Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

8 reale etc. (photography practice) Are these worth getting slabbed?

Hey guys. Just wanted to show these off and get your guys feedback.
My DOF is a little off, but I actually took these out for some quick photos so I could sell them...but after looking at the results I think I want to keep them! haha

These photos are 100% untouched and these coins actually look even better in hand.

QUESTION: Are these worth getting slabbed? I'm mostly a US coin guy so I lean more towards yes on that...but I don't know.

1789 Fonrobert proclaiming Carlos IV accession in Lima

1821 Guatemala

1767 Pillar MO

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great - like you mentioned, just experiment with DOF to compensate for the tilt and you got it! I remember these - used to belong to DeiGratia before, if i'm not mistaken.
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks great - like you mentioned, just experiment with DOF to compensate for the tilt and you got it! I remember these - used to belong to DeiGratia before, if i'm not mistaken. >>

Yep! Those are the ones.
    Thanks for the input
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if as you state they are original I'd surely have them graded as they look like nice pieces - I admit its hard to tell from these pictures - good luck either way image
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if as you state they are original I'd surely have them graded as they look like nice pieces - I admit its hard to tell from these pictures - good luck either way image >>

They are original
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if as you state they are original I'd surely have them graded as they look like nice pieces - I admit its hard to tell from these pictures - good luck either way image >>

They are original >>

I was skeptical about these, but the one I got from DeiGratia with similar color was slabbed without any issues by PCGS. The first two might be bodybagged for different reasons, though. First one is a proclamation medal without a denomination, so PCGS is out of the question, plus it has some obverse scratches. The planchet defect of the 1821 Guatemala piece might keep it out of PCGS holder, but NGC might give it a pass. And the 1767 looks like a nice XF40-45 piece. The only thing is the surface looks a little grainy on my screen - not sure if this is die rust or perhaps signs of corrosion due to exposure to salt water or some other environment.