Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To break or not - 2000 Topps Traded Case - Auto Cabrera rookie?

Hi folks I have a sealed case of 20 factory sets from the 2000 traded baseball set. I picked it up just before his cards went nuts last year. I'm by nature a unopened collector however factory sets aren't quite the same. So I'm considering breaking it....

If I break it I get
20 regular Cabrera rookies plus Philips, Young, A Gonzalez. cabreras run 100 ish in PSA 10 form.
I potentially get a auto Cabrera

Drawbacks could be no auto Cabrera or damage to the cards from being sealed so long. Not sure on the damage part, I know the chrome sets aren't worth breaking as the gloss sticks everything together, probably not the same here.

benefit to keeping it sealed is the value premium is in the case and people seeking Cabrera

Anyone have experience breaking these sets?
Anyone know how many Autos of each player were issued, they are not numbered.

So what should I do?

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    The answer to this question is always- without exception-- to keep it unopened, unless you're a) drunk, b) aching to gamble, and c) prepared to discover that you lost your shirt when you wake up in the morning and shake off the cobwebs.

In sum, there's nothing wrong with cracking the case, but never for a minute think that breaking the case is +EV.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    keep it unopened for sure...they are very glossy cards and have a tendency to stick together. Similar to Stadium Club.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The "sticking together" isn't nearly as bad as early 90s issues. They are a little stiff, but they come apart easy.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, I wonder what issues one may encounter with the pulled autos, imagine pulling Cabrera and having half a auto pulled off the surface!
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    If you're that worried about it, why not buy a set off Ebay and see how it held up? That'll answer your question.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Also could depend on the environment in which the case was stored...One case stored in a humid environment could be different than one stored in someones basement..
    I collect Wisconsin Badgers Autographs in their Wisconsin Uniforms. What ya got?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If a couple of cards are stuck together, put them in the freezer overnight. The next morning they SHOULD separate with no problem.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I can tell you from experience that 2000 Bowman and Bowman Update stored improperly over time results in cards being stuck together. I would assume Topps from 2000 would be the same...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)