A very good counterfeit quarter

What are your thoughts on this piece?

Comments

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool obverse. I like it.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very funny, how you laid the counterfeit coin over a PCGS prong holder. imageimage

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very funny, how you laid the counterfeit coin over a PCGS prong holder. imageimage >>

It looks like the cat got out of the bag right quick!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Honest Abe said: "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

I was hoping that no one would catch on this quick, but, now that you have...I wonder if it's a CC or a modern copy?
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I was hoping that no one would catch on this quick, but, now that you have...I wonder if it's a CC or a modern copy? >>

looks modern to me

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image

I was hoping that no one would catch on this quick, but, now that you have...I wonder if it's a CC or a modern copy? >>

looks modern to me
    . >>

Sadly, you're probably right. It's the best copy I've ever held in my hand of any Bust coin...it seems to be a very good copy of the B.10
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of these things is not like the others, One of these things just doesn't belong.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Didn't catch this one right off the bat, but after staring at it harder, I can see it's a cast.

Very deceptive! Devices are proportional. Accurately-shaped numerals. Mushy, but not as mushy many modern counterfeits.

I could see this one getting past a lot of people.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    One thing about this coin - the second you look at the rim, you'll know it isn't real. The rim looks more like a pre-1965 Washington quarter rim.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that coin. I've started working on my Dansco 7070 and that is a pointed reminder of what I need to look out for when buying raw coins. That's quite the deceptive piece - my first reaction was too bad it's been dipped. I think I would have been fooled.
  • Options
    Here's a picture of the rim. If you have a large BQ, compare and see.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't catch this one right off the bat, but after staring at it harder, I can see it's a cast. >>

it happens a lot from images, especially if they are a bit blurry, no offense to the op and thanks for sharing image

but it can be quite challenging to catch this stuff w/o seeing it in-hand. i'm confident if it were handed to you by a shop owner or whatnot, you'd catch it right away

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    judging by the denticles and the reeding, im guessing chinese, but a determination of the alloy would best determine (roughly) when it was made.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    Sure looks fake.
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file