Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Country and Western …

For those who live in the US:

Ever grow tired of dealers who only sell US coins? Often advertising as a "rare coin" firm, making no reference to country, but once you step inside their store you realize they only carry Classic and Modern US coins … like going into a record store that only sells Country and Western.

I just wish it weren't so hard to find local shops carrying foreign material. I'm tired of buying all my stuff online and not in-hand. I love going to shows, but my ability to travel is diminishing greatly.

If you don't know what I'm talking about it's an old joke in the Southern half of the States. Guy walks into a bar and asks, "do you have music here?" to which he gets the reply "Oh yes, we have both kinds. Country and Western!"
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Most collectors in the US collect US coins. That's just the way it is. The store owners I've talked with have told me their customers have near zero interest in "foreign coins". As such, it's not really surprising that most store owners don't make much of an effort at stocking world coins.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes but it's not like that in other countries. So, I either move to Europe (or other continent) or buy exclusively online?

Anyway I know the reasons I just felt like complaining image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most collectors in the US collect US coins. That's just the way it is. The store owners I've talked with have told me their customers have near zero interest in "foreign coins". As such, it's not really surprising that most store owners don't make much of an effort at stocking world coins. >>

Being a dealer of both I can tell you there are more collectors of world coins in the states than you realize! My problem is finding nice world material to replace what I sell!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny thread about country and western-

Music covers alot of territory- there is real country music - such as Jimmie Rogers- and that pure sound of his old Victor records from 1928 through 1932 define a style that can never be equalled or reproduced. Hank Williams and even the Jerry Lee Lewis Sun sessions are in a class by themselves- then there is the commercial over produced sound that is basically painful to listen to. The Jerry Lee Lewis Sun recording of Hank Williams' You Win Again is probably one of the greatest Country recordings I have ever heard.

The comment is intended to be funny... and it is for reasons most may not even contemplate.

As for dealers handling world coins, that remains a problem but times are a changin'

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    One of the bands I'm in is a Johnny Cash tribute show. I am the Luther and Carl Perkins image
    That old Sun Studio sound is a ton of fun to play. Unfortunately it's also very dated and will probably never return. I believe it's the slap-back reverb that dates it so heavily. Like the Les Paul / Mary Ford stuff.

Amwldcoin, they aren't coming to shows in my region. I see the same faces. Most of the world dealers in my area either closed their shops or don't rent booths, or both. Probably because they weren't selling enough retail. Some will join forces at shows and split booth costs.

In what state are you?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see your delimna. I am in Ga but only do shows and ebay. I do shows in the SE up to Baltimore. While smaller shows probably don't have many world dealers...Larger shows such as Baltimore,Fun,etc. usually have many dealers of world coins.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Another way to look at it, is that the US dealers who don't get into selling foreign will have a junk box of foreign that they know nothing about and will sell cheap. For the person in the know who collects foreign it can be a wonderfully happy experience. Keep looking. Even if you see nothing in the trays enquire as to what he has in back. I am sure every dealer has some foreign that he took in trade to get those cherry US coins he wanted. He will let the foreign coins collecting dust go for cheap. Good luck and happy hunting.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Ukraine dealers have a variety - overpriced Ukraine and USSR coins, decent priced Russian, and overpriced everything else. Gees I can even get a $20 Saint of questionable authenticity, albeit at a price higher than in USA.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AWC if you're in GA then I've bought from you and probably more than once! And I certainly mean no disrespect to my SE'ern dealers. Just wish some new material would automagically appear image and as I mentioned in OP my travel schedule is more limited now image doubtful ill ever see FUN again for years.

<< <i>In Ukraine dealers have a variety - overpriced..., decent priced... and overpriced... >>

image OK maybe it's not so bad where I live image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE