Home U.S. Coin Forum

What I found in an old Library of Coins Liberty 5c album

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
A while back I won some LoC albums, Most of them containing most of the coins minus the keys. Most of the Liberty 5c albums have an AU-BU example of the 1883 No Cents Nickel. I was pulling out some of the coins and this 1883 N/C caught my eye. A little acetone to get the gunk off and I thought "This could be a proof". Compared it point by point to a known proof example and everything matched perfectly, including the vertical line on the dentil under the 3. Not a "You Suck", but never the less a nice and profitable find.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    proof dies struck business strike planchets so matching die diagnostics is unfortunately not a lock for identifying proof coins

having said that, i'm not saying this isn't a proof

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Well just throw a wet blanket on him would you OCC..... imageimage

Nice fine Mr. C.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how does the reverse strike look??
  • sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭
    Very nice
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how does the reverse strike look?? >>

About the same, maybe even a little sharper. I'll try to get a decent image tonight when I have a little more time.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done with the acetone! Huge difference.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Pr62?

Eric

<< <i>

<< <i>how does the reverse strike look?? >>

About the same, maybe even a little sharper. I'll try to get a decent image tonight when I have a little more time. >>

<< <i>Pr62?

Eric >>

I'm thinking PR58. But I'm horrible at grading proof coins.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Great eye..........not too mention persistence.........imageimage

• << <i>

<< <i>Pr62?

Eric >>

I'm thinking PR58. But I'm horrible at grading proof coins. >>

I agree with 55 or so now that the larger pic is up. Looks 60ish in first pic. Still, a very nice find. image

Edit to add: After looking again, this is a Mint State coin IMHO. I must be going blind.

Eric

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Pr62?

Eric >>

I'm thinking PR58. But I'm horrible at grading proof coins. >>

I agree with 55 or so now that the larger pic is up. Looks 60ish in first pic. Still, a very nice find. image

Eric >>

I've got a handful of coins I'm going to send in to our host at the Economy tier, I'll just add this to it. When I get the grades back in late 2014 I'll post them. image

Eric
  • Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome!
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago my son bought an ugly 1883 N/C out of a junk box and it turned out to be a proof. He paid $12 and it was marked AU/Unc. Sent it to NCS and afterwards it graded PR64Cameo!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wouldn't the reverse left corn be better struck on a proof?...even a circulated proof?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file