Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Non-CICF Newp

Picked this one up from our friends at NEN. Lustrous and frosty.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A real beauty!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very juicy!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. There were a few coins I was chasing after in the last few weeks, unsuccessfully. This was a consolation coin image

Here's the PCGS image:

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I saw the NEN table for the first time at CICF and I must say, they really seem to pick up all of the beauties. This piece is an excellent example of their great taste.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonderful pickups - really like tehm a lot too!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Roman! Amazing luster on that first piece.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys!

Just want to highlight that all 3 sets of images are of the same coin, just different ways of lighting it. First one is a straight down shot with multiple overhead lights to bring-out the luster and show surface condition, second shot is taken at an angle into a single light to show the contrast between fields and devices, and the third image is shot by our hosts using their own method of lighting.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another awesome coin for your already impressive set. If that's your consolation prize, you're doing alright. Were you pursuing any of the high grade 8R in the recent HA auctions?
  • Options

<< <i>Another awesome coin for your already impressive set. If that's your consolation prize, you're doing alright. Were you pursuing any of the high grade 8R in the recent HA auctions? >>

Thanks, Dan.

The only 8R in the HA sale I was interested in was the 1820 Zacatecas in PCGS MS63. While 1820 Zs's do come nice, this was the best looking example I have seen to date. Wouldn't be surprised if it went to Scott @ MexicoCoinCompany - it would compliment nicely the mint state 1814 Guadalajara 8R he picked-up last year.

I also tried winning one of Greg Margulies (gmarguli) eBay auction by sniping at what I thought was a sure price, but someone must have wanted it more. It was a PCGS graded MS62+ 1808/7 Carlos IV 8R with attractive color. My bid of over $2200 was not enough, but I still get a small satisfaction of knowing that i prevented the high bidder from getting it at a steal.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1804 dollar...!
  • Options

<< <i>1804 dollar...! >>

Close enough image Without having to pay 3.5 million for an MS example!
  • Options
    Wow, frosty is right! Very nice, love the luster on that one.
    960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    Roman, I've seen...and we've discussed a few coins lately with this look. Frosty with some light rusty toning around the periphery. A "mini-hoard" of these was recently graded by what I'm assuming is the same submitter. Your OP coin has a similar look. What's your take on where these coins are coming from? Were they long ago conserved with some re-toning? Were they put away long term and recently discovered? It's good fun to think about the path these coins took on their way into your collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Roman, I've seen...and we've discussed a few coins lately with this look. Frosty with some light rusty toning around the periphery. A "mini-hoard" of these was recently graded by what I'm assuming is the same submitter. Your OP coin has a similar look. What's your take on where these coins are coming from? Were they long ago conserved with some re-toning? Were they put away long term and recently discovered? It's good fun to think about the path these coins took on their way into your collection. >>

I'm leaning towards a single specialized collection from Europe going through PCGS Paris office. Like you've said - most have the same look, but the dates are different pointing to a collection more than a hoard.

And yes, any 200 year old coin with that look has been dipped.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm leaning towards a single specialized collection from Europe going through PCGS Paris office. Like you've said - most have the same look, but the dates are different pointing to a collection more than a hoard. >>

Sounds possible, although did you notice PCGS graded 4 mint state 1812-MO HJs after only a single AU50 had straight graded at PCGS or NGC previously. That jumps out at me as odd, although could still be a specialized collector knowing the date/assayer to be scarce and holding onto a few examples.

<< <i>And yes, any 200 year old coin with that look has been dipped. >>

Yah...and it's too bad. As far as they go, I think you've picked up a few that still have good luster which isn't always the case.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw it on NEN...after it sold image

If you decide to part with it, keep me in mind! image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonderful coin- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Beautiful- what are the grades?
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful- what are the grades? >>

Looks like a solid 63 and almost prooflike.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Beautiful- what are the grades? >>

Looks like a solid 63 and almost prooflike. >>

You got it!