Home Testing Forum

FSHO: Maine Obsoletes, Advertising Notes & Ephemera

StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

FSHO: Maine Obsoletes, Advertising Notes & Ephemera

1. Bangor, 1863 The Eastern Bank, $5 - red "FIVE" overprint, $85

2. Bangor, 1838 The Globe Bank, $3 - scarcer note, $140

3. Calais, 1835 The Washington County Bank, $10 - Ad note, "Hats Caps Gloves and Umbrellas for sale By S Johnston Calais" - not an uncommon note, but
not often found with manuscript ad on back, $150

4. Calais, 1835 The Washington County Bank, $5 - Ad note, "Wm M. Wood, Stock & Exchange Broker, Exchange St. Portland" - another common note, but
seldom found with ad on reverse, $110

5. Fairmount, 1857 The New England Bank, $20 - Unissued remainder, spurious issue, hammer cancelled, $175

6. Orono, 1836 The Bank of Old Town, $5 - nice beaver vignette, $75

7. Orono, 1836 The Bank of Old Town, $10 - better condition than often found, $125

8. Portland, 1845 The Bank of The Georgia Lumber Company, $1 - fully framed, $95

9. Portland, 1837 The US Exchange Bank, $2 - much above average condition, clear, $100

10. Sanford, 186x The Sanford Bank, $10 - red overprint, "two trains" vignette, $175

11. Westbrook, 1844 The Bank of Westbrook, $1 - good note, even with replaced corner - $120

Maine Advertising on Replica CSA Notes
(often collected with obsolete notes)

12. Ca. 1880s Foxcroft, Maine ad note: William Buck & Co., Druggist, "Dr. Morse's Indian Root Pills" - very difficult to find anything from Foxcroft, $100

13. Ca. 1880s Portland, Maine ad note: Chas. H. Crocker, "Gold Dust Asbestos Stove Lining ... Heaters ... Parlor Stoves" - really a neat and creative piece, with excellent writing, $65

14. Ca. 1880s Skowhegan, Maine ad note: Smith's Music Store and Sewing Machines - Skowhegan is another very difficult location to find material from, $175

15. Ca. 1899 ad note: Admiral George Dewey, USS Maine - Spanish-American War piece, $75

Maine Ephemera

16. 1865 Sutler's pay warrant, 8th Maine Regiment, issued - The 8th Maine fought valiantly throughout the war.
During the period when this (and the next) warrant was issued, they were positioned in trenches near the James River,
around Richmond. They participated in the Appomattox Campaign in early April 1865, and were present at Appomattox Court
House when Lee surrendered. Actual war-era artifacts with a tangible connection to Maine units are very scarce. $265

17. 1865 Sutler's pay warrant, 8th Maine Regiment, issued - $275

18. 186_ Sutler's pay warrant, 23rd Maine Regiment, unissued - The 23rd Maine Infantry was organized in Portland, and
served from September 1862 through July 1863, primarily in the defense of Washington, D.C. - $50

19. 1837 Steamship receipt, Portland: Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, "2 Bundles Sneaths" (scythe handles) - $20

20. 1898 Creamery receipt, "Capt. R.T. Emery", Belfast - Robert T. Emery was a noted Belfast Captain who sailed
some of the largest and best ships on the ocean during the Civil War era. In September 1863, while on a voyage from
Liverpool to San Francisco, his ship <i>Living Age</i> was captured by the Confederate cruiser <i>Tuscaloosa</i>, a vessel in Admiral
Semmes' fleet. Having been captured in possession of a neutral cargo bound for a neutral port, Emery was allowed to
continue his voyage, but only after paying a $160,000 ransom bond to the Confederates. - $45

21. 1853 Town warrant, Canton - $11.57 in payment for "Blackboard and repairs on School", $10

22. 1858 Town warrant, Canton - $11.40 in payment for "Stove and funnel", $10

All prices include insured shipment. Payment by postal money order/personal check (please mail within 48 hrs.), or Paypal (add 1.5% unless price shown above is 'Net'). I ship USPS Priority insured immediately upon receipt of payment (checks need to clear unless we've done business before) and ship only to US addresses. I am responsible for all shipments until post office tracking says delivered. Will send tracking number upon shipment. Standard 7-day return privilege.

Please PM with any questions. Many successful BST transactions in sig line below. No unsuccessful BST transactions. I aim to please!

Thanks,

Mike Stair
Staircoins