Home U.S. Coin Forum

Stack's: show us the coin in the holder, not the label!

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's the point of Stacks' 3rd photo...of just the label. Really, does that add anything?

Give us full slab shots. The look of the coin is usually more accurate.
Lance.

Comments

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    I'd like this, too

I think a lot of the reason they're taking a photo of the label is to show the cert number. Also maybe to show what generation the holder is.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Its fairly simple to tell what generation the holder is by the label and the image they provide.
    I think the third image adds the cert number which allows you to view any images PCGS may have taken of the coin, along with past auction history. For the most part I think Stacks does a good job with their coin images.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its fairly simple to tell what generation the holder is by the label and the image they provide. >>

The OP is saying that it's easier to tell what the coin looks like in a full slab shot as compared to a cropped shot. I agree, as Heritage coins tend to look significantly different in their full slab shots vs. cropped shots.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if some changes are made it would be nice to be able to click other images w/o having to reload the page each time and i also concur about full-slab shots. for my unsolicited opinions.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    if some changes are made it would be nice to be able to click other images w/o having to reload the page each time and i also concur about full-slab shots. for my unsolicited opinions.
    . >>

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Should be easily achieved, since cropped shots begin as full slab shots image
    Data storage is so cheap these days I'm surprised they don't have 5 or 10 I images per coin. More images = more bids it's a fact.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Although I have use for the label only, I would much prefer to see the entire coin holder. Heritage now has a very nice method of showing off their auction lots.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure would be nice. I agree with you Lance.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should be easily achieved, since cropped shots begin as full slab shots image
    Data storage is so cheap these days I'm surprised they don't have 5 or 10 I images per coin. More images = more bids it's a fact. >>

Ummm... not quite. I use a powerful macro lens to take closeups of every coin I shoot. I couldn't fit the whole slab in the shot if I wanted to, and I do my best to fill the whole frame with the coin and just crop out a bit of the slab, never the whole slab. When I shoot a slab, I use a much cheaper lens and don't make any attempt to light the coin in any specific way--I'm going for a shot of the slab, not the coin. I'll also bet having 5-10 photos isn't a question of data storage but the time required to take and crop all those shots. That's much more expensive than storing them when they're ready.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hated that they changed this , just show the whole coin in the slab!!

Heritage in more ways than one, just blows stacks away on the whole internet bidding experience.

And whats funny, is this year, I have spent more in the stacks auction than heritage. Mainly due to one coin I bought at stacks

jim
  • EurekaGoldEurekaGold Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Fishing for a job? Or just advertising?
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I personally really like the new improved third pic that now shows you the serial number ... I can't tell you how much vital information I can gather by knowing exactly when and where the coin was graded.

Second, I agree that SB should go a step further and show a pic of the entire slab ... serial number as well as coin. There is no reason not to.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file