Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 Topps Deckle with rounded corners

Does anyone have any information on these? Indentical to the '69 Topps Deckle Edge cards except they are blank backed and don't have the deckling but rather rounded corners. This is a link to someone's ebay listing but I have about 10 others. Can't find any info online. I know there was a straight edge version (OPC?) but haven't seen these before.

Comments

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The seller, Mike Mosier at Columbia City Collectibles, has a lot of expertise in odd ball Topps and Fleer items. He has a web site, columbiacitycollectibles.com and has always been good at answering my questions about stuff he is selling.

I have never seen a rounded, undeckled 69 proof, but it stands to reason there were proof sheets and that they would be blank backed. It looks like the rounded cuts may have been from a sheet by hand, but Mike would likely know if they were hand or machine cut.

Topps did do a prototype proof sheet for this issue, but it did not include Howard and in fact has only one player on the proof, Yaz, that actually made it into the actual set

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm very familiar with Columbia City. I thought about asking but by using a question mark in his title and not really saying much about them in the description it kind of seems like he doesn't know much about them either. Might be worth a try though. The players/photos I have match with the set so I assume they're from some sort of proof but haven't found any reference to that.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like any Yaz auto I've ever seen
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the 69 deckle sheet was cut with the same cutter as the 69 topps supers? just another form of topps proof issue.