Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Excuse me while I sweep up the broken teeth from where my jaw just hit the floor.

Wow, wow, and WOW.

Not ALL coin jewelry is tragic. Sometimes it's mind-blowing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Too bad they didn't have the matching necklace.image

Richard
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    spot +10% image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>spot +10% image >>

Wouldn't THAT be somethin', huh.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the coins real?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Yes, I believe they are, though the jewelry is not ancient, but rather from the 19th century.

I think that is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I'd love to see the Met. Last time I was in NYC I was six years old. They must have been putting the finishing touches on the new Twin Towers at the World Trade Center. Been a while, in other words.

• Options
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Thank you, WB2. I was looking for that, but just didn't browse deeply enough.

Ay, Chihuahua. Talk about eyecandy.

PS- some random thoughts:

One, I wonder what caused the Vespasian to tone so darkly.

Two, I wonder what the reverses look like and if they're just as visible as the obverses are in those mounts.

Three, I love how the 19th century jeweler emulated the ancient style, using those cabochon gems. When I first happened across those pictures, I thought the bracelet was as ancient as the coins. Fantastic.

• Options
    Cornelius Ruxton Love, Jr. donated the necklace to the museum in 1967.

He made his money the old-fashioned way, he married an heiress.

Here's an interesting article on one of his daughters, archeologist Iris Love:

http://www.departures.com/articles/love-among-the-ruins

Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Oh, and hey- remember how I posted a thread about ancient jewelry a while back, and some overly kind soul just happened to buy the Capricorn ring I had admired, and sent it to me anonymously, totally out of the blue? Well, maybe that same person will read this thread, and... image

(j/k) image

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Not as flashy but still earned a double take from me....

Papal states coinage necklace

• Options
    Thank you Lord M for bringing these interesting tidbits to our attention. I always enjoy them.

And WillieBoyd's description of how ol' Cornelius earned his money made me smile.

That's certainly some unique coin jewelry.

Still makes me cringe. image
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that papal lot is tempting. Hate to see all of the holes, but at least several of the more ornate mounts are still intact providing some insight into how these looked when they were being used. Certainly much more interesting than the cut off and attempted "repair" you see frequently on these. Would love to have the 2 piastre at the upper right and central right, great looking fancy mounts.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, that papal lot is tempting. Hate to see all of the holes, but at least several of the more ornate mounts are still intact providing some insight into how these looked when they were being used. Certainly much more interesting than the cut off and attempted "repair" you see frequently on these. Would love to have the 2 piastre at the upper right and central right, great looking fancy mounts. >>

You are right - its interesting to see the original mount before the damage is done removing it. Looking beyond the mounts and holes, the upper row has some tough piastras.
  • Options

<< <i>Not as flashy but still earned a double take from me....

Papal states coinage necklace

image >>

That is also ubercool.