Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Portland ANA show: 2015

The Portland show runs from March 5-7 at the Oregon Convention Center. The Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association and Willamette Coin Club were selected as host clubs. It is part of the ANA's roadshow. Anybody going?
Taylor
Also known as coinman101---
I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck yah - wouldn't miss it! Is the room block still available?? image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    I expect to be there.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there, without fail. Cool city (only been there twice I think). Hoping Doug Winter will make restaurant recommendations.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was my first big show in 2009 and will make plans for it when it gets back up this way.
    Highlight of the show was opening the mint box with this with the PCGS rep.

Maybe the Anv. Pan Pacific the next time.
  • Options
    I am a YN, and having no collectors in my family, and living in CA, I will have to fly there alone, which I dont think I can afford.
    Taylor
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    I'm going to try... it would be my first ANA show.
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    My hometown!!!!!!
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    I was happy when they announced Portland got the show again, and I will definitely be there.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exciting huh?

I'm in.

• Options

<< <i>I am a YN, and having no collectors in my family, and living in CA, I will have to fly there alone, which I dont think I can afford.
    Taylor >>

Taylor, it's two years away...fortunes can sometimes change overnight, let alone in two years.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am a YN, and having no collectors in my family, and living in CA, I will have to fly there alone, which I dont think I can afford.
    Taylor >>

Taylor, it's two years away...fortunes can sometimes change overnight, let alone in two years.

- Ian >>

That's absolutely correct. Ian and I know that although we think we can, nobody knows what'll happen next month let alone two years from now.

Besides, Portland is an inexpensive city to fly to from the Bay Area. When two LCC's compete on the same short route you will find great deals on airfares. You can also get from the airport to the show venue by light rail which will save lots of money.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Are we really talking March 2015? If Kramer and Elaine are still single in 50 years, they are going to get hitched. I'm not sure what else needs to be planned that far out.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I will most certainly be at the Portland Ana Show in 2015. My nights will be spent in my own bed. image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the 2009 show and plan to attend the next one...haven't made reservations yet though.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will see. that would be great to see that part of the country.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Why do they keep having an ANA convention in Portland when there are so many other better cities on the West coast in which to have it. San Diego, for example. image
    Matt
  • Options
    Or Seattle for instance image
  • Options
    Or San Francisco. image
    Taylor
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seattle has a nice convention center. It's been way too long.
  • Options

<< <i>Why do they keep having an ANA convention in Portland when there are so many other better cities on the West coast in which to have it. San Diego, for example. image >>

I have asked ANA board members directly about San Diego and they gave their reasons although I don't necessarily agree with them. They gave similar reasons when asked about Seattle.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Or San Francisco. image
    Taylor >>

I've heard rumors about San Francisco although they are exactly that, rumors. The ANA in 2005 was in San Francisco. The opinions regarding that show are very polarized to this day.
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    Or San Jose for that matter locations proably determined based on the cost of convention center rate. Sacramento Ana the second day it was like a ghost town on the floor no collectors at all.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, what's the knock on Seattle??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GregLGregL Posts: 470

<< <i>Why do they keep having an ANA convention in Portland when there are so many other better cities on the West coast in which to have it. San Diego, for example. image[/q

Taxes.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options

<< <i>Or San Francisco. image
    Taylor >>

Taxes and the ANA is too small of a convention for the city to be interested in.

Greg
    Greg Lyon, ANA Board of Governors 2011-2017 -- The views represented here are my own personal opinions and do not represent those of the American Numismatic Association.
  • Options

<< <i>Seattle has a nice convention center. It's been way too long. >>

We've looked into Seattle and the convention center does not consider us to be a large enough convention.

Greg
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Count me in; I'm going.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    In considering sites for conventions, there are several MAJOR factors which come into play... from an ANA perspective these include if there are sales taxes in the state / city and the availability of direct flights on mainline (non-regional jet) aircraft.

On the convention center side, they want to know if we will fill enough hotel rooms to make the convention center rental worthwhile. Realize that convention centers are usually break-even affairs. The real economic gain to a city is through hotel bookings, restaurants, etc. While the ANA summer convention has attendance over 10,000 and spring shows have several thousand attendees, this is not considered a major convention -- especially in larger cities. Cities like Seattle, New York and Boston don't consider us to be large enough in many cases in terms of hotel nights we can book.

We continue to look for other options which provide a mixture of geographical diversity, agreeable tax codes, airline flights and appeal to membership to attend.

Feel free to let me know if there are any specific questions you have.

Thanks,
    Greg
  • Options
    So what's the short list of "B" level cities the ANA is currently looking at?
  • Options

<< <i>So what's the short list of "B" level cities the ANA is currently looking at? >>

Well, our schedule through 2016 is set:

2013 - New Orleans / Rosemont (ick)
    2014 - Atlanta / Rosemont (double ick)
    2015 - Portland / Rosemont (triple ick)
    2016 - Dallas / Anaheim

We are always open to new ideas... to get an idea of what our starting point list is, look at ICTA's sales tax list by state. There are several cities which there is interest in, but only if we can get tax exemptions, including Minneapolis and Washington DC.

Baltimore is pretty much out due to the Whitman shows and Florida is hard due to the FUN shows.

That's what I can tell ya as a starting point...

Greg
  • Options
    How much would it cost the ANA to get out of their contract with the Stephens Convention Center? I'm sure many dealers including myself wouldn't mind coughing up a few dollars to not go an ANA show in Rosemont.
  • Options

<< <i>How much would it cost the ANA to get out of their contract with the Stephens Convention Center? I'm sure many dealers including myself wouldn't mind coughing up a few dollars to not go an ANA show in Rosemont. >>

We've looked into options. It's not nearly that simple. While you can get out of a contract, you then have the issue of finding a new venue. Typically conventions the size of ANA need to be booked 3 years or more in advance.

Greg
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did the two years go?????

Only 16 days away! I can't hit the show until Saturday morning, but I plan on doing some damage. Can't wait!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where did the two years go?????

Only 16 days away! I can't hit the show until Saturday morning, but I plan on doing some damage. Can't wait!

Dave >>

Indeed time just keeps passing.
    I'd recommend showing up Thurs or Fri....Sat is the last day so it might get iffy...
  • Options
    I might stop in on Wednesday, but I will be there for sure on Thursday and Friday. There are so many coin friends, and coin dealers, that I have not seen in many years. Contact table for me will be Sheridan Downey's table. Sheridan always has the best Bust Half Dollars.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Well, our schedule through 2016 is set:

2013 - New Orleans / Rosemont (ick)
    2014 - Atlanta / Rosemont (double ick)
    2015 - Portland / Rosemont (triple ick)
    2016 - Dallas / Anaheim

Greg >>

By 'ick' you mean to be negative on the Rosemont location? image If so, why, I liked it there the past two years and enjoyed the show. Major airport right there to everywhere, big hall, lotsa food choices and hotels to walk to, the L into town if you want. What is not to like about Rosemont? Portland, although my native home, does not match in direct airport access (many will need two flights to get there), quick too and from the airport (the Max is slow.......), food choices and hotels nearby, for what a convention should be about, Rosemont has it all. Not quite the Moscone center and surroundings of downtown SF which would be the best choice, but still....

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I have a table there. Stop by and say hi.

By the way -- this is the most forward thinking post I have ever seen on these boards. Wow -- 2 years before the show begins?!
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two years on and I'm still in.
    Friday/Saturday
    Thursday looking probable as of today.
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there, table #336 - really looking forward to it. The 2009 Portland ANA show as fantastic, so hoping this will be at least as good.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be there -- Table 135 -- "Bradley's Coins". With buddy Bob White from Portland.

I will have old holders, full 7070 and slabbed Type, esoteric old PCGS and NGC stuff, and a T-shirt for Lakesammman. Anyone else needing a Championship Golf T -- you need to PM me!

Drunner
    (Doily Slut)
  • Options
    Weather forecast for Portland during the entire coin show is NO RAIN, and around 60 degrees sunny.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the trip, the opportunity to see family and friends, and play with coins so doesn't get much better then that. Table #541 across form the ANA Museum. Hope you will stop by, take a look and say hi.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are looking forward to seeing some familiar faces, and also meeting some new people at the show. We will be at Table #341, please stop by and say hello.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    I love it when the big coin shows come to Oregon! I'll be there.
    EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See you there everyone.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to visiting Portland again.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Please stop by my table and say hello.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    I'll be there with no table.
  • Options
    What is really sad is that I live in the Portland area and haven't seen any advance publicity concerning the event. Even at a local B&M there were no flyers posted. I'm pretty low key these days about collecting, so if it wasn't for this board I probably wouldn't even know about it. The last event in 2009 was great.
    I live in my own world. But it's OK, they know me there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file