Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman Empire: Galba (68-69 AD), bronze as

GALBA (68-69 AD), bronze as, DIVA AVGVSTA, Spanish (Tarraco?) mint, ca. 68 AD

Obverse- SER GALBA IMP CAESAR AVG P M TR P P P, laureate head right.
Reverse- DIVA AVGVSTA, female figure (Livia?) standing left, holding patera and sceptre.

RIC 67, 28 mm, 11.6 g. NGC Fine (Strike 3/5, Surface 3/5), cert. #4094568-009. Ex-"king_radio" (eBay), UK, February, 2012. Purchased raw.

Galba can be moderately tough, as are all of the short-reigning Civil War emperors of 69 AD. A lot of his coins (at least the ones within my budget) are pretty miserable looking. I thought this one was decent for the price (which worked out to just a hair over $200 with the exchange rate). I liked it for the clear portrait and name. The almost black patina is not bad at all. The British seller was very friendly and easy to deal with, and we ended up swapping several chatty emails.

Main Roman Imperial Collection list

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Galba is underrated in my eyes and very tough to find with nice surfaces. image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    Good job - I like it!
    Finem Respice
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, LordM! I'm jealous. I did well this weekend both in terms of how many Emperors I was able to pick up and how well I stayed within my budget even though I was surely tempted by many high end coins that would have ruined not only my coin bankroll but me financially for most of a year.

I do not think I saw a Galba piece all throughout the CICF.