Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Two CICF Newps

I saw this at Jim Elman's table while I was contemplating another piece (the second coin in this post). It's a 1780-KM 10 Kopek copper piece from Siberia. It's a fantastic hefty piece, about the diameter of a crown-sized coin but with much greater thicker. The obverse legend simply says, in Russian, "Siberian Money", and the center device says "10 Kopeks 1780".

This is quite an unexpected purchase for me, because I don't do copper. My only other real copper purchase is a nicely toned SVDB in 65BN. As for why I purchased this, it's because of my Russian ex-wife. One day while we were still married, she pulled out a bag of old coins that she brought with her from her home outside Novosibirsk. In that accumulation were some large copper pieces that were totally original with lovely chocolate lustrous surfaces. They were nice circulated pieces, and not worth a fortune, but all quite handsome.

(BTW, this piece cost me little enough that I'm ok with this impulse buy.)

The coin is currently undergoing typical EAC-style massage and restoration.

My second piece, also from Jim Elman, is actually within my core collecting interests. It's a 1779 Scudo from Milan (Dav-1386), depicting Maria Theresa, Empress of Austria. In hand, this is a very handsome piece. It has light adjustment marks on the reverse. I used my iPhone 5 to snap the pictures in my hotel room, so you may not appreciate its quality as much as I do. And, yes, it will be sent to a TPG. And, no, I'm not interested in a GTG situation.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Aha! Yet one more Russian piece that did not make it into my collection! And from a casual collector nonetheless! I thought it was bad enough that I had to come after the razing of Russian material by from a short list of Russian buyers at the show, I'm guessing.

Great coins though. I just found no Russian worth buying in my price range. Plenty above my price range and Moneta had several nice Catherine 5K pieces but all duplicates for me. He had them priced to move, especially with the relatively recent spike in large Russian copper prices. But nothing that screamed "TAKE ME HOME!" to me.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins - congrats. Gotta love those huge hunks of Russian imperial copper!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guy. I'm not likely getting into Imperial Russian coinage any time soon, so don't worry. But, if I see a kickass Rouble at a fair price, I may add that to my European crown collection.

I noticed that two russophiles responded. Doesn't anyone care about the Scudo? That's a very tough piece at that choice condition!

EVP

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Scudo is really nothing to write home about so and therefore I would love to buy it when you lose interest image
    From experience, impossible to find in mint state and I saw it in hand at the NY show and loved it yet had no funds left. Enjoy and let us know what grade it gets.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that Scudo is really nothing to write home about so and therefore I would love to buy it when you lose interest image
    From experience, impossible to find in mint state and I saw it in hand at the NY show and loved it yet had no funds left. Enjoy and let us know what grade it gets. >>

Zohar - I've known you for about two years, and this is the first sign of humor I've experienced from you. image

Btw, in all seriousness, I know how it feels to be lacking funds. In the recent HA CICF auction, there were two coins I really wanted but simply couldn't afford. One was a German States fractional taler in high grade, and the other was a Swiss taler. I didn't even bid on them because I wouldn't be able to pay if I won. image

EVP

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats a nice original looking scudo EVP. I told Zohar that I would love to see more Italian states pieces shared on this forum.
  • Options

<< <i>Thats a nice original looking scudo EVP. I told Zohar that I would love to see more Italian states pieces shared on this forum. >>

Thanks. I would also love to see more high-grade Italian States representation here, but they're just too darn scarce. They interest me more than the Austrian and German States pieces, which are generally more available. I do, however, like the issues from the German bishoprics and abbeys.

EVP

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them. The Siberians are difficult to collect, particularly when you get to the polushka and denezhka coins. The polushka was the last coin I finally found.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I have not yet been able to purchase any Siberian issues. Every time that I think I have found a reasonably priced issue, I check back only to find the price tripled, straight out of my price range. I guess that I will just have to ramp up to those issues.
  • Options

<< <i>Plenty above my price range and Moneta had several nice Catherine 5K pieces but all duplicates for me. He had them priced to move, especially with the relatively recent spike in large Russian copper prices. >>

Do they have a web site? I tried googling, but you can guess what my hits were for "Moneta". image

TIA,

EVP

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Maria Theresa drove an Alfa Romeo image

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    My Scudo finally got graded by PCGS - only took almost FOUR MONTHS!!!

(Please don't ask its grade, but I will say that it's not a bad grade but less than I feel is accurate.)

Here is the SecurePlus image, which isn't really that good (IIRC, it's a slight bit darker in hand, closer to my original image):

• Options
    I like this coin and design. From my readings, the Italians defaced MT's coins as they didn't really like the Habsburg's presence in what is now Italy. These also come with adjustment marks. This coin is tough and regardless of technical grade, I like the look of it. Now... a 4 months wait... ? Thats a bit too long.
  • Options
    Zohar,

I think it would be nice to see your coin in this thread so the viewership can see both our nice pieces together.

EVP

• Options
  • Options
    Z - which image is the more faithful of your coin?

• Options
    I would say a cross of the two. Some rosey toning.

This is the Coinfacts image - LINK
  • Options
    Moneta is Kenn Hollister, who I happen to quite like as a person and first did business with when I was a teenager. He sells on VCoins. Great people and I look forward to seeing him again at ANA here in Chicago in a week.