Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

SMR $22.00

Outstanding in his Schofield
Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    SMR is WAY off on this card if it shows $22.00.

Last two to sell prior to this were as follows:

1/27/13 eBay Auction $168.96
    11/15/12 eBay Auction $210.58
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On many sets for whatever reason they use a standard price for all commons. This appears to be one of them.

I think it would be great if some effort was put into trying to reflect real prices on many cards but perhaps they have chosen it is more time consuming then worth while.

They do cover a large number of sets and the total of cards has to be in the hundreds of thousands. In the liner notes they specify that they do not use recent auction prices as a bidding war can cause a card to move further then where the value might be on future sales. I understand this logic as you will see cards sell with price gaps from the top bid two bids and the rest of the pack that can be quite large. That being said over time if the card continues to be strong the price should rise in a guide.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found SMR is generally pretty accurate when taken over a full set. Take 1963 for example. Many 1963 commons sell for well under $22. The lower pop cards that sell for many times SMR offset that and end up averaging out to around SMR. Of course that's not very helpful when trying to assess what to pay for a specific card. It can lead you to pay too much for the high pops and never obtain the low pops due to not being willing to pay well over SMR to obtain them. VCP has its flaws but it's definitely a more accurate gauge of values compared to SMR.

By the way, I'm not heavy into collecting 1963s at the moment but I assume the Schofield is one of the many series one cards in that set which have frequent print snow issues.