Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Canadian mint is churning out instant rarities these days..

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Lots of 5 oz gold coins with mintages of not more than 200, kilo coins with mintages of 20. Are these things ever going to be worth much more than bullion?
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did this years ago with platinum fractional sets with wild animals on them. Look how those turned out....
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of 5 oz gold coins with mintages of not more than 200, kilo coins with mintages of 20. Are these things ever going to be worth much more than bullion?

You could have asked the same thing of Pandas 10+ years ago. Imagine the answers you would have received, and how wrong they would have been.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of 5 oz gold coins with mintages of not more than 200, kilo coins with mintages of 20. Are these things ever going to be worth much more than bullion?

You could have asked the same thing of Pandas 10+ years ago. Imagine the answers you would have received, and how wrong they would have been. >>

Not really a fair comparison. China has a growing middle class and a strong collector and investor base that recognizes top tier TPG grading and drives demand for high-end bullion material. Canadians, on the other hand, have a weak collector base, don't have a holder that investors would be attracted to (let's be honest here, ICCS holder looks like something put together in a back of a van and most canadian dealers disagree with PCGS and NGC grading standards), and a quickly rising credit-market household debt (I think last numbers are somewhere around 165% of disposable income).
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really a fair comparison. China has a growing middle class and a strong collector and investor base that recognizes top tier TPG grading and drives demand for high-end bullion material. Canadians, on the other hand, have a weak collector base, don't have a holder that investors would be attracted to (let's be honest here, ICCS holder looks like something put together in a back of a van and most canadian dealers disagree with PCGS and NGC grading standards), and a quickly rising credit-market household debt (I think last numbers are somewhere around 165% of disposable income).

I chuckled when I saw the comment about the ICCS holders - truer words were never spoken. I think that the collector base for Canadian coins is stronger than noted here, thanks in some small measure to the number of avid Canadian coin collectors south of their border, but not for the Mint's "collector" coins, which seem to be readily available in the after market for less than the issue price.