Georges !V and V

imageimage

Wonder where this one had been.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• I love both of them. Well done!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• I find it interesting that the crowns shown here have little resemblance to the real thing.

George IV is shown being crowned with a crown with the arches descending downward in the center. This looks like the crown of St. Edward the confessr which is typically used at coronations. Typically, it is later replace with the imperial state crwon. However George the IV had his own crown made for both functions with the arches rising upwards. The jewels were rented and the government never agreed to buy them. So the jewels were returned in 1823 and the use of the crown abandoned.

The obverse of George V item is shown wearing a "Tudor" crown. This is the official 2-D crown approved by Edward VII for use on documents etc. The cloth cap inside the crown is red while the actual 3-D crowns have a purple-violet color. The actual croiwns are taller than they are wide. If you put one of those on a crown the monarchs head would have to be lowered.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Proof: Neat info! I love reading details like this. Where on Earth did you find that information?

Great medals Harasha!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both very nice. I'm partial to the Georgie4.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff!
  • <<Proof: Neat info! I love reading details like this. Where on Earth did you find that information?>>

I have been fascinated by the differing crowns for years. I have picked up a lot of information in the past year though. Wikipedia has a lot of info on them. Queen Elizabeth changed the "2-D" version to St. Edwards crown in 1953. In 1959 Canada updated the coat of arms on the fifty cent piece to show this. But there was one mistake. The bottom panel had parallel horizontal lines which indicated a blue color. It
    should have been white (blank, no lines). This was corrected in 1960.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    "2-D"...two dominion? Help me out here.
  • <<"2-D"...two dominion? Help me out here.>>

Two dimensions as shown on a printed document, coat of arms, coins, etc. Edward VII and Elizabeth II both specified how these were to be shown. They do not look much like the real crowns. The real ones are taller than wide. When the printed ones are shown in color, the cloth cap within the crown is red to follow heraldy standards.