Home Precious Metals

Silvertowne to accept Paypal..

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
If not already noticed. I forget.

But I'll buy something now just to support this.
COA

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they charge an extra % like they do with credit cards?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Do they charge an extra % like they do with credit cards? >>

I would expect so. Is it still possible to pay by echeck with the $5 max. fee?
    They'll take a personal check but it has to clear before they ship. I can't see paying a 3% premium to get something a few days earlier when you're going to keep it for a few years anyway.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Why is taking PP over just paying with your cc a plus?
  • If you have PayPal and do not have a PayPal debit card then you should get one. They are free and then everyone will accept PayPal that accepts CC's. Plus PayPal pays a cash back on everything I buy with the PayPal Debit Card.

<< <i>If you have PayPal and do not have a PayPal debit card then you should get one. They are free and then everyone will accept PayPal that accepts CC's. Plus PayPal pays a cash back on everything I buy with the PayPal Debit Card. >>

I get cash back on my credit card so I'm not seeing the advantage of the PayPal debit card or any debit card for that matter.

<< <i>Why is taking PP over just paying with your cc a plus? >>

With PP the recipient doesn't get your CC number if you pay by CC from PP.

<< <i>

With PP the recipient doesn't get your CC number if you pay by CC from PP. >>

On line merchants using gateways never see your card number. I currently use Elavon, and have used Authorize.net as processors, and neither lets the merchant see the card number or ssid.
    So, once again, what's the allure to anyone accepting PP?

<< <i>

<< <i>

On line merchants using gateways never see your card number. I currently use Elavon, and have used Authorize.net as processors, and neither lets the merchant see the card number or ssid.
    So, once again, what's the allure to anyone accepting PP? >>

So when I order vitamins/supplements from my online source and charge it to my CC, they don't see the CC number?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

So, once again, what's the allure to anyone accepting PP? >>

So when I order vitamins/supplements from my online source and charge it to my CC, they don't see the CC number? >>

Not likely. On my site, and even though the customer enters their cc info on web page that appears as part of my site, we do not ever see the whole number, the expiration date, or the ssid. The processor sends me an email with the customer's address, the IP location from which the purchase was made, and verification codes indicating that the various types of info inputted matches the cc billing info.

Because a processor does background checks on merchants, and I'm held personally liable for certain problems involving cc purchases, you're a lot safer with someone using Authorize.net (largest processor in the world), or one like Elavon (among the top 5 processors) than you are with some fly-by-night that is using PayPal without the strong background checks. Remember, PP caps their liability. That's not so with the professional merchant cc processors. Besides, PP is expensive. They compete more against processors like the one that advertises on tv and lets anyone purchase their equipment and process cards with exorbitant fees than against the mainstream merchant processors. You end up paying those fees through higher prices, and limited availibility, etc., whether you choose to accept that fact or not.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

??? - I don't think SilverTowne charges extra for credit cards. I believe it is already included in the price of their items.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>

??? - I don't think SilverTowne charges extra for credit cards. I believe it is already included in the price of their items. >>

Correct, they don't charge more for cc, I don't think they are gonna charge for pp payment.

They also have several items with free shipping.
    I am very happy with their service.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009

<< <i>

??? - I don't think SilverTowne charges extra for credit cards. I believe it is already included in the price of their items. >>

I called them and they said there was a 3% surcharge for credit cards. Makes sense and seems fair when you consider that they are selling something with a fairly small profit margin.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I called them and they said there was a 3% surcharge for credit cards. Makes sense and seems fair when you consider that they are selling something with a fairly small profit margin. >>

Didja arsk y they wuz now takin PayPal?image

<< <i>

<< <i>

I called them and they said there was a 3% surcharge for credit cards. Makes sense and seems fair when you consider that they are selling something with a fairly small profit margin. >>

You must have to call them and place the order. There is no prevision on the website checkout for a discount or a 3% up-charge for using a CC.
    Is there a discount for paying by Cash?
    (Check, Money Order, Cashier’s Check, Wire)
    ***Yes, we provide a 3% cash discount off our list/retail price to our customers if they pay for their orders by check, money order, cashier's check, bank wire, cash or trade. The prices shown for each product on the website include the 3% cash discount unless you choose to pay by credit card.

That is for APMEX and not Silvertowne.

<< <i>The prices shown for each product on the website include the 3% cash discount unless you choose to pay by credit card. >>

Ok, so maybe they are working on changing their website but as of RIGHT NOW, the price on the website is the price you pay using a CC or PayPal. I just tested it with a 5oz bar! The price on their site was the price when placed in my cart and equals the price on my PayPal Receipt.

Can you provide a link to where on their website it states what I quoted you on???

<< <i>

<< <i>The prices shown for each product on the website include the 3% cash discount unless you choose to pay by credit card. >>

Ok, so maybe they are working on changing their website but as of RIGHT NOW, the price on the website is the price you pay using a CC or PayPal. I just tested it with a 5oz bar! The price on their site was the price when placed in my cart and equals the price on my PayPal Receipt.

Can you provide a link to where on their website it states what I quoted you on??? >>

This from their customer service on their website. Perhaps they no longer take personal checks or wires. Note #5.

////////////////////////////////

1) Enter an email address you would like to register for your order – click ‘NEXT’.

2) Enter your shipping address information – click ‘NEXT’.

3) Select shipping method (if all items in your cart qualify for free shipping, this option will be automatically selected for you as the standard “flat rate” option).

4) Verify you are over 13 years of age.

5) Select payment type (credit card or PayPal).

6) Verify billing address is the same as shipping address, or enter new billing address (billing address must match address on file with your credit card company to place order).

7) Enter payment information – click ‘NEXT’.

8) Select your email preference.

9) Create your account by entering in a password (must be 5 characters or more), and then confirm your password.

10) Click the green ‘CLICK TO SUBMIT YOUR ORDER’ button (your order is not complete until you click that button).

11) Your order is now complete. You will be routed to a Thank You page with your order details and a receipt will be sent to the email address you provided.
    - See more at: http://www.silvertowne.com/t-how-to-place-your-order.aspx#sthash.iTUlXw1A.dpuf

<< <i>That is for APMEX and not Silvertowne. >>

I was thinking people were getting other PM outlets confused with SilverTowne.

<< <i>This from their customer service on their website. Perhaps they no longer take personal checks or wires. Note #5. >>

I have bought from them for several years and have never seen an up-charge for a CC when checking out. It would seem strange they would give a discount for check/wire as you would think they would want their lowest price advertised!

<< <i>

<< <i>That is for APMEX and not Silvertowne. >>

I was thinking people were getting other PM outlets confused with SilverTowne.

<< <i>This from their customer service on their website. Perhaps they no longer take personal checks or wires. Note #5. >>

I have bought from them for several years and have never seen an up-charge for a CC when checking out. It would seem strange they would give a discount for check/wire as you would think they would want their lowest price advertised! >>

Of course they are about $40 higher than Goldmart is for 2013 one ounce gold Buffs.
    Like I said above, "I believe it is already included in the price of their items."

Shipping is also higher at ST compared to GM

What does a wire transfer cost?

<< <i>Like I said above, "I believe it is already included in the price of their items."

Shipping is also higher at ST compared to GM

What does a wire transfer cost? >>

I'd guess around $20 give or take. If you have one of those high roller accounts through your bank, it's probably a free perk. Tulving used to absorb the cost of a wire transfer, don't know if they still do.
    I just saw a comparison on line of the major banks and they were all around $25 to $30. So, anything over, say, $1,500 you will save money. GoldMart will even give yuo free shipping if you spend $7,500.

So, any bets what I will receive first??? My 5oz bar of silver from ST ordered today or the 500 1oz JM bars I ordered from GM on 5/15/2013?????