Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Hall of fame sets

If you request a "hall of fame set" for example a "1974 Topps HOF" (in my case hockey) do you include coach cards?

Comments

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭
    Yes I would.. Bowman's RC has to be in that set...
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Are there examples where this has been done in Baseball, Football, Basketball, etc?
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Some examples: 1963 Topps HOF (in Baseball) does NOT contain the Walter Alston card. The 1978 Topps HOF (baseball) does NOT contain the Earl Weaver card. The 1972 Topps HOF (baseball) does NOT contain the Ted Williams card. So, I will say that based upon these examples, it will be players only.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I look at it like this:

If the card depicts the person in the role that got them in the Hall of Fame, the card should be included in the Hall of Fame set.

So.....

Any card of Walter Alston that depicts him as a manager should be in that Hall of Fame set, since he's in the Hall as a manager.

Same thing for Tom Lasorda, Earl Weaver, Sparky Anderson, etc.....

Along those lines, the 1954 Lasorda, 1959 Anderson, etc..., should not be in a Hall of Fame set, since those depict the men as players, and they were not inducted as players.

Also, the 1970, 1971 and 1972 Ted Williams cards should not be in the Hall of Fame set, since he was not inducted as a manager.

Regarding the OP's question about 1974 Topps hockey, the Scotty Bowman card should be in any Hall of Fame set, since it depicts him as a coach, and he's in the Hall of Fame as a coach (and I believe it is his "rookie" card).

Steve
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I agree with that position 100%. I am just basing it on what has been done in the past.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • I noticed this lately when I look at the 1978-79 Topps hockey HOF, it wasn't there before.

"Notes: The Topps HOF year sets can include players, managers, owners, pioneers, comissioners and referees."

It doesn't show "coach", wonder if this is just a mistake? I will email PSA.