Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    Appears to be St George and the Dragon , patron Saint of England but what it is , i don't know.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe these jetons (yes, it is a jeton) were struck circa 1600-1800. There are some pages about them out there in cyberspace somewhere, but I just tried "st george jeton" as a Google keyword and an exact match has eluded me thus far. I didn't dig very deeply.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enter Kremnitz in the search engine and you will see other pieces of this type; not quite jetons, thought the one imaged here probably is one.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    There were a couple of links for these a while back. Here's the one I found:

link 1

These have been struck for some time and as I recall were sometimes used as charms for soldiers. Note that the mount/loop seems to have been broken from yours. The reverse features Christ on a boat calming the seas and the legend is something like a refuge in times of trouble. As noted in the text, I have a few of these and think these would be an interesting topical series to collect.

edited to add: Aha! here's the other link I was looking for: link 2

BTW Smitty, I'd be interested if you're selling this,

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!