Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it possible to get a gold 8 Escudos for spot?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭✭
I've always liked the older 8 escudos coins, but haven't bought much since gold spiked. Now that it has come down a little, is there any place to get one for around spot?

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    If you find it please let me know or get two of them!
    I would love one as well.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was holed or had other serious damage you might get it close to melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always liked the older 8 escudos coins, but haven't bought much since gold spiked. Now that it has come down a little, is there any place to get one for around spot? >>

Not sure you will find them for spot, see info here.

Best,
    Ray
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly possible. Depends on what your definition of "around spot" is.

The gold content of the 8 escudos varied, but IIRC it was .75 ounce AGW give or take. That puts their melt value around $1100.

There's an 1804 Columbia piece slabbed ANACS EF40 details cleaned for $1695 on eBay right now.

It looks like pirate treasure. image

But remember, the age of pirates really ended in the early 1730s. So if like me, you really want the real deal pirate stuff, you want a "cob":

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Certainly possible. Depends on what your definition of "around spot" is.

The gold content of the 8 escudos varied, but IIRC it was .75 ounce AGW give or take. That puts their melt value around $1100.

There's an 1804 Columbia piece slabbed ANACS EF40 details cleaned for $1695 on eBay right now.

It looks like pirate treasure.

But remember, the age of pirates really ended in the early 1730s. So if like me, you really want the real deal pirate stuff, you want a "cob":

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread!image thanks for the link mr. paseo
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Another place you may want to check out is here.....I have had many dealings with Dan over the years, he has always been 100%, the auction format he started a couple years ago is great also.

http://www.sedwickcoins.com/