Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: an Anglo-Saxon penny (non-portrait Aethelstan)

I saw this piece while I was on vacation, and of all people it was Zohar who convinced me to buy it (admittedly, I didn't need much convincing image ).

From the dealer's web site:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelstan. 924-939. AR Penny (24mm, 1.46 g, 11h). Circumscription Cross type (BMC v). London mint; Eilafr, moneyer. + ÆÐELSTAN REX TOT BRIT, small cross pattée / + ELLA F MONETA LVND CIVITT, small cross pattée. Blunt, Aethelstan 185 (same dies as illustration); SCBI 1 (Fitzwilliam), 574; BMC –; North 672; SCBC 1093. Near EF, toned, minor die flaws. Well struck on a broad flan. Rare for London mint.

When this coin arrived, it was in a Kointain capsule with the coin wrapped in a tissue inside. Upon unwrapping, I examine the coin and it is better than the image when held in hand. By US standards, it looks like a true slider (AU58 -> AU63/MS63) with nice surfaces, strike, patina and overall eye appeal. I am beside myself with joy.

For those who are familiar with the series, this is not your garden variety Anglo-Saxon hoard penny (not Aethelred II the Unready, Cnut or Edward the Confessor). It is, in fact, a better monarch of the middle Anglo-Saxon period (tougher than an Edward the Elder S-1087).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, I really like those early simpler designs.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad you did it. Very appealing subtle design. Very cool.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Quit TEMPTING ME!!!!! image

Actually, your posts reminds me that my wife and I are in the middle of watching David Starkey's Monarchy series on Netflix.........need to finish this weekend. I think we left off with Stephen.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quit TEMPTING ME!!!!! image

Actually, your posts reminds me that my wife and I are in the middle of watching David Starkey's Monarchy series on Netflix.........need to finish this weekend. I think we left off with Stephen. >>

The British coins of that period tend (Stephen) to be of poor quality, IIRC. And, the country was beset by political turmoil. Again, IIRC.

As far as tempting you is concerned... Sorry! But these coins (Anglo-Saxon) move me, and I'm moved to share.

EVP

• Options
    Lately I decided that I would cease building sets and just focus on acquiring superb pieces within my areas of collecting interest. But, truth is, I don't think I've ever 100% shaken the fever of building sets.

I'm thinking of putting together a type set of Anglo-Saxon pennies, but many of them are not really affordable (unless it's the one coin purchase of the year for me). So, this is what I have in mind: Alfred the Great (Kings of Wessex) to Harold II (Kings of all England), portrait and non-portrait types, minimum grade of aEF.

I'll also include really nice sceattas, Viking pennies and issues from other kingdoms (e.g., Offa) as they become available.

Thoughts?

EVP

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have been casually looking for a Tower Pound from King Offa, 757 AD for about a year. Over the past few days some threads have rekindled that flame and now I'm really eager to find a high-quality example. If you have a source, or could point me in some directions, I'd be very grateful! image

I think your set(s) sound intriguing and I can't wait to see the Viking pennies!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Lochness:

I haven't heard of what you want, so I googled and found this: Linky-poo

EVP

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Spectacular new penny, EVP.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin!

I know very little about the English kings back then.
    The coin was interesting enough that I did look up Æthelstan.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't heard of what you want, ... >>

Really?!? But, you said "and issues from other kingdoms (e.g., Offa)"

I thought for sure you'd know about the tower pound since you know Offa. So what types did you have in mind?

Well at least the Google search turned up something related! Thanks for the linky-poo image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Lochness,

I checked the Spink book this morning, and it doesn't list any coin as "tower pound". From googling, I see that as a term of measurement as opposed to a specific coin that one can collect.

What do you think it is?

EVP

• Options
    Well, I first heard the term last March (wish I could remember where) and got this off Wikipedia:

The tower pound, a.k.a. King Offa’s pound (Mercia, 757 to 796 AD) was based on the weight of 120 Arabic silver dirhams. It was last used throughout the Hanseatic League (an alliance of trading cities and their merchant guilds that dominated the coast of Northern Europe, from the Baltic to the North Sea, during the 13th–17th centuries).

Since the British Pound is a coin, I made the assumption they were describing a coin and not a measurement of weight. Did you try searching for "King Offa pound?" I would search but I only can find my Seaby book of English types. Spink is AWOL.
    What coins of King Offa did you have in mind, when you initially posted?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    King Offa issued pieces in gold and silver. His main contribution to Anglo-Saxon coinage was to standardize the silver penny in weight and size to be like the Carolingian denier. His non-portrait pennies in EF-ish grade are within my budget. His portrait pennies are less within my budget. image

EVP

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would be a shame to even holder such an beautiful piece - I bet it feels fantastic in hand.
  • Options

<< <i>Would be a shame to even holder such an beautiful piece - I bet it feels fantastic in hand. >>

Struck on a broad flan, making it bigger (diameter) than a US dime. But, it's very thin and gives off a feeling of being fragile. Rather than resting it in my palm, I should get a jeweler's tray.

EVP

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Super cool! I'm no where near that level but I aspire to be.
  • Options

<< <i>Super cool! I'm no where near that level but I aspire to be. >>

Thanks. Not sure what your budget is like, but I routinely scour a select few dealer sites. If you see something you like, PM me and I can offer you my non-professional opinion. There are others here who are much more knowledgeable than I am.

EVP

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    In my mind there is something magical about these Anglo-Saxon coins.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coin, definitely history in your hands.