

In the last month I've purchased a Washington North Wales - 4 stars on reverse and a 1794 Flowing Hair Cent with Starred reverse. I bought them on eBay paid less than $1,000 for both.
The North Wales with a 4 star reverse graded VF 20 with PCGS. The 1794 starred reverse is on it's way to PCGS. Two months ago I bought an American Plantation token with sideways 4 in great shape (now at PCGS) and a 1797 Flowing Hair S-138, Rev. of 97 with stems PCGS graded XF 45. I bought both on eBay for a total of less than $500.00

I love the wind-fall, but what are they thinking?

[URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/mimild1/media/North Wales and Large Cent Starred/Wales4star_zpsb21b1c06.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/mimild1/media/North Wales and Large Cent Starred/1794Starred_zpsea5bdd57.jpg.html]image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/mimild1/media/1797 Draped Bust/RSCN1339_zps3cea1895.jpg.html]
image[/URL]
[URL=http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/mimild1/media/North Wales and Large Cent Starred/DSCN1312-Version2_zps4fcc2c13.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Always more to know!

Comments

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    From the same seller? The S-138 sounds like a great one. Post some pics. Wouldn't mind seeing that plantation token either. As far as the 1794 you have posted, I am not really making out the stars. Way to go on the North Wales token. Wouldn't mind having that one...
  • Options
    CoinNewBeeCoinNewBee Posts: 159 ✭✭✭
    Well stupid me, I was cleaning out my coin photo file and deleted the 1797 draped bust file. I only have a partial of the obi. & rev, but I'll post what I have. I've sent that to Stack's for the ANA Aug. auction. That same happy figures mistake that deleted the 1797 did the same to the Am. Plantation, but when I called PCGS to ask about the status of the grade they said its almost done. When I get it back I'll post again and show it. I must admit I'm dying to see what it graded, it looked darn good to me.
    All different sellers. The North Wales and Am. Plantation were posted on non-coin eBay sites a part of other collections. The N. Wales was in a lot of buttons for sale. How's that!

Always more to know!
  • Options
    I am not really making out the stars. Text

The stars are visible between the dentals from about 7 o'clock around to about 10 o'clock around the rim. Some are very distinct.

Always more to know!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a N. Wales 4 stars on eBay in the last month or two. The pictures were poor, I thought it was a low grade piece, and it still brought a lot more than $1000: eBay link. Nicely done on yours!
  • Options
    About a year ago I found a Major Gen. Zachary Taylor Congressional Medal, Julian MI-24 the 90mm size listed as a paper weight. Sorry no photos of it but it was in great condition.
    There's a lot of money to be made in this eBay wild west.

Always more to know!
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a N. Wales 4 stars on eBay in the last month or two. The pictures were poor, I thought it was a low grade piece, and it still brought a lot more than $1000: eBay link. Nicely done on yours! >>

I'm not sure what's going on here, but the Ebay item you linked and which evidently sold for $4,858.81 appears to be the same exact piece that the OP posted.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw a N. Wales 4 stars on eBay in the last month or two. The pictures were poor, I thought it was a low grade piece, and it still brought a lot more than $1000: eBay link. Nicely done on yours! >>

I'm not sure what's going on here, but the Ebay item you linked and which evidently sold for $4,858.81 appears to be the same exact piece that the OP posted. >>

What he said
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure what's going on here, but the Ebay item you linked and which evidently sold for $4,858.81 appears to be the same exact piece that the OP posted. >>

Hm. Good point. I assumed they were different pieces based on the OP's comments, and I didn't match the pictures before posting the link. Now I'm confused also!

(I suspect that this was still a good buy at $5,000... just not as good a buy as if it was under $1,000...)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not sure what's going on here, but the Ebay item you linked and which evidently sold for $4,858.81 appears to be the same exact piece that the OP posted. >>

Hm. Good point. I assumed they were different pieces based on the OP's comments, and I didn't match the pictures before posting the link. Now I'm confused also! >>

I'm sure there is a logical explanation for this. Or not.
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite is the guy asking a question at the bottom of the ebay auction and offering 60 quid for buy-it-now.
    Maybe that was OP.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    an update on this would be nice

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I haven't cherrypicked anything off eBay in about 2 years. Bone dry. Large cents must be the very toughest numismatic category to pick, too. There is a whole hoard of EAC guys just sitting there waiting for an unrecognized variety to be listed, even at 4 o'clock in the morning. Good ones last like 30 seconds. That 1797 cent would have 50 bidders if it were listed as a true auction. Did the OP gets these picks from an international eBay site, like the UK, for example?

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that picture is indeed an S-48, it is a candidate for the worst known example.
    It will be interesting to see what PCGS thought of it. I have seen Gallery mint copies of chain cents purposely worn and damaged to appear genuine. Same could be true of their starred reverse.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    okracerokracer Posts: 436

Bumped for:

I also would like to see an UPDATE on these coins!!!

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options

<< <i>Bumped for:

I also would like to see an UPDATE on these coins!!! >>

I wouldn't hold your breath. The OP announced his score on the North Wales which a simple Ebay search revealed was not purchased at the price he claimed.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so many threads

so little closure imageimageimageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file