Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jeff Conine Does America

**Please make sure you read rules 1-4 before participating**

Okay, so last time we did this was in 2008 with Chuck Knoblauch and it turned into one of the best threads ever. That was before my time here on the boards but I thought it was genius. Unfortunately Chuck is MIA now (although its rumored that Thunderdan might have him held hostage) and so its time to pass the torch and give Jeff who has been waiting patiently for his turn to make rounds all across the U.S.

The purpose of the Chuck thread was to pass him around in a top loader without a penny sleeve and see the effects of damage that it can have on the card from traveling from one destination to another. Then as Chuck was making his rounds, different ideas came about such as posing Chuck in various places throughout his destination. Well were going to do pretty much the same except for a few rules:

1 - Jeff MUST remain in his top loader and penny sleeve AT ALL TIMES. We do not want to damage him such as Chuck was intended to.

2 - Whoever gets Jeff MUST take a picture of him at his new location and let us know where that location is at meaning State/City. It could be a baseball game, A Concert, Being held by a random Hot Chick, maybe he can even take a photo at a famous location in the USA or even flying high first class on an Airplane. Whatever, just make sure if you take him, you MUST take a photo and post it up so we can all see him on his journey.

3 - If you accept him, you MUST mail him out to the next person who requested him. Do NOT keep him for more than a few days. Were going to keep track of him so don't be the one where this stops at.

4 - He is to be mailed in a regular envelope - all it takes is 1 stamp. Please, DO NOT take him if you don't have an Envelope and a Stamp. We want this to be fun and have everyone participate.

Now with THIS Jeff, I took him to the Marlins ball game today against the Cubs and took a photo of him at the game. I also happened to run into the REAL Jeff Conine and he signed that same card so the fact that this card started in the hands of Jeff Conine makes this a bit more special and fun. The card is now signed and is looking for a new destination.

If you can fellow these four rules, I guess the next question is...

Who wants Jeff next?

Jeff and I enjoyed the game today at Marlins Park in Miami Fl watching the Marlins beat the Cubs.

Ok, Zurbs said Doug can get the card first so here is the order so far.

Kicks off in Florida - Mailed to Doug as of this morning - 04/29/2013

To the person who gets him, please get with the next person requesting him to get there contact info and if you cant get a hold of that person after a couple of attemps, contact the next person in line to keep things fun and moving.

Here is the current mailing order:

01 - Dboneesq - NY
02 - zurbs17 - Canada
03 - alifaxwa2 - Maryland, Baltimore
04 - mygotta
05 - ToadMan (could not be located - skipped)
06 - Stooge (Current Location)
07 - cincyredlegs
08 - FavreFan1971
09 - Hallco
10 - EchoCanyon
11 - bcubs
12 - mexpo75
13 - fur72
14 - BostonAmericans
15 - shu4040
16 - brian26
17 - Lee99
18 - PowderedH2O
19 - jgrigali
20 - totallyradd
21 - Jawa2600

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    You broke rule #1. Just wanted to point that out

• Options
    If Jeff is allowed to cross the border into Canada, send him my way.

jb
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I am in
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Well, this Saturday I will be driving down to Baltimore to pick my daughter up from Loyola University, where she just finished her freshman year. We are going to hang out together (a little dad/daughter bonding) for a few days. This will include going to Pimlico Racetrack next Sunday. If I could get him first (if the other two ahead of me don't mind) I will take some pics of Jeff at Pimlico ... 13 days before the BIG RACE.

Marc ... LMK if this works out. If so, I'll PM you my info.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I'll play along.
  • Options
    Waiting List will be updated on the top post. I will be adding names as we move along.
  • Options
    Sign me up!

I would be great if he could get to all 50 states this summer.

Jason
  • Options
    ToadManToadMan Posts: 219 ✭✭
    I'm going to the Kansas City Royals game on Saturday May 11 and sit in the dugout suites. I think it'd be pretty cool if he were able to be on the same field from where he started!
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up!

Let me know when you need my 411.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Marc,

Put me on the waiting list as well.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Sign me up too. Depending on the time I can get Jeff to Lambeau or Miller Park.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I have faith that one day (maybe not today, tomorrow, next month, or whatever) Chucky will reappear.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is too weird!!! I was going through some old 3 ring binders yesterday and that card represents the "center square" of one of my Jeff Conine pages!!!! imageimage I will be going to Turner Field at some point this summer so you can add me to the mix if ya wanna! image
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I want Jeff.
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    I would like to participate.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a blast and I can be included with some of the really true collectors out there. I will represent the great state of North Carolina! Thanks.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I never got to hold Chuck so I will take a pass with Jeff. Should be fun.
  • Options
    I will join the fun on this. I took a Flat Stanley to Wrigley Field for my nephew - this should be cool.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Sign me up
  • Options
    It would be cool to get a photo of him in all 30 mlb parks.
  • Options
    Mr. Conine arrived safely on Long Island this morning. I will be heading to Baltimore Saturday morning to pick my daughter up from Loyola. Unfortunately the Orioles and Nationals are both on the road this weekend. HOWEVER, I'll be getting some nice pics of Mr. Conine visiting the Inner Harbor ... Little Italy ... Pimlico Racetrack and other spots.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

Please put me on the list. I'll be traveling to Puerto Rico on June 13. I could get him a good suntan and send him to the next person from San Juan.

Let me know.

Lee
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Throw me down. I'll make sure Jeff gets to see something interesting in the Carolinas.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Hey Doug, glad Jeff made his 1st stop of the tour. Cant wait to see where he will end up.

List has been updated and will continue to be updated on the 1st page. Right now, there currently appears to be about a month and a half wait time but whoever else wants in, just let me know and Ill add names as time goes on and he will eventually make his way to you.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    It is great to have a list but I think it would be cool if people were willing to give up their slot if another board member has a great event where to take Jeff. As long as he keeps moving and board members do not disappear for a while I think this should be the route to go. I'd much rather take Jeff on a trip then just an adventure near my home.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    It is great to have a list but I think it would be cool if people were willing to give up their slot if another board member has a great event where to take Jeff. As long as he keeps moving and board members do not disappear for a while I think this should be the route to go. I'd much rather take Jeff on a trip then just an adventure near my home.

That’s true but on the same token, its not fair to others who have been waiting - however, what I will do is if someone wants to traded places, to PM me and Ill will switch them on the list. I won’t bump everyone else back, but I will switch the places of those 2 people. Example, If i'm #5 on the list and your #18 - If you want to get Jeff sooner because you have some big thing coming up, I will switch you to the #5 spot but then that other person is agreeing to take your #18 spot. That way, no one else will lose their place in line. Of course for this to happen, both parties have to be in agreeance.

Again, I just want everyone and anyone to particapate. You dont need to have a big outing lined up to get him either. Just take him anywhere, take a photo, post it on here and send the card out to the next person in line. Easy Peasy.
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    sign me up
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    I was just looking through the Chuck Knoblauch thread.

There is nothing more disappointing than scrolling through the Chuck thread to see where he went and seeing the "photo no longer here" image.

May I suggest something for this adventure?

Get a photobucket account for only this Conine card. That way the pictures will stay up as long as this thread is on this site. You could share the user & pass with everyone that gets Jeff and they can post directly to it. Once it's over, the account will remain untouched for future generations to discover. "Dad, who was that?" "Well son, that was Jeff Conine, the most interesting man in the world."

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be willing to trade spots.

But, I would like the card before the National....if possible. I thought about taking Mr. Conine to the PSA luncheon and having a picture with Cosetta and Joe, and maybe a group picture at the BBCE booth! Plus I think I will be seeing a White Sox game. Dates are 7/31/13-8/5/13.

Let me know please.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Well, unfortunately "Jeff Conine Does America" did not start out well.

This past Friday, the day before Jeff and I were to go to Baltimore to pick my daughter up from Loyola University, Jeff decided to play ping pong with some locals here on Long Island.

The match got quite heated and when he lunged for the ball he came down hard on his ankle and we both knew it was not good. I immediately called the ambulance and they rushed Mr. Conine to Stony Brook University Medical Center.

I knew I had a great responsibility to watch after Jeff, so I made sure the hospital was well guarded and nobody would try to kidnap Jeff.

He was rushed into surgery to repair his shattered ankle. Here is the team that took care of him.

He was told that he had to stay in the hospital for 4 days, so he was not able to make the trip to Baltimore with me. We both felt very bad, but I visited him when I got back Monday night. He is doing fine and was released from the hospital last night. Here is a picture from the Press Conference where the doctor stated that he was optimistic that Jeff would be back to 100% within 6 months.

OK ... THIS IDIOT forgot to bring the card with him when he went to Baltimore. Sorry guys ... he will be brought to the Post Office this afternoon and he will be headed up to Canada for the next part of his journey.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'd like in on this! We'll go on a Brewery Tour together in Milwaukee!
  • Options
    For those of you that did not know, Jeff had to go back to the hospital for a few days and was released Thursday night. Before he headed up to Canada on Friday for the 2nd leg of his journey, he asked if we could stop for a few slices of Long Island Pizza.

After having the pizza he told me that he usually has a few drinks to relax him before he gets on an airplane. So we stopped at the local watering hole (Pleasant Inn) for a few cold ones.

After sucking down about 4 beers each, we headed down the block where we said our final goodbyes and he headed for CANADA.

PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED AS TO HOW JEFF'S ANKLE IS HEALING!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Jeff has arrived in Canada. He's staying for the long weekend. As a huge fan of the movie Rambo he's asked that he get taken to where the movie was filmed. We'll try grant that request this weekend then send him on to his next stop.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those of you that did not know, Jeff had to go back to the hospital for a few days and was released Thursday night. Before he headed up to Canada on Friday for the 2nd leg of his journey, he asked if we could stop for a few slices of Long Island Pizza.

After having the pizza he told me that he usually has a few drinks to relax him before he gets on an airplane. So we stopped at the local watering hole (Pleasant Inn) for a few cold ones.

After sucking down about 4 beers each, we headed down the block where we said our final goodbyes and he headed for CANADA.

PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED AS TO HOW JEFF'S ANKLE IS HEALING! >>

Pleasant inn huh?? Sounds like one of them strip mall happy ending massage parlors,not that I have
    ever been,just say'n//
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jeff has arrived in Canada. He's staying for the long weekend. As a huge fan of the movie Rambo he's asked that he get taken to where the movie was filmed. We'll try grant that request this weekend then send him on to his next stop. >>

Last seen with the hockey folk on May 15th....anyone know where his current GPS location? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jeff has arrived in Canada. He's staying for the long weekend. As a huge fan of the movie Rambo he's asked that he get taken to where the movie was filmed. We'll try grant that request this weekend then send him on to his next stop. >>

Last seen with the hockey folk on May 15th....anyone know where his current GPS location? image >>

Supposedly on the way to me from Canada.

Commissions

• Options
    I wrote to Zurbs and I beleive he also told me the same thing. Not sure why he hasnt posted any pictures but we need to get this thing moving. This was the type of thing that I wanted to avoid - holding the card for so long. Should just be a couple to a few days, then pass it a long.
  • Options
    Ok, finally got my pictures done. I had a whole lot more planned, but didn't want to hold this up any longer and frankly, finding some of the specific locations I wanted was more difficult than I expected. Nothing major, but I will mention them at the bottom of the post.

Here is Jeff visiting the building of 2 of our country's public health organizations.

Here is Jeff visiting the United States Pharmacopeial Convention, this is a ~190 year old non-profit public health organization. They develop quality standards for Foods, Drugs, Dietary Supplements, Excipients, etc. It is written into federal law that the FDA is required to enforce the quality guidelines they set on manufacturers of the drugs and other items. And yea, I work there. So, sue me.

Now the more interesting pictures.
    Jeff decided to go pay his respects to some stars who came before him;
    First up, this guy has been in the news lately because he wrote a book a recent Leonardo DiCaprio movie was based on.
    Here is Jeff with an NFL Hall of Famer, who retired in this area and ran a duck-pin bowling alley for many years;
    Here is Jeff visiting one former Washington Senator player;
    And Jeff's last successful visit was to visit the man who is quite possibly the greatest pitcher ever, who has a local High School name after him;
    As a side note to the Johnson and baseballs resting on it. The ball on the top, right, is Pirates of the Caribbean baseball from Disney.

As I said earlier, I had a few other people for Jeff to go visit, but it didn't work out. There is a local pet cemetery that has the dog owned by J. Edgar Hoover and also has the dog that was in the original Our Gang films, but from the looks of it when I went by, it hasn't been mowed in a few years, so I didn't venture into it.

Card will be mailed the mygotta on Monday.

Commissions

• Options

<< <i>First up, this guy has been in the news lately because he wrote a book a recent Leonardo DiCaprio movie was based on.
    image >>

Doesn't Conine look good in Mr. Gatsbys pocket 'Old Sport'?
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't Conine look good in Mr. Gatsbys pocket 'Old Sport'?
    image >>

Great Post!!!

Commissions

• Options
    You guys are too funny. Jeffrey, thanks again for the awesome photos. Lets see what Anthony can do next with Jeff.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Jeff!
  • Options
    I realize I participated in this thread and the card is currently on its way to home address in San Diego. While it travels there, some bad news has hit and I had to take an emergency trip to Connecticut. It would have been nice if I had him to take cross country with me, but it did not arrive in time. So in the meantime Jeff will reside in San Diego for a few weeks. I apologize that it will be delayed before I get it and send him on his way. I hope this is not a problem for everyone. Thanks in advance for your understanding.
  • Options
    I hope things work out well for you. The card can wait ... take care of things at home first.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options

<< <i>I hope things work out well for you. The card can wait ... take care of things at home first. >>

Thank you.
  • Options
    So I'm gonna revive this thread. I am back home and have my world close to being put back together. I will post pics of Mr. Conine later today. Thanks for everyone's patience as I dealt with things. But as the umpire says after the first pitch, "Play ball!"
  • Options
    Well, I did not get to take Jeff to too many places around San Diego. Here is a photo of him with two of my best friends.

They looked at me sideways for this request, but I assured them Jeff was a nice guy. This next photo is at my friends place who has an assortment of various religious artifacts. Jeff was taught some types of yoga and Hindu philosophy. Might be late to "be Zen" while at bat, but he appreciated it nonetheless. Some of the images scared him a bit, but he understood their significance (after it was explained, of course).

And then here he is at the break of dawn stepping outside into the courtyard here in San Diego. Beautiful sun. Beautiful trees. Beautiful blue sky.

Stepping out and into the road. He observes and takes in the scene of Ocean Beach and ponders what new experiences he will have today.

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jeff,

Good to see you again.
  • Options
    Nice Anthony. Good to hear that things are starting to come back together for you. Thanks for the Jeff revival and I look forward to see what other adventures he will come across.

Eventually I would like to give the real Jeff a link to this site so he can see all his many wonderful adventures. I think he would find some ammusement toward this.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Jeff!