Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do all PCGS coins have a picture?

Is there a picture of the coin when i look up a number to verify a coin?

Also...

Is there a way to look up the numbers of low pop variety coins so that you can then go see the pictures of them?

For instance: A pop 6 variety coin has 3 pictures on coin facts but no pictures of the other 3 coins.
Is there a way to see the other 3 coins?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    The only time there's a picture is if there's a True View I believe.

Not sure about the second. I don't think so.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there a picture of the coin when i look up a number to verify a coin?

Also...

Is there a way to look up the numbers of low pop variety coins so that you can then go see the pictures of them?

For instance: A pop 6 variety coin has 3 pictures on coin facts but no pictures of the other 3 coins.
    Is there a way to see the other 3 coins?

Thanks!! >>

it takes some work, creativity and a lot of time usually. some you may not be able to find publicly.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my own experience, PCGS seems to be photographing most coins they receive which are above a certain level in value. I don't know the exact level, but coins worth over $500 seem to show up on Coinfacts a few days or weeks after they're graded. These photos also show up when doing a cert number lookup. All coins submitted for SecurePlus grading are photographed, but not in a way that most of us would consider "professional". TrueView coins seems to get the nicest photography work and those photos are also linked to the cert numbers.

I'm sure PCGS has their reasons, but IMO it serves to fill out the CoinFacts database, give a excellent body of reference for grading, act as a deterent to grade inflation (although many coins can be found in the CoinFacts database at more than one grade level), and maybe most importantly act as a deterent to counterfeit slab / coin combinations.

It may be that coutnerfeiting becomes so widespread that in five or ten years, it will require a matching cert # & coin photo to be comfortable with a high-end purchase.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No to both questions.
    They only started imaging coins several years ago. Most of the coins graded were done before then.
    They are taking scans of all coins for the Secure+ level now and hi res images are now available through the True View service. But most are submitted without the images being purchased.
  • Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I have several that have no pictures
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    Yes I asked PCGS about this today. All secure plus coins are laser imaged and show up with
    cert. look up to prevent counterfeiting.

All world coins require secure plus as well.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there a picture of the coin when i look up a number to verify a coin? >>

I wish. I usually cross my fingers and hope that the coin had been in a Heritage auction as I type in the cert number... but yes, it takes quite a bit of snooping around and some creativity if you want to access professional-grade photos and such.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    I looked up a world coin I just purchased and it had a normal holder but showed a pic of the coin.
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read my post imaging at PCGS is only about the last five years. They did about 18,000,000 coins before Phil went to work there.

Edit to add. In 2009 I had 1425 PCGS graded coins and at that time only one of my coins had images in the PCGS data base.
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info.
    I was able to track down 5 coins (PCGS pop 6)
    4 are incorrectly attributed.
    1 is correctly attributed and
    1 is unaccounted for,but I think I might know who owns it and info I already have tells me that it has a high probability it is also misattributed.
    suddenly a pop 6 coin could really be a pop 1 coin.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nope. I have several that have no pictures >>

same here
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Might not work for you, since all you have is your coin's cert #? but... Try searching the adjacent cert numbers. Many dealers submit batches of the same Type and often of similar quality (like rolls or tubes). One forumite recently posted their submission of only five coins yet all were top-pop and consecutive certs.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It been my experience with cents that any variety submitted has been scanned to add to the Coin facts Data base.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are starting to take pics of all coins. At least the have on my last 6 or 7 submissions. They all have been varieties. I don't know if it is just varieties or not, but I just submitted a group of 7 and only 6 are varieties. So we will see.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    someone posted a link a few years back from the pcgs site that had the cert # and different levels of sharpness from the Trueview if it existed. Does anyone have that link? Search no workie for me on like 4 different browsers.

it was something like pcgs.com/trueview/certnum/big

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file