Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Owl Tetradrachm ?

What is a good price for a nice F-XF owl? I saw a reputable dealer selling them for about $350.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds cheap to me.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These have inexplicably tripled in price recently. There are many factors other than the straight grade (level of wear) which come into play and make a significant difference in price (the era of issue, centering, any chop marks, quality of the metal, etc.)

This was an incredibly large issue, spanning centuries and with millions of coins being minted so you can be choosey if you wish.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes I thought that $350 was fairly cheap considering what I have seen these go for. I did not see chop marks on any of them, I saw all nicely centered strikes and could not see any negative issues. I guess being choosey is good I just wanted a good price range because I have never seriously shopped for one before so I have no idea.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Owls are very popular these days in many arena. Especially home decor, for kids and adults. And I have always felt these were the most popular and commonly-sought-after ancient. So I'm not surprised they have increased in price.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    it's a type collectors dream coin!
  • prices vary a lot between a Fine and and Extremely Fine Athens Owl Tetradrachm, $350 is cheap
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is a good price for a nice F-XF owl? I saw a reputable dealer selling them for about $350. >>

That is an almost too good to be true price. Beware of a counterfeit even if ancient.
  • CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Depends on which type of owl you're talking about.

Archaic, Classical, Transitional, New Style are all priced differently.

For reference, we've got three listed on our site right now. The first is a Classical style and the last two are transitional types.

http://www.civitasgalleries.com/cgi/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=athens+owl&search_request_button=+Search+
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
    Well, I guess that I would be looking for around the Classical or Transitional type. I really would like to just add any type of the coin to be honest, but I had not heard of the different time periods until your post. Which is exactly why I post here, to learn before I buy. Any advice on which to go for, Josh, if I am only looking to add one piece? I have to get together $400 anyway, so it will be a bit.
  • excellent point Josh
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on which type of owl you're talking about.

For reference, we've got three listed on our site right now. The first is a Classical style and the last two are transitional types.

http://www.civitasgalleries.com/cgi/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=athens+owl&search_request_button=+Search+ >>

Another possibility for owls are the Arabian knockoffs that were made around the latter part of the pre-Christian era.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

<< <i>Well, I guess that I would be looking for around the Classical or Transitional type. I really would like to just add any type of the coin to be honest, but I had not heard of the different time periods until your post. Which is exactly why I post here, to learn before I buy. Any advice on which to go for, Josh, if I am only looking to add one piece? I have to get together $400 anyway, so it will be a bit. >>

Well, my suggestion is always buy what you like. I know, very helpful... image

Typically, I think when someone says "Athens owl tetradrachm", the image that comes to mind is usually the Classical style from post 449 B.C.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.

<< <i>

<< <i>Depends on which type of owl you're talking about.

http://www.civitasgalleries.com/cgi/store/commerce.cgi?keywords=athens+owl&search_request_button=+Search+ >>

Another possibility for owls are the Arabian knockoffs that were made around the latter part of the pre-Christian era. >>

I left those out, assuming Nick was talking about an Athens issue rather than imitative. But, you're right. The styles can get pretty funky on those Arabian imitations and could be a whole collecting path unto themselves.

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a photo or link to what you are looking at?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    Ah you know the original thread is so old I don't even remember which specific seller I was looking at really. I think that just from wandering around completed listings on the Bay and some dealer websites it seemed that $350 seemed to be around the going price at the time.

Yes Josh, you are correct in that I would prefer to have a Tetradrachma from Athens rather than an imitative piece at first. Saoralba, I appreciate the idea and that might be something I look into further as I had not heard of those either before this thread. But if I am going to add only one piece I would like it to be an original issue from Athens and one of the archetypal issues that most others imitated.

Thanks for all of the input here everyone!