Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Zeugitana OT Perhaps

Don't know anything about this piece, other than its representation of a Zeugatanan horse.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Interesting piece! How big is it? From the image, it looks like a large cast piece, but it's difficult for me to judge.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The mint mark thing at 7 o'clock may be your only clue. I have no idea where it's from, but what a fun mystery! Especially for someone who loves horses image

Check the edge carefully for marks. Medals often have identifying marks on the edge. And … nothing on the reverse?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an approximate 5.5" item with no other identifying marks. It had been described as a plaque by the seller, but there is nothing with which to hang it. I probably will use one of those wooden stands for displaying dishes.
    If the horse was not so obvious a representation of the Zeugitana symbol, I would guess that the mark could mean American Thoroughbred.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint mark thing at 7 o'clock may be your only clue. I have no idea where it's from, but what a fun mystery! Especially for someone who loves horses image

Check the edge carefully for marks. Medals often have identifying marks on the edge. And … nothing on the reverse? >>

This.

It is does indeed seem pretty obvious that the horse mimics the ones used on ancient Carthaginian/Zeugitanian coinage.

But that mark is probably going to be the key to the mystery. I wonder if it too has any ancient associations, even though the plaque itself is obviously much more modern (i.e. late 19th to early 20th century would be my guess).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.