Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Posting (attaching) pictures

Why won't it put the files (pictures) that i upload to the attachments for viewing

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to upload pics from your computer to a hosting service such as photobucket.com and then copy the IMG code for the picture in the hosting service and paste it directly in your forum post. If you delete the pic from the hosting service later, you will delete its appearance in the forum. Once IMG code is pasted to a forum the hosting service, and not you, sends the pic to the forum. There is a longer way to do it using the http code but IMG code is much simpler. Search the forum for specific how to's.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to need to be a lot more specific about what problems you're seeing.

How to post pictures in the forums
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why won't it put the files (pictures) that i upload to the attachments for viewing >>

The forum has a 50k max upload limit.........Use PhotoBucket or something similar.
    I must say that PhotoBucket has made it more difficult to upload images ever since they 'upgraded' their Website.
  • Options
    I hit the attach file(s) at the bottom right and it goes to my computer and uploads it to here then when i hit attach file in the other box that is up on the screen and nothing shows up in the attachments box on the bottom left..I guess i will have to try photobucket if i can't get it ..The filesare only 23k in size
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hit the attach file(s) at the bottom right and it goes to my computer and uploads it to here then when i hit attach file in the other box that is up on the screen and nothing shows up in the attachments box on the bottom left >>

Yes, that's right. I don't know what that other box is for. After you've attached the files, they are present on the server. The Attach Files upload box shows the name of the file on the server, which is almost always the same name as on your computer before uploading. The full URL would then be https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/oldattachments/name_of_file.ext (with the actual name and extension of the file). You would click the fourth icon on the top of the message window (the icon that looks like a little picture) and enter that address.
  • Options
    I got it with photobucket..Started a new account..Thanks everyone
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got it with photobucket..Started a new account..Thanks everyone >>

Show us a pic.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one day the instructions will be pasted to the top
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    I am a new member and have been trying to attach a photo without success. I was able to use photobucket successfully. Compared to another forum I use, this one is certainly cumbersome to say the least! Discouraging! The other forum even has an efficient "image optimizer" to help with posting an image which is not too large! Guess I will stick with that forum! Sorry!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a new member and have been trying to attach a photo without success. I was able to use photobucket successfully. Compared to another forum I use, this one is certainly cumbersome to say the least! Discouraging! The other forum even has an efficient "image optimizer" to help with posting an image which is not too large! Guess I will stick with that forum! Sorry! >>

Welcome! And see ya.

If the most important metric for you is user interface then you can do better elsewhere. If you care more about content and expertise then there is no better forum that this one.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Unfortunately Lance when new members see the very antiquated way this forum works it discourages them. If a forum can not be up to date and easy to use how good can the forum be?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hit the attach file(s) at the bottom right and it goes to my computer and uploads it to here then when i hit attach file in the other box that is up on the screen and nothing shows up in the attachments box on the bottom left..I guess i will have to try photobucket if i can't get it ..The filesare only 23k in size >>

While the files are "attached" to the post, they still must be made viewable.

Do a forum search on posting pictures for the title. Threads such as this and this are there for more comprehensible explanations which boil down to two alternatives: Upload to PCGS after you've reduced the size of your photo to the 50kb limit OR upload to an Image Hosting site.

BTW, I had a really neat explanation all typed up but the forums are, once again, doing their stupid posting tricks which made my reply impossible to post.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am a new member and have been trying to attach a photo without success. I was able to use photobucket successfully. Compared to another forum I use, this one is certainly cumbersome to say the least! Discouraging! The other forum even has an efficient "image optimizer" to help with posting an image which is not too large! Guess I will stick with that forum! Sorry! >>

well, by not using the attach feature, which seems semi-broken, there is actually no need for an image optimizer as virtually any reasonable size picture can be posted to these forums. Atttach limits to 50k max size, we can post jumbo... but that's not generally a good idea because of monitor limitations, which is interesting to note -- the monitors limit picture sizes but not the forum.

here is a thread on using "tinypic" to post pictures of any size on here.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file